What do you think these are? How much should a string like these cost?

LedaM

Community member
What do you think these are? How much should a string like these cost?
pink FW strand.jpg

To me (not an expert) they look like freshwater pearls because from the photo, some of them look a little flattened or "eggy." Freshwater pearls (except for some of the newer, large bead nucleated ones) don't have a round nucleus inserted to form around so they often have that shape.

It's hard to tell exactly what you have there, though. Can you take some photos on a white paper towel, preferably in natural filtered light, such as from a covered patio or indoors by a window? Then we could get a better look.

Also, how many mm are the pearls? How long is the strand? What metal is the clasp made of? How would you describe the color?

They look like the bead-nucleated freshwaters we are seeing more of these days. Some strands at TJ Maxx have been seen lately at $299 but those were multicolored stands, 12-15mm. I have not yet seen any bead nuke all-white strands there.

I think maybe some of the bead nukes have non-round nucleuses. I don't know this for sure but I see off-round bead nukes on other websites, so have concluded this may be the case.

What size are they?

Size: I believe 12-15mm
The strand is ~17in
metal clasp is 14kt

Here are more pictures against paper towel: (tried to capture with natural light)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 1 with penny.jpg
    1 with penny.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 35
My guess is Pearl Dreams is right, bead nucleated freshwaters at that large of a size. Also that peachy-pink color further indicates freshwaters. I think it would be very unusual in South Sea Pearls. Yes, the surfaces are a bit rough. Someone on here recently posted a 12-15mm strand like these but they were multi-colored and looked to be in better shape, and she paid $299. That seems very inexpensive, but still if you are asking what you can get for them secondhand, I'd think probably not more than $200. But again, I'm no expert. :)

Thank you for all the feedback so far.. young spat here so I am learning...

That is the same size at the T J Maxx strand. I see now they are not white.
So the going price is around $300 if you are buying them, less if you bought them and are selling them.

$300 at TJMaxx???..wow! didn't see anything these at my TJmaxx. I saw other ones that I didn't care for.

Is $300 for the quality and size a good deal?

I have freshwater pearls this size and with the same look. They are worth what you want to pay for them as Pearl Dreams say :) We've having a good talk about the fads and fashions of pearls here on PG and I would say these large FW water pearls comes in that category.

This strand is not to be considered an investment but if it's a look you like and you are not spending money you'd rather save for even better pearls, they are right for you.

- Karin

Well, if she has them in hand to re-photograph them, she probably owns them. The feedback holds true though.

I like that they're greenly-pink. I like them for fun, and the luster's nice!

Last edited:
Back