New to pearl-guide and pearls in general, looking for info on pearls I obtained

Hi and welcome :)

I'm not one of the experts around here, but I'd say the pearls are freshwater. The oval shape is very distinct and unique to FW.

- Karin

I wish you would post the photo directly to this site. It is not educational for others that come after not to be able to see the links after they expire- and they always do.... and those pearls are very educational.

That said, they are typical large rice pearls, cultured Chinese freshwater. Pretty, but not at all high end. Good office everyday pearls that can also be worn for dressy occasions.

The Chinese still produce these in huge numbers, so the value is low compared to the more rare pearls. But that puts beautiful low cost pearls into the hands of many.

Lucky us!

I agree, Caitlin-- so often older threads have lost their photos which were merely linked to a hosting site and never uploaded to P-G. It makes the older threads hard to follow sometimes.

I wonder if we can require the photo and not a link. It would really help this issue. Thus, perhaps no commercial links to another site should be allowed in the body of the thread unless the photo is in the thread and the photo itself is the link???

We are not stealing any photo posted here, it is a fair use purpose, if critiquing the photo or using the photo for educational purposes. We do not use the photos to sell, but to learn something about the depicted pearls. The photo itself can link to the source, if offsite. I keep thinking about this-what do you think, PD?

Requiring the photo won't help if the poster is using an image link from a hosting site like Photobucket. If the photo is ever taken off the hosting site, the photo disappears.

Remember all the lovely photos posted by Raisondetre? They are gone now. If the photos are actually uploaded from people's computers, they stay here permanently (unless of course the poster decides to edit manually and remove them, which they can do.)

I think we ought to request that people use the attachment feature and upload from their computers.

Last edited:
I agree those look like oval freshwater pearls.

I wonder if people would be more inclined to upload pictures from their computers on to P-G if the process were simpler....For old timers of P-G, we have gotten used to the process of uploading pictures, but for newcomers it can be a bit confusing....just my two cents..:)

Those are freshwater pearls. in the second photo one of the pearls shows banding that is specific to FW. They are lovely pearls! hope you wear them often :)

Sorry all, I'm new here so I'm not familiar with the photo protocol. Thanks for the input though! I was going to get them appraised at a jeweler and wanted some idea what I had before they tried to swindle me. Though now that I know they are fairly common and not very high end, I'll probably just be satisfied that they look nice and not worry about having them appraised. Thanks

Back