Nacre thickness of soufflé pearls

jshepherd

Over the past couple of years one of the most common questions we've fielded about soufflé pearls is related to their durability. Because they're hollow, might they break if dropped? Over the weekend Hisano cut a large one in half and I measured the nacre thickness. In the thinnest areas it's still more than 2 mm thick. In the thickest it's well over 4 mm.

It would take a hammer blow to smash these pearls. Then again, a hammer blow would smash just about any pearl.

Oh yeah, and they really don't smell bad when you cut them open.

A soufflé pearl sliced in half and polished

saw your post on facebook - that's pretty impressive nacre thickness.

Oh, the pearl colors on that blog post are just delicious!

Might that project be related to the other sliced pearl you showed? I am really fascinated by what look like growth rings in the pearl. I don't really know much about the process of how a pearl is created (although I am learning thanks to this site) but it looks sort of like agate inside a geode. Thanks for sharing!

I can't get into Hisano's project at this point. That would get me into trouble!

There is the full photo of the sliced pearl above on our blog though. I made the image clickable and zoomable (is that even a word?!) too. So if you want an up-close view of those rings take a look at it on the blog. You can really see the rings well when you zoom in.

Jeremy, Thank you for such an informative post! I picked up one of the souffles pictured in your blog. Hisano was very nice in helping me find it. I absolutely adore my new pendant and I wanted to share it with everyone here as well as on the other site. :eek:

Attachments

• souffle pendant.jpg
    souffle pendant.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 24
mcmoo -- your souffle makes me smile -- so very very pretty. Wear it in good health!

And now we know why Hisano was cutting souffles in half!!!

That is a delightful pendant! I really like the setting style and the colors is dreamy.

Back