Which strand should I get? (Urgent advice needed)

adidaem

Dear pearl lovers,

I am fairly new to pearls and am jumping in to the world of pearl lovers with a strand of classic white freshwater pearls.

I have been staring at this pic forever without being able to come to a conclusion. Which strand do you think I should get? Any advice from you experts is much appreciated!

Anyone wants to try guessing what they are? :)

3 strands.jpg

Welcome to Pearl Guide!
The top strand appears to have the best luster in this photo. All three are lovely though. Please tell us more :)

Welcome to Pearl Guide!
The top strand appears to have the best luster in this photo. All three are lovely though. Please tell us more :)

Oh yes, my thoughts too but I am not sure if it's cos of the camera focus (could it cause the pearls to look less lustrous??). First time I am buying pearls via photos/online so I am really nervous.

I would like to have some unbiased opinions from you pearl experts so let me keep the mystery for a while longer k? :p Promise to tell all when the decision is made.

But this I can say... the upper and lower strands (both with bluish tones) that I am seriously considering are both 8-8.5mm and the middle is 8.5-9mm.

I have so many questions I am not even sure where to start, like:
1. How many inches should I get? Am planning to wear to office, so I hesitate to get a 'choker' sized 16 inch. What is the norm or comfortable size based on your personal wearing experience?
2. Matching earrings - what size would be more suitable to match a 8-8.5mm strand? I am guessing that I'll mostly wear my diamond studs, but I think I should get a matched set in case of any formal occasion right?
3. Should I be considering skin tone when I buy my pearls?
:confused:

Re: #3, I am a 'deep winter' - very typical asian. So am almost always in a 'trademark' black top. Since I look ghastly in pink/pastel coloured tops (totally washed out and sickly look, sigh), should I assume the same for pearls? In real life, I find pink toned pearls really pretty (just perhaps not on me) but think greyish/greenish/black toned pearls suit me better (in fact if this purchase works out I'll be eyeing these shades for my next set).

Again, any advise or opinions from the pearl experts here are much appreciated. Sorry for my many NOOB questions. I am really excited, can you tell? :rolleyes:

My earlier reply is pending moderation, so not sure if this post will appear, but anyway...

I have been oscillating between a matching pair of studs or dangling earrings all afternoon, and then while watching (yet another) re-run of 'Made of Honor' on TV, noticed Michelle Monaghan's pearl earrings in the pub kissing scene:

0.jpg

There you go. Fate, or whatever. :) Anyway I think my tiny earlobes can't carry off studs, so dangling probably is more wearable no matter that studs would be more 'classic'. Am looking at these:
Shepherd's Hook

Question is how big do I go for the earrings. Is there like a simple rule of thumb to follow in selecting matching earring sizes?

Welcome!

Well, a fun decision to make, for sure!

Earrings: My preference is for same size or slightly larger (8.5-9.0mm). Love dangles, I feel the movement is so attractive and the earring catches the light a bit more. Go with the highest quality earring you can afford. I do prefer a leverback for security, but of course, that is a personal choice. Shepherd hook is attractive and graceful.

The middle strand is less lustrous than both the top and bottom strand, so I would choose between them. Agree with the others that luster is better on the top strand.

For strand length 18 inches is great for many women. Just slightly longer than a choker, and flattering with most necklines. If you have a very small neck, perhaps 17 inches. Larger pearls "wear" a bit shorter because of the thickness of the pearls.

Looking forward to more of your thoughts~

Hi, A.

Typical Asian colouring (warm though) here as well and like you, am always clad in a ubiquitous black. I like all sorts of pearls but tahitans (deep green and black, ok to peacocks) look meh on me and ditto too for pure copper pondslime freshwater pearls and deep golden south sea pearls.

