Pearl Medical-Alert Bracelet

DwightSchrute

Hello,

My wife has a bleeding disorder, so she has to wear this metal medical alert bracelet. I'd like to make it into a pearl bracelet so it'll look nicer day-to-day. I decided that I want freshwater pearls so that it'll be more durable. Does anyone know what type of thread could be used that would be very strong, so the bracelet wouldn't break or fall off?

Thanks,

Dwight K. Schrute

IO'd caution you on this, since in an emergency a pearl bracelet with an emergency alert tag might be dismissed as a pearl bracelet. For strength use nylon or high performance silk or (yes caitlin) powerpro

MedicAlert already sells alert bracelets that are more stylish. They actually have one that uses glass beads that look like pearls, but I wanted to get actual ones. How strong is the high performance silk? Do online websites such as PearlParadise offer services to create something like this?

You could send the pearls and the medic-alert to any of the artisans who post here. Are you in the US? Pattye could make it up as could Sheryl. Both are on the West Coast. Or, if you have not picked out the pearls yet, get the pearls from them, too.

Any volunteers?

I had a diabetic student several years ago who would not wear her medic-alert bracelet until I wire wrapped a pearl one for her. Pretty, sturdy and above all, safe!

I have to take warfarin, have a mechanical valve and a-fib and a pacemaker. I really ought to wear one of those. Please let me see how it looks in pearls! Currently, I have a med-alert qr code dog tag hanging from my car keys. Plus I have a red thumb drive with medical records on it hanging from it. The QR code can be read by a smartphone, but I also have it in English on other side of the dog tag
pearl guide fossil2 Not sure this file will show up.

Caitlin and Dwight:

I just bought a medic alert bracelet for my mother from this company and they have some very nice medic alert plaques they engrave for you, which you could attach to a pearl bracelet you make or one of the interchangeable bracelets they sell.
They sell a variety of bracelets that attach to the plaque with lobster claw clasps.
And of course they also have finished medical alert jewelry for those who do not wish to make their own.) :

http://www.stickyj.com/medical-emergency.html

This one is one of various ones made with genuine pearls:
http://www.stickyj.com/spc1018c.html

Last edited:
My Mama, wears a medic alert bracelet, A number of years ago now, made herself a series of "Removable bracelets" in various colors, sizes & styles of fresh water pearls & "stylish clasps" (to hook onto the Medic Alert plate.) So the plate is the focal point of the piece. If I remember correctly thinks she used Silamide for the stringing.

Cheers

Ash

Sorry, if this shows up twice - I seem to be having posting issues. I was saying that I would use beading wire such as softflex etc. I use it with pearls (sacrilege!) anytime I mix them with something else.

Here is another with faux Tahitians. Sawarski crystal pearls. http://www.medicalert.ca/en/join/products/productDetails.asp?matId=4&p=I479 But I like that double lobster claw fittings. So It is just a matter of picking the ID plate. Then making a bracelet to hook on to it. Or lots of bracelets!

It looks like Medicalert is a service with a yearly cost. Seems like the flash drive with the records on it would be immediate, without calling a service.....Or the QR Code would also give the immediate info, but the ID also alerts EMTs to look for the records.

Doesn't medic alert hold the medical records? So whereever you are the physicisans can get access to whatever they need to know. The only prob with a flash drive is that some system computers in businesses don't allow external data to be input - for fear of viruses and mayhem.....
The ornamental bracelets are great..my only concern was that the medic alert part gets spotted and not slid past under a nacreous chamoflage.. does anyone have any info on this?

Yes they do hold the records. Point well taken about viruses, though you can read the QR code with a smart phone.

. It looks like I could buy in with the $40 bubblegum bracelet, then use the plaque to design my own bracelet. Even the faux Tahitian bracelet costs 129.00!

Back