Help needed with buying decision

smory

I have found a nice freshwater pearl pedant from a Chinese supplier for my wife?s 30th bithday. Currently the item is on sale for 195 $ for two more days. It used to be 779 $ but they lower it for Valentine?s Day.

I have checked the feedbacks for the product, and it?s very good by people who both it for 779 $. Also the supplier has excellent overall feedback and guaranties . I have checked the supplier on the Internet and I was able to find positive info. I found even a video of their normal store in Shanghai made by a visitor from US. The product is not from eBay, but from other site.

This is the description of the product:
Kind of Pearl: Top Quality Freshwater Pearl
Size:10-11mm
Surface: Almost No Flaw
Shape: Round
Luster: Very High
Color: Natural White (chromatic aberration are allowed)
Setting:18k White/Yellow Gold
Gold Chain 18 K: 0.9g-1.1g/43cm-45cm
Country of origin: China

Supplier is able to provide a certificate from Shanghai Jewelry Test Appraisal Office for some fee.
My question is if it is worth the money (195 $ + customs). I am a novice with the pearls...

These are the stock photos of the item:
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Thank you very much for the advice and this great forum and articles.

If you are exporting from Shanghai to a member state of the European Union you will have to add in duty and tax to the price, plus the cost of customs clearance levied by the shipping company (but you know that)

A remarkable price reduction.

I think this may be the item? http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...hite-Yellow-Gold-Chain/414729_1091081918.html

Be sure you understand all the policies, including the return policy, in case the pearl is less nice/less lustrous than you hoped. If you have opened the package, they do not accept it for a return. But how can you tell if you like the pearl if you are not allowed to open the packaging to inspect it?
http://www.aliexpress.com/buyerprotection/seller_guaranteed.html#4

Even if you didn't open it, shipping purchases back to China can be very costly if you have to have tracking to prove they received it back.

smory,

Welcome.
Suggest you take a look at Wendy's shop. She may have something comparable you might want to consider. The link is in the post just above. Pearlescence is located in the EU and it would save you quite a bit, yet you still have a beautiful gift for your wife. The pendant you've found is rather high price for freshwater pearl, even though they say it is marked way down. Then adding duties, taxes and customs, could be very expensive.

PD, I suspect the poster knows the return policy very well indeed...

Maybe so, but it bears pointing out anyway...for other readers. :cool:

I think this is a case where the original price was inflated to make the sale price look like a good deal.

I think this may be the item? http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...hite-Yellow-Gold-Chain/414729_1091081918.html

Be sure you understand all the policies, including the return policy, in case the pearl is less nice/less lustrous than you hoped. If you have opened the package, they do not accept it for a return. But how can you tell if you like the pearl if you are not allowed to open the packaging to inspect it?

Even if you didn't open it, shipping purchases back to China can be very costly if you have to have tracking to prove they received it back.

yes, it is this product. I didn't post the link as I didn't know if I could based on the forum rules. You made me doubt about their policies, so I contacted the seller to clarify it. They suggested to prolong the period to send it back for any reason when I don't like it for 15 days.
I checked the cost of sending it back. It would be around 7,80 ?.

When I count with tax and import duties, the price would be 190 ? (255 $).
There is a point which I considered also. It comes with a 18K golden chain 0,9 g. I checked similar chain in local stores and in internet stores in Slovakia and it costs around 90 ? for 14K.

Than for me, it ?s like 100 ? for the pendant itself. Do you think it is worth this sum of money based on the description of quality?
H8
Thanks for the tip for the Wendy's store. I will also check it. There is also Valentine's Day :)

smory,

I don't think the 15 days are the issue.
The issue is that you are not allowed to return it if you open the packaging to look at the pearl.

This is what it says:
"The criteria of 'not been used and in the original packaging'
1. The products cannot be recovered once opened, and cannot be sold again."

If you can't open the package (probably a plastic bag) how can you tell how good the pearl's luster is? The shininess of the plastic bag will make it hard to judge the luster of the pearl.
And if you do open the bag and decide the pearl isn't nice enough, you won't be allowed to return it, just because you opened the packaging.

I personally would not want to buy pearls with that sort of restriction. I would not want to risk that much money on a pearl I couldn't inspect properly before being committed to keeping it.
But it's up to you.

I have checked this point with the seller, and they assured me that to open the box and see it is not an issue and I can still return it within 15 day period... So ther is no such restriction as you mentioned.

It sounds to me like the original price never happened. It is quite common for stores (both real and on-line) to post a high 'before' price compared to a very special offer. Personally I would not feel safe buying from a company like that. What you can do is compare price and product to what some of the vendors here on the forum offers - not that you have to buy from them but it'll give you some idea about the price range.

Also be aware that if you are charged VAT getting the item into the country it will not be refunded if you decide to return. So it's best to be very sure it's exactly what you want. Good feedback doesn't have to mean that people previously unknown to the vendor bought the item at the original price. Feedback can be bought these days.

- Karin

I'd like to ask you for some sugesstions for the online stores located in EU. The above ones (except pearlescence) are non EU...

Pearl Paradise works with some EU stores, I believe. Anyone know the names?

- Karin

Please, any help? Jeremy, EU partners? Any of our French friends know any? I buy overseas, once or twice from Pearl Paradise and otherwise I make my own jewelry so I can't help.

I assume you are already in touch with Pearlescence in the UK...

- Karin

I was looking at Fresh water pearls from China. They were 12-13mm, round with few blemishes. [DSC03414.jpg]27757[/ATTACH] I don't know if the picture uploaded. It was taken in sunlight. Is this what Chinese Freshwater pearls are to appear in sunlight. Apparently this string was with Mantle tissue, no bead implant, pearls removed polished and placed back in to Mussel. It was approx 1000 USDBluidragon

Last edited:
bludragon,
Those look like mantle-tissue nucleated pearls. Notice they are off-round; this is a common shape for such pearls.

Are you saying that these were grown around a previously-harvested, polished pearl that was re-implanted as a nucleus? Is the seller saying that?

Back