Frankly, whites (hint of pink) look best on my sort of colouring. I get the most compliments when I wear white pearls though I am very partial towards au natural mauves, pinks and purples as they add colour to my outfits. I can never resist SSP, so even though I have a warm undertone, I am happy to wear 'cooler' silver white SSPs and champagne south sea pearls too. My current faves are also grey SSP and FW pearls (harder to source and find) but a happy balance with cooler colours and more complementary to the black I alsways wear.

As for sizes and lengths, here's my story.

When I was younger, and more petite (Lol!), I went for 6-8mms, and layered them side by side 16" and 18" for interest. I had these in many colours (pinks, grey, white) and mixed and matched them with the outfits. These days on the cusp of the 40s, I boldly declare my passion for pearls with large and very noticeable pearls. On the ears, nothing less than 12mms for studs. For dangling styles, on days when I feel dressier, I have pearls up to 19mm. My everyday go-to is a pair of white kasumi lookalikes at 14mm.

I no longer do necklaces these days but am assembling my one dream multi-colour tahitian baroque necklace. I bought and returned quite a few strands in the last three years and have come to realise that for my own statement necklace (that I intend to see me theough every black-tie affair including my daughters' weddings in twenty to thirty years' time), I need the versatility of a princess length 20" necklace with tahitian pearls ranging 13-18mm. So far I have assembled my half strand including the 16-18mm focals so I just need to persevere.

Good luck with your search and a warm welcome to our pearl obsessed world!

I too like the top strand myself.

Being Chinese, I prefer silver colouring to rose, as my hair is nearly completely grey/white, and silver suits me.

I am a bright winter, and like to mix black with primary and secondary colours.

Beige, brown and yellow gold are completely no no for me. Hence I only wear silver metals.

DK :)

Thanks Marianne & Karin - think I'm 95% going for the top strand. Everyone seems to like that strand more. :D

Pattye: I am thinking just slightly larger, say 9 to 9.5mm? Just to give a bit more focus to the earrings. You think that will be too much/big?

I actually like the 'minimalist' style of the simple shepherd, but I am worried about security. Was thinking that those small rubber stoppers will help with security but then the pearls may be overbalanced tho (heavy in front), and sort of tilt over to the front (has anyone experienced that?)? If not then I like these tho they are a little over-budget... and I am not sure if they are too elaborate for work (yeah, over-analysis much?) :rolleyes:
Allure diamond earrings

I tried the choker 16 inch and it wasn't comfy. So yes, I think 18 inches would work... in fact I am considering a 19 inch for comfort (and erm, possibility that I may get fatter over the years). Have been busy playing with some faux strands. :eek:

I am tall for an Asian - height is 5'7" or 170 cm. So no dainty neck. :eek:

Adeline and DK: Thanks for sharing your (asian) pearl wearing experiences! Most of my friends are into gems, so it's nice to hear your stories.

I can totally identify with DK's statement "Beige, brown and yellow gold are completely no no for me. Hence I only wear silver metals.".
Yes, yes and yes! I look so meh in beige and brown, and positively ghastly in yellow gold. So no chocolatey brown or golden yellow pearls for me.

Adeline: You have a fab collection - any pics for me to drool over? Actually, don't laugh but the main reason why I think I can't handle pearl studs at work is cos I'll knock them into the phone handset whenever I answer calls... the bigger they are, the more dangerous I am to them. :p

Not sure what mauves look like? I like pinks and purples (the metallic ones from PP are so nice!) but I suspect I'll look meh in them given my experience with pastel clothes (epic fail). So far based on what I've seen, I like and think I'll look ok with FW pearls, silver white/grey SSPs or blue/gun metal grey akoyas. I also like peacock green tahitis tho I probably can't afford them!

Anyway... baby steps. Will see how after this strand.

Thanks for all your warm welcomes. So glad to have your help in this. :)

Perhaps my newfound 'pearl sisters' could be interested to hear how I started my recent pearl obsession?

A few years back when I was in China for company business, I met a local colleague who has a fab collection of pearls. She was wearing gorgeous matching sets of yellow SSP, gun metal grey Akoyas, white SSP, etc everyday to work. When I complimented her on her fab pearls, she offered to bring me to her local jeweller that weekend. Ended up getting a small pink/peach SSP pendant, and that sort of got me interested in pearls.

