Are there naturally grey freshwater pearls?

adidaem

Hope this is the right place to post this question.

Based on what I have read so far, all the grey FWP mentioned in the past were dyed. But since the Chinese pearl producers have been coming up with interesting colours and sizes, I wonder if there are now naturally grey FWP in the market?

If yes, any suggestions on vendors to get a strand from?

Thanks Pattye. I have very very mixed feelings about dyed or any colour treated pearls, so I guess grey pearls will have to wait since I do have a limited budget...

But there are three grey/silver strands I have been lusting over from Pearl Paradise and I would really like to hear PG-ers opinion on which one they would get and why?

The 1st is a 18-inch AA+ 8.2-11.5 mm Tahitian Round Pearl Necklace

The 2nd is a 9.0 mm Silver-Blue Akoya Baroque Pearl Necklace:

The third is a 18-inch AA/AA+ 10.7-12.7 mm Tahitian Round Pearl Necklace

They are very very different, but I am attracted to their grey/silver color in general. For the Tahiti strands, I read that the darker colors are more desired and valuable. But for whatever reason I have been drawn to the other colors (apart from greens), perhaps cos I wear black so often that I tend to think that not so dark pearls would bring a bit more color to my outfits. As an example the other Tahiti strand I have been lusting over is this:

So what do you ladies think?

Ah yes, the last link...... they have suffered my lust as well :) I think that the top strand would brighten up most black outfits. Good hunting!

I think they're all absolutely lovely. I adore Tahitians, and am not that keen on Akoyas - not the white, round ones, anyway. That baroque set is beautiful, though, and I'd probably go for that one.

Those are all lovely - I love the luster of the baroque Akoyas...

Grey is not a natural color for FWs, but there are some really elegant color treated FW strands available.....like this little set (6.5-7 mm) below :) These come in bigger sizes upto 10-11 mm too.

Attachments

• DSC09275.jpg
    DSC09275.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 44
If you wear a lot of black, the first strand i.e. the silver Tahitians would be beautiful. But personally the blue Akoya baroques are some of my favorites. They shine like silver or like pale silvery blue according to the lighting and can really look beautiful. They look alive because of the way the light reflects off them. If they aren't too blue they'd probably look good with black. Whichever you go for you need to try them on with one of your black outfits. Pearl Paradise will exchange them if you decide your first choice isn't your best choice.

Thanks ladies for your suggestions and opinions. Unfortunately I stay in Asia so returns, while possible, will be a hassle.

Grey pearls will for now join the 'Pearl wish list' queue which seems to be growing fairly quickly (hmm, familiar scenario to anyone here?). Tahitians seem to have the shade of grey that is closest to my 'ideal' grey, so building up funds for that will take a while. In the meantime I welcome any ladies who would like to share their pretty grey pearls. Doesn't seem to be a very popular shade, so I haven't seen many pictures.

Back