Re-stringing or just connection of strands?

Sea Urchin

I have four 7-8mm 36" freshwater strands. They are nice but not top quality so I don't want to spend a lot of money on them. But, it would be neat if they were connected into one long strand. Would I have to get them all re-strung and pay for that, or could the strands just be somehow connected, for less cost? Anybody have price quotes? :)

Last edited:
If they have similar clasps you can just clasp them end to end to make one long strand.

Otherwise, I would say this is an excellent time to learn how to knot! If you decide to give it a whirl, I suggest using doubled 20# PowerPro with a wire needle. PowerPro doesn't stretch out as silk does, and doesn't tangle readily. Doubling the thread helps you seat the knot correctly so you don't have gaps between pearls.

They don't have clasps, and I was thinking that same thing myself. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will get what you suggest and try to knot them myself. Thanks! :)

Here's what I do:

Cut a length of thread 5 times the anticipated final length of the knotted strand.
Double the thread and make a large knot, then string on the first 3 pearls in reverse order.
Thread on a bit of gimp, then pass the needle through the clasp and back through the end pearl. Snug up the thread + gimp + clasp carefully.
Make an overhand knot with the thread around the existing thread between the end pearl and the next pearl. To seat the knot, pull the two threads apart firmly.
Pass the needle through the next pearl, knot, then the 3rd pearl and knot.
Trim off the original knot.

Keep going, knotting between each pearl until you get to the last 4 pearls from the other end-- just pass the needle through all 4 of them without knotting in between.
Thread on gimp, then the other end of the clasp, then pass the needle back through the end pearl. Snug up the thread, then knot between the end pearl and second pearl.
Pass the needle back through the 2nd pearl from the end, make a knot, then repeat with the 3rd pearl, then knot, and finally trim off the thread. Be sure you cut the right thread!

2 suggestions:
Practice -- get your technique down-- by making a mini strand 10 pearls long. When you can do that the way you like it, cut it apart and make the real strand.

Some people use a darning needle or an awl to help guide the knot to the correct position before tightening it.
I use tweezers, whose edges I have filed down so they aren't sharp and don't cut the thread.
Others don't need any tools! Find what works for you.

Last edited:
Okay, excuse my dumbness, haha, but I just googled "20# Power Pro" so I could buy it and all that came up was fishing line. Is that what it is?

That is about as succinct a set of directions for restringing I have ever seen!

I agree! Thank you for that post, Pearl Dreams. Next time, I'll be trying your technique.

Back