Deep rings in baroque pearls

CeciliaW

I saw a mention in a Tahitian pearls thread that it was normal to have some chalkiness in the bottom of a ring on the pearls. I read another posting that talked about how the rings are likely formed as the pearl turns inside the oyster/mussel/clam. What I'm wondering about is different pearls I've seen that look like they were cut on a lathe. The rings look cut into the pearl and the edges are sharp and the dips are deep. This would seem to be a flaw to me not a desired thing. Is that really acceptable on a pearl?

Also, I've seen some that looked like sections of the nacre had been rubbed away, or like they'd spun against something making a rubbed circle around the widest part.

Why would a retailer sell pearls that looked so beat up knowing that their name was on the line? I'm talking about $30-$80/strand.

Thanks, Cecilia

Hi Cecilia,

Without actually seeing the specific pearl(s) you are speaking of, it is difficult to say. I have never seen genuine Tahitian pearls for $30-$80 per strand. I have purchased strands for $300+ that had some blemishes and lots of rings, but nice color and luster. It's said there are Tahitian pearls still being illegally exported that do not meet the minimum requirements for nacre thickness. Could you possibly find some specific examples for us to discuss?

Hi Patty,

These are freshwater pearls I'd seen at Tucson. I mentioned the Tahitian pearls because the same subject came up in that area.

I didn't buy them because I thought they looked a bit odd. There were deep gouges and no luster in the dips, just sort of dull. It just looked machined to me, which I thought was a strange thing to do to a big baroque pearl.

I'll see if I can find any pictures on the web.

Thanks,

Cecilia

Ah, yes, freshwaters. That would explain the price, sorry, I misunderstood. The rings and grooves are a natural occurrence.

Also, I've seen some that looked like sections of the nacre had been rubbed away, or like they'd spun against something making a rubbed circle around the widest part.
Yes, I've seen that quite a bit also.

Here's a thread you might enjoy: Ugliest pearl and Jewellery competition

There may be examples of the kinds of pearls you've seen!

Personally I love the ringed pearls, as long as their luster is good. It's a matter of taste.

^^Me too...I like the more casual feel and organic shapes...I recieved some amazing huge ringed freshwaters from Pattye's shop...they are very lustrousand I get compliments every time I wear them!

That ugliest pearl thread was a lot of fun. I do like ringed pearls. That's part of why I'm searching through baroque pearls.

It's the ones I've seen that seem to have cuts into the surface, like if you'd spun it against a sharp pointed chisel and it leaves a sharp edged ditch (teeny but still a ditch). Still looking for pictures.

Thanks for the smiles.

Cecilia

Cecilia,

Here are some examples of ringed pearls, and the last photo of examples with the dull center rubs. Do these look similar to the ones you've seen?

White, pink and purple cultured freshwater (tissue nucleated, no bead)
P1000950_exposure.jpg

These two pearls are Tahitians:
P1000951_exposure.jpg

Close up of white and purple pearls:
P1000952_exposure.jpg

These cfwp have dull rings around the center of the pearl:
P1000954_exposure.jpg

I've seen those ringed freshwaters called screw pearls, which is a reasonable name for them..
And those dull rings around the middle of pearls I call scuffs, they do look like the pearl has been rubbed or scraped like the toe of a child's shoe

those center scuffs are all over the pearls sold at one bead store near my house and NOT all over the pearls at the other. i just assumed it was from rough handling...could that be the case? no idea if it is the source or the store, but at the scuffy store, i stick to findings, mostly. their gemstone beads tend to be a little roughly-handled as well, it seems. lovely people, though.

I've always assumed they were natural areas of low/no luster rather than scuff marks caused by mishandling.

Those scuffs around the center of the pearls are natural, as you say, PD, not caused by mishandling.

Thank you, Wendy, for such descriptive names for the various pearls!

Juliebeth, you have a good eye to spot quality pearls, and disregard the poorer quality. There are lots more commercial/beading quality pearls out there than anyone could imagine, unless you've seen the bags full at Tucson Gem Show!

Oh yes, scuffs are natural , they just look as if someone scraped them on something.
Juliebeth, the shop near you with the scuffed pearls is just selling lower grade pearls than the other one.
I don't see them much these days, but scuffed pearls were more common a few years ago, when quality generally was much lower. My last few strands just got snapped up very happily by someone who teaches classes in making them into medicine.

My last few strands just got snapped up very happily by someone who teaches classes in making them into medicine.

Now that's what a call a win-win! ;)

I just realize that it may have read as if I was still looking for pictures from you, and what I meant was I was still looking for a picture (myself) to show you what I was talking about.

The closest I've come is this strand on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Pearls-Cream-White-Ringed-Baroque-Potato-11mm-12mm-FW-16-Strand-4225-/221224101386?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3381fbe60a#ht_1668wt_679

But even this strand seems to have some nacre in the ditches. The ones I've seen were sharper cuts and there was no shine in the ditch. Sharp edges to the ditches, not raised rings and they were asking upwards of $30/strand.

I know some of you here work with strands that wholesale over $100.

Aaaaanyway, what I guess I wanted to know is how much 'character' is ok? I have seen pieces over the years that looked like a million bucks and pieces that looked like they'd been run over. Is it all just personal preference?

Cecilia

Well, your example is very similar to some pearls in my photo, I'd say. These ringed freshwater pearls are tissue nucleated (no bead inside) with a very small piece of donor tissue, about 2mm square, so the pearl is pretty much all nacre. It may not be shiny, but it still is nacre.

Personally, pearls with dark pits and dark blemishes, and ones with poor luster are ones I avoid. When purchasing less expensive pearls, I buy at least 2 strands, knowing I will have some duds in the mix. But you are correct; it is personal preference also.

When you find more examples, please do add them to this discussion. Photos are helpful for those in coming years who read this thread, as the links stop working after awhile.

Back