Antique/Vintage Freshwater Strand #1

Gosh, pearls are freaking HARD to get a handle on, lol. Maybe I should take that GIA course, just for fun. Actually, have been toying around with the idea of a gemologist program again (was going to take a local one years ago, I ended up canceling, knew I couldn't do school AND work full time.). Now that I'm not working, might be a good idea. Not sure what I can do afterwards though? (I'm practically house-bound right now, health issues).

Yes! You're right! I've seen freshwater pearls that look exactly like south sea and Tahitian pearls, even the shape! And I have seen natural pearls that look totally ordinary. You just never know these days as everyone ups their game.

The first thing you learn in gemology is the danger in "sight - IDing" a gem. The look gives you a place to start, but testing gives you the guarantee. Most gemologists don't have the equipment to differentiate pearls - that is why you need a lab when you want to be sure with an expensive purchase that doesn't come from a source with a strong reputation in pearls.

Most pearl sales are done on trust. Go ahead and take risks with eBay and have fun, but don't assume that you'll be a winner each time. I will always be the killjoy around here when someone wants us to prove that their pearl are xyz by only seeing a photo, but I'll always enjoy looking! :)

Go ahead and take risks with eBay and have fun, but don't assume that you'll be a winner each time.

eBay is the last place in the world I'd trust to move or purchase natural pearls. To me, the motivation to find bargains on natural pearls enables and breeds fakery. Personally, I cannot bear to even search eBay for naturals, because the listed claims are outrageous, unfounded or outright fraud. It's not easy to sort out for even the most savvy pearl person in the absence of certification and from a few photographs. To buy without certification, warranty, advice or speculatively is a fool's errand.

When it comes to acquiring bona fide naturals, a few hundred dollars won't get anyone's attention unless they are uninformed or don't care. The chances of finding that on eBay is infinitesimal. The deals are better at estate sales, auction houses or even thrift shops.

Back