Antique/Vintage Freshwater Strand #1

mausketeer

So......I received that strand from the UK that the seller said she believed were Scottish mussel pearls (she has an on-line antique and vintage jewelry shop, and looking at her listings, she DID seem knowledgeable about pearls in general. She had sold strands that she listed as old Akoyas, 1980's freshwaters, and Biwas - that looked like real Biwa so..... give this background whatever weight you will).

This strand is about 15". The pearls are about 2-3mm. Lovely lustre showing many colours. Lots of gold. Pink, green, even blue overtones. The clasp looks older. Only mark is 750 (for 18k gold) but it's very worn off. The clasp looks very solid, the ends that hold the thread aren't the "fold over" kind, they are solid. There is a bar inside to attach the thread to.

So, do we still feel these are "rice Krispy" pearls? Even with an old clasp? (clasp is older than 1970's-1980's I'm sure). Thoughts and opinions please! Thanks so much!

Jodie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 28
I remember this strand, I had them on my watch list :) I went to bid and hit the wrong button lol. I thought they were nice, maybe not everyone's cup of tea but I like them. Not sure what they are though. Sorry I wasn't any help. Congrats on them I like the color and I thought the gold content was higher than advertised because of the color and the connectors were different.

Real natural Scottish pearls don't have flats. Those look like 'rosebuds'/drusy/granulateds.
A 750 mark on UK gold is fairly modern (check the London Assay Office for details)

There is a very good chance the strand originated in Europe, the way it has been finished off is a strong indicator that they are of European origin.

They use this type of hollow bead, often with shellac or sometimes bees wax which is heated, then the thread is inserted and sealed.

The 750 mark is also an indicator of European origin, the UK did not start using metric until the late nineties.

As to the origin of the pearls themselves, they could actually be Biwa's - I have a genuine strand of Biwa's from the mid 80's, these look very much like your photo's.

Oh maybe Biwa's! Interesting! Thanks guys for all your input. Yah, not everyone's cup of tea but I think they're cool. Wearing them right now (thread seems strong).

Charmy (I hope it's okay I call you that, I think it's cute, like your kid in your avatar! Adorable,) there is a strand on Ebay UK right now that is identical, but they are listed as "probably Bahrain" (I think, Persian gulf in any case). Not sure if the listing is still up...... I'll look for it.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 29
I totally cool with Charmy :) Thank you! My lil guy is my pride and joy, he keeps me busy. And thanks for your help, I wouldn't be surprised if we bid on the same item again ;)

That was actually a different strand than the "Basra" pearls I was thinking of (couldn't remember that word for the life of me...... losing my mind.....). THIS is the strand that the seller calls "natural Basra". Yikes, $355 is out of my price range. Do we agree they look the same as the strand I got? Or do I still have a LOT to learn about shapes? (seems these shapes stump everyone, huh?). Gosh, they're dirty......
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400506831109?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 25
In the past few weeks, we have had several examples of the pearls in the post right above mine. They are all being sold as anything but what they are, CWFP. Basra and Tay pearls are the usual claims. While the claims are almost believable, I have a 4 foot strand of them which is worth about $45.00 for 4ft. (3 strands @ $15.00) That ad is particularly egregious. Dirty them up and sell them for antique. I don't even think they are the old rice pearls which are now almost vintage; I guess they have been recently flooding the market as being old, at least, these were thought to be old. I traded some work for them, so at least it wasn't cash as they were priced at $220.00!!!!
first import 077.jpg

Gosh, pearls are freaking HARD to get a handle on, lol. Maybe I should take that GIA course, just for fun. Actually, have been toying around with the idea of a gemologist program again (was going to take a local one years ago, I ended up canceling, knew I couldn't do school AND work full time.). Now that I'm not working, might be a good idea. Not sure what I can do afterwards though? (I'm practically house-bound right now, health issues).

Gosh, pearls are freaking HARD to get a handle on, lol. Maybe I should take that GIA course, just for fun. Actually, have been toying around with the idea of a gemologist program again (was going to take a local one years ago, I ended up canceling, knew I couldn't do school AND work full time.). Now that I'm not working, might be a good idea. Not sure what I can do afterwards though? (I'm practically house-bound right now, health issues).

Basra and CWFP are worlds apart. Basra do not resemble CFWP's in the slightest. Wrinkles and rice shapes are mussel features because pearls from mytilids come from the mantle skirts, not the gonadal pockets. In fact, mussels don't even have gonadal pockets.

Basra pearls come in all shapes and sizes, but are normally round(ish) and have dazzlingly deep lustre. Trust me, if you've seen them with your own eyes, you'd never be fooled by FWP again.

"In fact, mussels don't even have gonadal pockets."
OK, Dave.... I'm sure everyone else is wondering where the poor mussels stash..... em, given they don't have pockets?

"In fact, mussels don't even have gonadal pockets."
OK, Dave.... I'm sure everyone else is wondering where the poor mussels stash..... em, given they don't have pockets?

Haha!

It's pretty simple. Pearl oysters (pteriods) have gonads which are anatomically a single organ in two lobes. This is surrounded by an epithelial membrane. Between these sections are spaces where pearls can be formed and where cultural grafting takes place. In mussels, the gonads share the same space as the mantle skirts. Not as a single organ, but a series of gonoducts leading from the heart outward.

Pearls do indeed form in the mantles of pteriods, but are often tiny. Also, pteriods are able to extend and retract their mantles, which contributes to "rotating" the pearls, hence tend to be more rounded. Mussel mantles are fixed to the shell at the level of the periostracum, so they do not have the ability as in pteriods. This causes the pearls to become wrinkled and elongated.

The best analogy I can think of is this. Take a ball of clay in one hand and squeeze it. The end result is a oval shape with ridges. That's the mussel effect. Now, take that same ball of clay and roll it between both hands, you'll end up with a rounder shape.

Haha!

It's pretty simple. Pearl oysters (pteriods) have gonads which are anatomically a single organ in two lobes. This is surrounded by an epithelial membrane. Between these sections are spaces where pearls can be formed and where cultural grafting takes place. In mussels, the gonads share the same space as the mantle skirts. Not as a single organ, but a series of gonoducts leading from the heart outward.

Pearls do indeed form in the mantles of pteriods, but are often tiny. Also, pteriods are able to extend and retract their mantles, which contributes to "rotating" the pearls, hence tend to be more rounded. Mussel mantles are fixed to the shell at the level of the periostracum, so they do not have the ability as in pteriods. This causes the pearls to become wrinkled and elongated.

The best analogy I can think of is this. Take a ball of clay in one hand and squeeze it. The end result is a oval shape with ridges. That's the mussel effect. Now, take that same ball of clay and roll it between both hands, you'll end up with a rounder shape.

Great description! :cool:

In the past few weeks, we have had several examples of the pearls in the post right above mine. They are all being sold as anything but what they are, CWFP. Basra and Tay pearls are the usual claims. While the claims are almost believable, I have a 4 foot strand of them which is worth about $45.00 for 4ft. (3 strands @ $15.00) That ad is particularly egregious. Dirty them up and sell them for antique. I don't even think they are the old rice pearls which are now almost vintage; I guess they have been recently flooding the market as being old, at least, these were thought to be old. I traded some work for them, so at least it wasn't cash as they were priced at $220.00!!!!
View attachment 25911

Thanks, also to Caitlin - right on pearl sistah! :)

One other thing I should mention are flat spots, which are much more common in mussels for the same reasons described earlier.

Back