Pearls from Beijing

clive

Sorry for the repost but I never did get a response to this.

For 18" strand 7/8mm China Freshwater, round white, with 12k clasp what sort of price in Yuan/RMB should I end up paying please?

Clive,
Sorry you didn't get an answer previously. Many of us couldn't answer such a specific question, and some that perhaps could give you a range are in HK shopping right now.

1. What grade of pearl you purchase will make a big difference. Do you already know enough about pearls to understand about luster, roundness, blemishes?

2. Are you only purchasing one strand? You might be able to negotiate a discount for multiple strands.

Prices online from trustworthy dealers who post on this forum would be approx AA+ for $150 to $200+ for AAA in that size. You will need to convert that to RMB.

Is this necklace for a special gift?

There is a definite range for something like that. One thing that concerns me right off the bat is the 12k part of it. In Beijing it is usually 10k that is offered, and that 10k actually happens to be gold plated and not real 10k.

If the strand is purchased as 7-8 mm, the actual size is going to be 6.5-7.5 mm, with about 75% of the pearls falling within the 6.5-7 mm range and the other 25% falling in the 7-7.5 mm range. There is a big difference between material size 7-8 mm and strand size 7.5-8 mm in both size and value. The finer goods are usually separated into half-size ranges in that size, so you would want to look for 7.5-8 mm.

As far as the prices go, the range could go from as little as 50 RMB to over 1000 RMB. Round and white doesn't really describe much. What is the degree of round? You won't likely find loose-pearl, true round strands in Beijing. Shape, size, luster, spotting ... all combine to determine the value. Your negotiation skills will determine the cost.

No Problem.
I understand a little but not sure what grades Li Lin sells.
I may purchase some strands, it depends on quality and price.
One strand is for a special gift yes.

Yes I know that about the 10k which is why I thought I would try for the 12k, maybe I have to go higher.
I am going to see Ling Ling so actually I have no idea what grades she has or will show me.

Thanks for the advice.

Ling Ling is a good seller. She should treat you fairly. I'm not sure what grades you will get either, though. I haven't gone to visit her in about a decade.

OK back from 3 weeks in China. I did buy from Ling Ling - the prices were higher than I expected. I bought AAA and the difference was obvious to me. I think the pearls are fine and close to top end. I looked around both before and after and did not find better. She certainly was a fun lady to do business with. Stringing took yes a few minutes. Sends her regards to you.

Congratulations! It sounds like you had an adventure, as well as buying a beautiful gift. :)

Back