No announcement yet.

Two crazy Edison Pearls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ashley, the best Edison always were metallic. I have a necklace of my own which is all Edisons from about a year before they were Edisons. That's four years ago when they were just a single tub of prototype bead nucleated pearls. I spent about three hours putting together a necklace of various colours, but all metallic. That's also when the first ripples appeared (remember finding those eight strands Nerida? Four each!)
    In that short time the technology has 'escaped' and I'd say Mings and 'unbrand' bead nuked pearls are one harvest behind only (if that) in terms of quality. Lower prices too.
    Author:Pearls A Practical Guide published by Crowood Jan 2021
    www.pearlsapractical.guide

Comment

Kevin those will make beautiful rings ! I can't get over the mirror luster...in the photo the one on the left looks quite coppery .. is that true in real life or is that just the photograph ?

Wendy - post a photo of your Edison necklace .. or is it in forums somewhere?
      https://www.instagram.com/pearlzaustralia/?hl=en
      https://www.etsy.com/shop/pearlzaustralia

Comment

Originally posted by pearlescence View Post
        In that short time the technology has 'escaped' and I'd say Mings and 'unbrand' bead nuked pearls are one harvest behind only (if that) in terms of quality. Lower prices too.
        Since you didn't visit the show, I'm assuming this was your main shopping stop?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6185.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	358158

If those vendors stock is what we're basing it on then Grace is still well ahead of the competition in terms of production and quality. There's only one vendor in that building that has top grade "edisons"(equivalent to Grace's AAAAA), but not very many and not as good as the best Grace pearl has to offer.

Nobody else has quite the same quality as these pearls I bought from Grace. I saw Jeremy with a bag of rare color Edisons from Grace as well, including an insane bright orange pearl.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5511.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	358159

Mings are getting better and certainly more plentiful but most are chalky white or pale pastel colors - they got a ways to go IMO.

As for the mystery new pearl you've discovered, it just sounds like a normal souffle pearl to me?? It's pretty common to be able to feel the mud nucleus rattle inside a big souffle. Bead nuked souffle seems like an oxymoron to me?

Can you take more pics? Are you willing to slice it open in the name of science?
        Last edited by Kevin Canning; 10-07-2014, 03:09 PM.
        Kevin Canning
        Pearls Of Joy
        www.PearlsOfJoy.com
        Read My Blog
        FaceBook Fan Page
        1-800-451-1411

Comment

Oh Kevin, problem solved then hahahaha. Katbran, the smell was related to Souffle pearls with the mud inside, however some baroque Indonesian South Sea pearls can have a smell also.

Comment

But why are they rippled?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Canning View Post
              Since you didn't visit the show, I'm assuming this was your main shopping stop?
              [ATTACH]31566[/ATTACH]

If those vendors stock is what we're basing it on then Grace is still well ahead of the competition in terms of production and quality. There's only one vendor in that building that has top grade "edisons"(equivalent to Grace's AAAAA), but not very many and not as good as the best Grace pearl has to offer.

Nobody else has quite the same quality as these pearls I bought from Grace. I saw Jeremy with a bag of rare color Edisons from Grace as well, including an insane bright orange pearl.

[ATTACH]31567[/ATTACH]

Mings are getting better and certainly more plentiful but most are chalky white or pale pastel colors - they got a ways to go IMO.

As for the mystery new pearl you've discovered, it just sounds like a normal souffle pearl to me?? It's pretty common to be able to feel the mud nucleus rattle inside a big souffle. Bead nuked souffle seems like an oxymoron to me?

Can you take more pics? Are you willing to slice it open in the name of science?
              Wow, those are gorgeous pearls!
              http://www.oceanscovejewelry.com
              Instagram: Ocean's Cove

Comment

Great photo, Kevin!

Comment

I did say that mings and unbranded bead nucleated were behind still Kevin. If we're getting sniffy about who we buy from.
                  Those pearls do indeed look like souffles - again, I said that. But the padding is brown hard flakes and there is a definite bead, not a lump of mud. Not only would a lump of mud not rattle as audibly but you could see the perfectly normal bead nucleus in some of the pearls where the nacre was missing and there was one loose in the bag.
                  I agree, the finest Edisons are stupendous quality. But the non Edisons are chasing them and I saw some about an A behind them (that's if we're going to the AAAAA which Grace uses, which we won't, will we because we only ever use AAA as the top grading) Certainly not chalky white. I have a strand with some lush purples.
                  Last edited by pearlescence; 10-08-2014, 08:48 AM.

Comment

I think what's absolutely killing me here is that I've seen plenty of Edisons, but Kevin's find really caught me by surprise - definitely wasn't expecting THAT level of luster. Color and size and even roundness (but most that I've seen have visible variations), but that luster is stunning - Gem Quality. Definitely cream of the crop!

Definitely mud or a mud mixture is used for Souffl? pearls; it takes days to soak and clean it out (and yes it totally stinks, but it's a dirty job and someone's gotta do it ). I don't want to start a flame war or anything, but Kevin has a point re: bead nuked Souffl?s. They're supposed to be light as a feather after you clean them out properly, and you can't remove a bead. I too, would love to see a bead-nuked Souffl? sliced open for scientific purposes if you can swing it.
                    Ashley McNamara, CEO
                    Pure Pearls
                    Toll Free: 800-762-0977
                    LIKE US on FaceBook
                    FOLLOW US on Pinterest

Comment

Would LOVE to see your lush Purples, Wendy - please post when you get a moment! I'm a sucker for purple and blue pearls, truly.
                      Ashley McNamara, CEO
                      Pure Pearls
                      Toll Free: 800-762-0977
                      LIKE US on FaceBook
                      FOLLOW US on Pinterest

Comment

I'm not going to smash one of the five I bought (which include that blue pearl). You'll just have to take or leave what I said I saw.

Comment

Those pearls are truly stunning ..I can't get over the mirror like surface . They will make gorgeous rings ! Are we going to get a photo of the Orange one Jeremy found That's a colour I'd love to see ... Can't even imagine it !

Comment

Working...
                          X