Show Me Your Fancy Color Metallic Freshwater Pearls!!

Oh, I have that problem with big pearls, too. When I'm taking the strand apart, I try to pull out pearls that have larger holes, especially for the ends. But that only works if the pearls are all the same size. And then I still struggle with the very last pearl. I use a hemastat to grab the end of the needle and yank it through.

I love your necklace. You'll have to give us neck shots!

Thanks gemandpearlover and 86CG. I get more comments and compliments on that giant fireball than any of my other pearls.

At risk of being gauche, what is the size of the giant fireball pearl? I've never seen one in real life. :rolleyes:

Still, the knotting at the beginning and end is a hot mess.

View attachment 65494
Well in this picture it looks great! What size thread did you use? I was planning on knotting a necklace of smaller pearls (3-3.5mm) to use as a chain, and planned on using the thinnest Beader's Secret. Now I'm wondering if I have the patience...

CricketBug, the fireball is 32mm x 22mm. It's a big one!

Ooooh, that *is* a biggie! On-screen, it looks like a monster size. LOL! When it comes to pearls and sparklies, for me, bigger is often better. :D Love how you've put this together!

CBPearllover, I used #40 Beader's Secret and it was tight. Although the doubled thread went theough the pearls easily, beginning and ending the strand where the thread was quadrupled was no fun at all. I had to spend a lot of time with a pearl reamer trying to enlarge the holes and even then it was tricky. (Not to mention I reamed my finger numerous times.). I think I'd use wire for 3-3.5 pearls.

CBPearllover, I used #40 Beader's Secret and it was tight. Although the doubled thread went theough the pearls easily, beginning and ending the strand where the thread was quadrupled was no fun at all. I had to spend a lot of time with a pearl reamer trying to enlarge the holes and even then it was tricky. (Not to mention I reamed my finger numerous times.). I think I'd use wire for 3-3.5 pearls.
Oh wow, yeah that does not sound like fun. I've never used beading wire, but I've been needing an excuse to try. I know it's necessary to ream out pearls sometimes, but I've only done larger ones. And those reamers are so sharp WHOA :( Good information, thanks for the heads-up.

Such a beautiful combo Parrot Lady. You did a great job on the stringing. Not sure I want to string anything that tiny, but I may have to soon. I just love tiny pearls!

Stringing tiny pearls can be a challenge. Last summer I redesigned a 9 row pearl choker into a bracelet (9 rows on each side of a platinum and diamond centerpiece). I ended up using Beader's Secret #40 and removing one strand from the 3 ply. The pearls were super small, all under 3.0mm.

If I can remember to do it! It was a life saver...otherwise I would have had to use silk thread (which comes in super tiny diameter). I don't mind silk per se, but I have a very strong preference for using Beader's Secret.

Wow, I can't even imagine the drill hole size, so small! A useful tip for sure, with the other knotters, looking forward to your technique.

This necklace is a work in progress. I keep adding pearls I like and removing ones I don't. Yesterday I re-strung the necklace adding a pewter raven accent piece. :)

IMG_0529.jpg
IMG_0533 (1).jpg

Just an FYI, while she was in HK Katbran took a photo of an amazing strand of gem quality cultured freshwater pearls that's up on her Instagram. While they aren't technically hers (she didn't purchase them), they are amazing and worth a look see!

my first purchase from etsy..
i really like the color of some of the pearls.. but it feels too heavy on my neck (60cm),.,..
thought it would be delivered within a week as I live just next to china..but i had to wait 3weeks..

KakaoTalk_20190308_093424593.jpg
KakaoTalk_20190308_093425411.jpg

Seoulite: Maybe you can re-string it so it'll be lighter and keeping only your favorite pearls on it :). Which vendor did you get it from?

Back