No follow-up for the next few years though. Then 2 weeks ago, I was in Hong Kong for company business trip. This time, I saw the most fabulous 15.9mm SSP ring in the Mikimoto boutique at IFC mall. The pearl just blew me away (as did the price tag of nearly USD 17K). But it was really 'love at first sight'. I saw the ring, tried it on and it fitted PERFECTLY, like it's made for me (really rare, cos I've huge fingers by Asian standards so normally store bought rings are way too small). The pearl is also really lustrous - it put most of the other pearls in the boutique to shame.

My colleague who was with me at the store has since gleefully repeated the story to everyone (including his family, that's how deep an impression it left on him!), of how he has never seen anyone get so excited over jewellery. Basically I after I tried on the ring, I repeatedly said "hou leng ah" (cantonese, means 'so pretty') like 20x uncontrollably. :eek:

Since then, I've been obsessively reading about pearls and reading all the old forum threads. :rolleyes:

Is this normal? Like did you ladies have such experiences (with a 'life-changing' pearl) as well? :p

Hi again,
Can certainly relate to the changing requirements in necklace length.... 17.5 used to be just fine, now 19" is what I need for comfort, sigh. Also, the shepherd hook findings that you showed seem to have long enough "tails" to be secure :) This is fun!

I am 47 and only 5'2/157cm in height, and weigh about 11st/70kg, and am chunky with a full face.

Due to my largeness, I can wear very bold jewellery, as dainty ones would simply disappear on me.

My earlobes are massive, and I can wear stud earrings as big as 20mm in diameter.

As for pearls, I am currently collecting big silver SSPs for a necklace, one pearl has already been purchased from Sven aka Agustus-Collection on PG. I am hoping for some big ones over 20mm.

My day to day pearl necklaces are 8-9mm, and the grandest being a silver SSP which are 10-13mm.

Not keen on dangling earrings, however, I do like the sound of a pair of diamond huggies with interchangeable drops, including pearls, diamonds and red/pink stones.

Still the top row for me, night night!

I choose the top strand.

My favourite length of pearl neckalce is 16" and no longer. That's because it will likely always show, and not be hidden underneath any clothes. I want my pearl necklace to be seen and admired at all times. :-D

16in can just about go round my neck! LOL!

DK :D

I would pick the top strand.

As for dangles, I wouldn't worry about the pearls being too large for a shepard hook. I have a pair of large Kasumi on hooks with no platic protection on the back. They sit balanced and safely.

- Karin

I would also vote for the top strand, but they are all lovely.

I'm lost by the winter / dark winter idea - something to do with skin tone?

I have very, very pale skin, takes me all summer to go from blue to white! I don't wear yellow gold, yellow clothes, or yellow / orange anything, because neither colour suits me. I have fair hair, and yellow and orange just make it look dirty and dull.

Perhaps, if you aren't sure about pink / lavender etc pearls, you could try some on and see how they look? You don't necessarily have to buy them, just see how they look against your skin.

DK: Interchangeable drops does sound nice. I do have a pair of WG loops with removable diamond drop. Maybe I can use that... Thanks for the idea!

I have small earlobes and features in general. So, nothing massive for me. Based on my height I can't wear small pearls either, so I think mid-sizes would do nicely... but I hear that there is 'pearl shrinkage' over time right? :rolleyes: Just like diamonds so maybe I will go for bigger ones in time. :p

Zengirl: You must have a sylph-like neck. 16" can go around my neck but I'm simply not used to wearing chokers.

Karin: Thanks for the vote of confidence for the shepherd's hook. Am now tempted by DK's suggestion tho. Decisions decisions...

Amanda: Some info about the 'seasons' that we have been referring to:
http://www.prettyyourworld.com/16-season-color-analysis.html
You could be a 'light spring' based on what you described?

Back