Metallic multicolored 9-10mm

Edison pearls are the brand name of the (original?) developer, Grace Pearls. I guess everyone else is another company or pearls sold off by Grace like the Paspaley pearls that don't deserve the Premier brand name....

Interesting, Caitlin, I didn't know that.

I like the name "Moonglow" the best! :)

I saw lavender one in the past exhibition, luster is very nice but not exactly metallic. The one Amrita posted, however, is closer to what I desired. What a gorgeous necklace!

There are plenty of bead nucleated natural colour pearls around which aren't 'Edison' pearls- even Grace has them. It sells 'Edison' pearls separately, even the prototype white ones. Different paperwork even

Okay...what is the difference between Edisons and other in-body (as opposed to flameball) bead-nuke pearls, besides the name? Is it size, quality etc? Or some other difference?

Seeing so many round bead nukes makes me wonder how long until there are no more solid nacre pearls to be bought....I think the solid nacre pearls we have now will someday be hard to find. With a bead inside, the mussels wouldn't have to be left in the water so long...I just looked at the Grace website and they say the bead nuke shortens the cycle by 2/3.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Yes, aren't they "grapes" that leave you agape? :D
Karin, sorry, but sometimes can't resist doing that! ;)
PD, that might happen some time in the distant future, but not anytime soon, I reckon... Right now the Edisons are priced in the range of the SSPs....don't know how that price equation is going to work in the future...

Just think PD you stated this in 2012...ESP perhaps? Funny because this topic came up again many weeks ago now when Jeremy introduced the "Tiny Edisons". I struggled to express my thoughts on that and still have not reconciled my thoughts on it. I like the idea of the very strong colors of edisons and the "round" nature they can produce, but one of CFWP strong points were although most are off round and baroque, they are solid nacre.

Okay...what is the difference between Edisons and other in-body (as opposed to flameball) bead-nuke pearls, besides the name? Is it size, quality etc? Or some other difference?

Seeing so many round bead nukes makes me wonder how long until there are no more solid nacre pearls to be bought....I think the solid nacre pearls we have now will someday be hard to find. With a bead inside, the mussels wouldn't have to be left in the water so long...I just looked at the Grace website and they say the bead nuke shortens the cycle by 2/3.

I can't believe that post was almost 5 years ago, BPD. (I also can't believe I have been on here 10 years come September.)

This has to have been the goal of the Chinese all along: producing truly round FWP -- including large ones-- in shorter periods of time. It makes sense to put a bead inside, and yet...I do love the idea of a solid nacre pearl, even if it's not perfectly round. Most natural pearls are not round, after all.

Back