Pick my christmas gift: size vs grade

sm84

I've really been wanting a white freshwater pearl rope necklace and this Christmas I am able to pick it out. I have a budget of around $400-450 so here are the options:
1) 65 inch AAA grade white pearl rope 6.5-7mm
2) 60 inch AA+ grade white pearl rope 7.5-8mm

What are people's thoughts on grade vs size? I'm 5'4 and thin (not a stick though) and am 28 yrs old if that matters at all for answers. I don't want to go too small and then want a larger size when older. I also don't know how big of a difference there is between AA+ and AAA grades. I do like the look of round pearls but with a rope I don't know how noticeable the off-roundness would be.

Thanks!

I'd trade the higher quality for the larger pearls. I have some off-round ropes and I don't think it's noticeable unless you are inspecting them closely. But, the smaller size is quite noticeable. To me, 6.5-7.0 is a bit flimsy. The larger ones have more presence. I would definitely prefer the larger pearls. Just my opinion, though. :)

Agree, also because one day you may tire of the rope and want it remade into other pieces. Then you would be older and probably want larger pearls :)

- Karin

I've also been debating adding a rope to my collection. I've been thinking about either 7.5-8 or 8.5-9.5 in 52. Would the 8.5-9.5 be too heavy to enjoy as a rope?

Agree on larger pearls with lesser quality for better visual impact.

DK :)

Hi Naria, the choice of pearl size for a rope also depends on your body stature i.e. if you're petite or medium frame or large frame etc.
I have just sent out a beautiful 8-8.5mm 72 inch rope to a lady who is 5 ft 11 in tall. If you are medium built, then a pearl rope in 8-8.5mm pearls would look great. You can choose a length between 60 inches to 72 inches depending on how many layers of necklace you'd like it to make... In case you'd like a longer rope say up to 90 inches, then I think that you could consider going a size smaller say 7-7.5 mm to compensate for the weight and the bulkiness of the necklace. Hope this helps. :)

Sorry to thread jack. I'm short but plump. 5'1" and probably 18W right now. I generally think that jewelry should match the stature of the person and prefer larger costume jewelery. However, most of my 17-20" pearl necklaces have been in the 7.5-8 range which I think looks good in that length. I'm in my twenties and the neck is still defying gravity for the time being, though all good things must come to an end. If I get a rope, I will probably get something around 50" at first because I would like the flexibility to wear multiple ropes over the look of one very long rope (that and jewelry sometimes gives me a headache).

Well, in that case 50 inches would be a good length to go for. 8-8.5 or 8.5-9.5...? I feel the former would be more easy to wrap and would be easy on the neck and head muscles too in terms of weight. However, if you'd like the bigger size, they would certainly be more eye-catching...and the weight difference would not be that much I suppose. In the end the best choice would be what you are most happy with - so follow your heart! :)

Thanks for the advice, Amrita. I saw your 72" strand and it was lovely, by the way.

Back