Grand Baroque Squares

pearlsusie

I am looking for more information on grand baroque square pearls (mainly side drilled) that are making their way into jewelry designs in the last few years. Attached are a few pics from finished products using these pearls available from a couple of well known jewelry outlets in the U.S. I purchased a sample from one, and while it was interesting, the pearls were retouched, and that prompted me to search out more info on where these are cultured (or if they are not "cultured" using traditional means, how they are "made"). Before I purchased the finished product sample, I tried to find these pearls loose in strands - this was very difficult. It has proven easier to just buy these in finished products and strip them so far. Any information on these pearls, where they are "made" or cultured is much appreciated. They are very large (20-25mm x 25-30mm, 5-8mm thick) and very heavy.

Best Regards, Pearl Susie (Jewelry Designer)

SquarePearl_RS.jpgSquarePearlOverstock.jpg

The size is large. To buy loose, a lot depends on where you are. If you are somewhere in the US, you can look for trade shows such as BABE (Bay Area Beading Enthusiasts) or the traveling gem and bead shows for a local stop near you. Or in a local bead store, if you are in a town of any size, there will be something.

I always start by googling the pearl I want, look at 'images' and under 'shopping'. There will be many places that sell that kind of pearl in many colors.

Good luck

The size is large. To buy loose, a lot depends on where you are. If you are somewhere in the US, you can look for trade shows such as BABE (Bay Area Beading Enthusiasts) or the traveling gem and bead shows for a local stop near you. Or in a local bead store, if you are in a town of any size, there will be something.

I always start by googling the pearl I want, look at 'images' and under 'shopping'. There will be many places that sell that kind of pearl in many colors.

Good luck

Looks like Etsy is the winner: http://www.etsy.com/listing/79828975/freshwater-pearlspeacock-pearls-square but I didn't see the same drill. They are drilled like diamonds.

Last edited:
They are cultured. They are cultured with a square, flat bead. What I'd suggest is searching for "square coin pearls." They are grown in China.

I thought as much. I wonder though if they start with a square flat bead, then apply resin for shape, then culture? That was my original thinking. The sample I got included pearls that had been retouched with what looks like nail polish or something similar, but not overtly so - only two or three in a long strand, on one side, discrete. Do you know where in China these are produced? The samples I've seen in finished products are available from two US resale outlets and one in Hong Kong, so far. Many Thanks.

Good luck

Looks like Etsy is the winner: http://www.etsy.com/listing/79828975/freshwater-pearlspeacock-pearls-square but I didn't see the same drill. They are drilled like diamonds.

Yes, I saw this listing awhile back, and have done an extensive google search. I prefer to buy in strands, so I went looking elsewhere, and am currently talking with several pearl suppliers (including one in HK) that don't stock them, but are looking to see if they can get them. The large versions are square and rectangular.

Back