Can you get 7-7.5mm freshadamas?

recordaras

Community member
I've been going back and forth between akoya and freshadama, and it looks like I might be getting freshadamas as my first "dressy" set of pearls. However, yesterday I was trying stuff on at Macy's and came to realize that my perfect size is 7-7.5mm: 6mm is just too small, 8mm is too big. However! Freshadamas are currently available as 6.5-7 and 7.5-8mm. Does anyone know if it would be possible to ask them to do a strand that's between those two sizes?

And if anyone happens to have a picture of the 6.5-7 next to the 7.5-8, I would love to see how big of a difference it actually is!

Recordaras,

Well, first off, unless you yourself actually measured the pearls at Macy's, and KNOW the exact size of them, you can't be certain your perfect size is 7-7.5mm. There can easily be a discrepancy and what you tried on and liked could be slightly different from what the tag said.

The vendors here, such as PP, are more than happy to consider creating custom strands, are committed to quality customer service, so asking them if they can do a particular size or even length is all in a day's work for them! They will absolutely let you know if that is something they can do for you!

I don't know if this will help, but I have photographed 2 FW strands I got from PP:

The smaller is 6.5-7.5mm AA/AA+ FWP -- silver fish hook clasp
The larger is 7.0-8.0mm Freshadama in silver-rose tones -- yellow gold ball clasp

The AA/AA+ are whiter looking and a little off-round, but very lustrous. If roundness isn't paramount, the AA+ pearls are wonderful and affordable.
Currently on PP I see 6.5-7mm which can be had in AAA: https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle...m-18-inch-aaa-white-freshwater-pearl-necklace

It would make sense to contact PP and see if they could make a custom strand for you. Be aware that custom work is not returnable.

When I bought my Freshadamas they were being sold in full-mm ranges; these are 7.0-8.0. You'll get more of a sense of what 7-7.5mm would look like if you look at the pearls closer to the clasp end as the largest pearls are in the center of the necklace.

I used a daylight lamp, which tends to make the white paper towel look bluish, so colors are not correct but you can still see comparative size, shape and luster.

Attachments

• AA:AA+  NEXT TO 7-8MM FRESHADAMAS.jpg
    AA:AA+ NEXT TO 7-8MM FRESHADAMAS.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Copper peach
    Copper peach
    32.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Lavender
    Lavender
    34.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Recordaras,
Well, first off, unless you yourself actually measured the pearls at Macy's, and KNOW the exact size of them, you can't be certain your perfect size is 7-7.5mm. There can easily be a discrepancy and what you tried on and liked could be slightly different from what the tag said.
Thank you for your reply, Pattye!
I'll be honest, I did have some doubts about the sizing (all of the ones I tried on didn't specify a range, but said only "6mm" or something like that and the quality was... well, let's just say that was the saddest $600 18" strand of 6mm akoyas I could ever imagine...). However, just this morning I was at Michaels and ventured into the beading area and saw quite a number of beads and faux pearls in two sizes: 6mm and 8mm. I'm guessing that since these beads are machine-made, the size should be fairly accurate? That more or less confirmed what I saw at Macys about the 6mm being too small and 8mm being too large.

For what it's worth, not many of the pearls in a 7.5-8mm strand will be 8mm. You are really talking about a few in the center.

I don't know if this will help, but I have photographed 2 FW strands I got from PP:

This is SO incredibly helpful, thank you so much Pearl Dreams! Actually the difference between 6.5 and 7mm seems so small that maybe I should just stick with the existing size range and not bother PP with any extra labor.

For what it's worth, not many of the pearls in a 7.5-8mm strand will be 8mm. You are really talking about a few in the center.

I know that typically the advice is to go with the larger size, so it can "grow" with you. But in my case I just really didn't enjoy the look of the larger size pearls on me, so I figure I might as well get what I like now and then buy a different strand if and when my tastes change...

Pearl Dreams, both those pearls are beautiful. I'm getting the idea on luster being important.

Decisions Decisions. Maybe I should start with a shorter necklace so I can get better pearls. Ugh. The more I look the more I want! It's hopeless!

Sometimes you are better off saving up and waiting for specials, discount codes, etc.

There are usually specials on Cyber Monday (after Thanksgiving) and before Christmas....

Back