Gem grade freshwater sellers in Australia?

Wejay

Hello and firstly thank you to all the people on this forum who have freely provided their knowledge to help educate newbies like me to learn more about pearls. I've spent many hours reading - I think I'm going blind from it actually. And the photos are wonderful to see, especially the macro shots! Much appreciated :D

So now I'm desiring to start my collection. I'd love to select and buy pearls in person but as I'm in Western Australia that's tricky. We're a long way from anywhere and prices here are over the top! Buying from overseas adds time and high shipping costs, especially if any item had to be returned/exchanged.

So I'm wondering if there are reputable Australian online sellers of jewellery made with gem grade freshwater pearls, such as the quality of the Freshadama brand that gets such good reviews. Can anyone advise me? Many thanks!

You might also like to take a look at CatherineCardelliniPearls.com, she is a member here also.

So many wonderful pearls are not gem quality!

Doubt if anyone stocks more true gem quality pearls than Pearl Paradise, and please remember, not everything is listed on ones' website either, so if you are wanting something very specific, do directly contact merchants about what is available.

Hi Wejay,

I bought pearls and more all the time back when I was living in Melbourne (2 years back). Great to see your interest in our favourite subject! I think if you weed out the really crap sellers by educating yourself here on PG first, you'd make fewer mistakes that way.

Also, there's Nerida and Cathy in Australia. But do give a chance on Pearl Paradise, Wendy and Pattye and so many other online retailers especially those who'd stake their professional reputations by their very presence here on PG. Unless you are looking at buying the high value tahitians or south sea pearls, shipping shouldn't be such a great deterrant. Would it? You could also try contacting Katbran on PG. She too is in Western Oz I believe. Perhaps she'd let you in on some local vendors.

I'm a massive online shopper ;) And so far it's been good. Keep on reading and expanding your pearl education. You'd make fewer mistakes that way!

And Amrita is The Woman! there in China. At least, you should take a look at her video as she negotiates for "True" size for her pearls and full length strands.
I think you can get to her video from her website?

Good luck with your quest!

Last edited:
If I bought pearls professionally and did not want to go to China myself, I would certainly negotiate with Amrita and fine tune her to the pearls I want her to shop for- she is right there all the time! Wherever she is!

Wouldn't it be great if she could Skype with you as she shops for you? The day is probably already here.

Thanks so much for the info and links. Based on these, I have made two purchases and now eagerly awaiting their arrival. This could be the start of something big... big and expensive.

You look very competent in that video. You seem very comfortable with the language. I don't buy -or sell any more- I just sayin', if I did.....

Amrita, I'm super impressed. You have a "beijing qiang" while you are at it and that curling of the tongue!?! How did you learn it? How long did it take you?
It took me 10 years of schooling to master Chinese at a first language level (no thanks to Anglophile parents) which is a humiliation as I AM CHINESE!

I say go fiercer, way fiercer; these Chinese, they can take the heat. You should throw in a couple of table-slammin' gestures as well

Kat, Amrita was sternly inquiring as to why her pearls were not as she had expected. I can't remember the details as I watched it 45 minutes ago but if I'm not wrong the numbers "7 - qi" and "7.5 - qi dian wu" were being asserted and denied.

You go, Amrita!

Last edited:
Aww, thanks for the kind comments ladies, and for the translation Adeline!
Adeline, I have been living in China for 13 years now - 11 in Tianjin, and 2 in Beijing. When I came here, I had a tutor come home to teach me and my husband the basics of the language twice a week. But we had to stop after about 2 months, as what we were learning was not what we practically needed to use. So we just took some phrase books, help books etc., and started to speak whatever we could. Over time and with practice, this is the level that it has been able to come to. I actually love the Chinese people, and have learnt how to deal with their characteristics of doing business - it is fun. No hand slapping involved, I assure you. :)

I am basically a Chartered Accountant by profession, and for 8 out of te 13 years that we've been here, I have been in high profile Finance jobs with international organisations.....but I did come to realise that pearls is my real love and calling and so I immensely enjoy what I do - which is connect with people from all over the world and supply them the beauty and grace that only pearls can bring....My hubby runs his business consulting firm here helping foreign companies do business with China so it has worked out fine that way.

Kat, for pictures, have a look at my albums on my profile page, or on my website below, or my the Facebook page given below. I will also try and put up some photos later...

Oh, you guys are so funny, so good for the soul!!!

Kudos, kudos, Amrita. You have some gumption. Good that you left the boring staid profession that my husband is similarly in, pearls are way more fantastic and like Caitlin said, you are right there in the hot spot.

I noticed how cool and calm you were; it's a good thing that lady was rather genteel and dignified too. You mean to say you don't meet with many a raucous mainlander in everyday life? It's amazing you don't take on any of the mannerisms because I surely do. The idiom "jin zhu zhe chi jin mo zhe hei,*" holds true for me whichever country I'm in.

* Literal translation: Turning crimson when one touches crimson ink and turning black when you are near black ink.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we Chinese diaspora are often ambivalent about certain aspects of our manner and culture that seems to course through these veins and despite the Western upbringing, when I am in Hong Kong or Singapore (where there's plenty of ethnic Chinese), sometimes in extreme cases, I find it necessary to put on that demanding shrill Chinese persona in order to pursue a point as, at times, it feels like the one with the loudest voice wins. Lol :D

Lisa, we just have to laugh as we wade through life and deal with what life brings next. There's a real urgency to prepare this generation of children for a truly global world and some of us think being polyglots (not even being bilingual is sufficient anymore) and possessing cultural intellgence is the way to go. Sigh, what's next world?

Polyglot challenge. What to do for our children when multilingually challenged ourselves, ie we're not polyglots. Pittsburgh has lots of colleges, and something of an Asian community, but we're all kind of insular. My kids are grown now, but grandchildren will come.

The attempts to teach our kids multiple languages started in 2nd grade, but they couldn't converse with us so the learning faded. You're a teacher - are language CDs a good way to go?

Hi Wejay:
Pearl looks nice. I am seller in China. But not to personal. Because of shipment cost. What I could do is share my experience about pearl with you.

Hi Lisa, my husband actually studies language acquisition and... unfortunately language CDs are not going to do it. :-( If only it were that easy. DH is a native English speaker and is fluent in Russian and Spanish. He is pretty good with Mandarin Chinese (I am a native speaker so we speak together at home). But in the past few years he's picked up and forgotten Japanese and Hebrew. It was just too much work to maintain. His strategy is to consume a large proportion of his pop culture and media in other languages. (E.g., BBC World in Spanish and Russian for news, popular novels like Harry Potter in translation into Spanish and Russian and tv shows and movies in Chinese.)

Thanks Lulu! I wish I didn't feel sad-faced in return, at your answer. I want to THANK, with BIG THANKS, all of you who have learned English, out of compassion or consideration for us tin-earred folks, or for economics, a million reasons I'm sure... I'm grateful, so grateful you did. It's a richer world because you did.

Back