Freshwater pearls in TJMaxx

LedaM

Community member
Has anyone seen the pearls sold in TJMaxx? I saw acouple of necklaces and earrings and the i was amazed at how big they were.

I have seen them, but last year I bought a Lucoral brand strand marked "cultured pearls" on the Lucoral label, and "Freshwater pearls" on the T J Maxx label, which turned out to be imitations when I looked at them with a loupe and did the rubbing-together test. I returned them as I decided they were too heavy, even if they were a reasonable price for their size and appearance.

Two weeks ago at T J Maxx I saw another Lucoral strand. These were about 14mm, obviously imitations (not a very good coating) and marked $24.99. I asked to try them on, with no intention to buy, and the (young) salesgirl proceeded to tell me that they were "mother of pearl".

I explained to her that they were actually imitation pearls, very reasonably priced, which may have a shell bead inside under the coating, but that that didn't make them mother of pearl beads. I went on to explain a bit about mother of pearl, and about what Lucoral sells, but I could see from her expression that she was thinking, "I'll just keep quiet and tolerate this ignorant customer until she goes away" -- so I left! :D

Buyer beware at T. J. Maxx!

They are also selling real ripple type FWP (bead- nucleated), but they are poor quality with large bare spots, and not cheap.

That is sad, but kind of funny too. I usually stop with the "pearl education" when their smile freezes and the eyes begin to glaze over :)

TJ's varies depending on the type...Runway stores usually have a much higher end collection in their stores than regular TJs. I have purchased Michele watches, designer jewelry (in 18k gold) and designer handbags at Runway TJs. That said, I prefer Nordstrom Rack and Off Fifth for their jewelry selections.

That's funny Marianne ;) I am guilty of doing the same. I can't shop in jewelry stores anymore, I'm impossible to bs these days and the clerks get that "deer in the headlights" look when I tell them what they're actually trying to sell. :rolleyes:

I too have seen TJ Maxx fresh water pearls =I saw a fireball neckace and coin necklace -all under $80. Quality not so great.

Katbran - That's an unbelievably wrong price for dyed fwps! Yikes!

Back