Freshadama for men

Thanks Sarah! I need to get back into the spirit of just enjoying what I see. Attitude adjustment!

Sorry for the late reply, I've been on holidays and I took my phone into the ocean with me so no Internet for a few days.

I got in touch with Josh, looks like swimming with it on, even in pools should be fine. One of the mana necklaces in 12mm is out of my price range, the 10mm would be within it but that might be to small as mentioned before.

Would an 11.4 ish pearl look alright do you think?

I have also been looking at this pearl, I really like the colour on it. Is the luster better on this one?
http://www.etsy.com/listing/159933891/carved-tahitian-black-pearl-133mm-tattoo?ref=af_you_favitem

Thanks for the reference katbran, I had looked at his store, but his pearls looked slightly out of my price range and the colours aren't what I am looking at either on the ones closer to my price range.

Hi Matt,

Peter's pearl is the 10 mm one. What I'll say for Josh's pearls (being the happy owner of a whole strand) is that they have a depth to the colour you don't always see. I have some cheaper baroques but they seem to be dipped in only a few layers of 'paint' in comparison. Plus you'd have the story and the personal contact - if that sort of thing is something you find attractive.

- Karin

Matt_95 I think the 11.4mm would be fine, but if it were me I would save a bit longer and get the 12mm from Josh!

I've found a weight for a fishing line that is a smidge over 10mm and I do really feel it is a lot smaller than I was thinking. I have a roman coin that I was using as a reference to the size I wanted, I thought it was around 10mm, I arrived back in Brisbane and measured it, it's 19mm. Don't think that will ever happen! I'll hunt around and see if I can find some larger weights.

What causes the depth in the colour?

I think this is going to end up being a gift to me, my mother and girlfriend have both said they want to get it for me when I find the one I want. Aperently I am difficult to buy for. If it does end up being a gift, the budget wouldn't be able to go very far above $150.

As far as I know, the greater depth of colour is due to a thicker layer of nacre. Josh treats both his oyesters and his pearls very well :)

- Karin

You're in Australia! I happen to know that Katbran bought some Tahitian pearls when she was in Hiong Kong (I should know, I got bored watching her choosing some strands and ended up buying loads more than I intended just because I sat there and matched up pairs to pass the time - as you do!)
They were bigger than 10mm too - check with her cos I'm sure she could find the right pearl for you then make it up

Just like any farm, some pearls will have thicker nacre others won't. Nobody knows until the pearl has been drilled, and Josh's pearls don't have thicker nacre than another farmer's. Also, Tahitian pearl nacre is opaque, so 0.8 vs 1.8 will not make any difference in the depth of color. Color (at least overall color of harvest) is more influenced by the area or atoll where the pearls are produced. Some atolls consistently produce a lot more grays, whereas others, such as Rikitea, are known for producing vibrant colors and darker pearls.

The size of pearl you go with for a leather piece really depends on the person. I've seen people wear smaller (in the 10 mm range) pearls fine, especially when worn very close to the neck. When worn lower, I feel the larger pearl the better. I personally wear a 15 mm pearl.

I think this is going to end up being a gift to me, my mother and girlfriend have both said they want to get it for me when I find the one I want. Aperently I am difficult to buy for. If it does end up being a gift, the budget wouldn't be able to go very far above $150.

Well, I definitely understand that, having an adult son also. Since you have the leather and such, does that mean you could put the money towards a better pearl?

I like the carving on that pearl, the luster is a just bit better, but I like the color and the size is good. What do you ​think about it? Do you love it? Get it only if you love it.

Last edited:
Back