Pearls are the perfect gift

Galateia

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, I found it while researching pearl gift options for my mother-in-law.

I don't know why I hadn't thought of it as an option before, probably because I love shell jewelery and try to avoid buying people gifts that I want.

I do not yet own any pearls myself, as I'm just now in my late twenties and gravitated to things like abalone when I was young. Pearls seemed too sophisticated for me back then, but I'm feeling more comfortable with the idea of wearing them now. For me, the luster of shell has always eclipsed the sparkle of diamonds, and when my husband grew petulant at the prospect of never being able to buy me jewelery in the future due to my objections to diamonds, I pointed out that pearls were an option ... :D

So pearls will very much be in my future. In the meantime, it has occurred to me that my mother-in-law might love a pearl pendant for Christmas.

She's very modest and self-effacing in a down-home Southern kind of way, so a string of pearls would be too fancy for her to feel comfortable wearing. Same with gemstone jewelery. I think a single pearl pendant would be elegant and subtle enough for everyday wear, what do you all think?

Her favourite colour is purple, so a lavender pearl would be best, in white gold as she only wears white metals. I love that freshwater pearls give an affordable option (we're poor) but are still gorgeous. I like the look of baroque pearls myself, but I think a round or teardrop would be more appropriate for her.

Any recommendations or info would be welcome; I've been looking at Pearl Paradise and Pearl Distributors, both seem to be popular on this forum.

Very happy to be here, I look forward to becoming obsessed with pearls!

Thanks for the welcome, and the suggestions!

I've been looking at that first option at Pearl Paradise but I'm not a fan of how chunky the setting looks, it seems more invasive than the style of the last link. Is it that chunky in real life, or is it just the limitations of photography?

Our budget is less than $100, partly because we're poor and my husband isn't a fan of Christmas (retail holidays, etc etc) but also partly because his mother will flip if we get her something 'too expensive'. As it is, we're combining her Christmas and birthday gift together (her birthday is just days after Christmas) to swing something a little more special.

The last link has the 8-9mm at $115, that's a bit out of budget but not bad.

We were also looking at this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=310103173283 but I wasn't thrilled that it's set in silver instead of gold.

Have you considered getting a loose lavender freshwater pearl and a pendant setting from PP, and ask for the pendant to be made up?

The bail will be very simple, as it will be difficult to get white gold setting within the budget for anything fancy.

I work out you can get a 11-12mm baroque/drop shaped pearl for 65 USD, and the classic pendant setting for 22 USD. There may be a small charge for a custom piece, however, it won't be much.

Good luck with your purchase!

DK :)

Have you considered getting a loose lavender freshwater pearl and a pendant setting from PP, and ask for the pendant to be made up?

The bail will be very simple, as it will be difficult to get white gold setting within the budget for anything fancy.

I work out you can get a 11-12mm baroque/drop shaped pearl for 65 USD, and the classic pendant setting for 22 USD. There may be a small charge for a custom piece, however, it won't be much.

Good luck with your purchase!

Wow, this is a great idea!

The larger pearl will help balance the size of the setting, and she won't mind a lack of a chain; that may give my brother-in-law a chance to get her something as well.

Awesome. We may go with that. :D

Hi and welcome to Pearl Guide. You might consider an enhancer for you mother-in-law which opens and closes instead of a fixed bail. Then she can wear it on a chain of her choosing, or on a pearl strand if that comes into the picture.

Hi and welcome to Pearl Guide. You might consider an enhancer for you mother-in-law which opens and closes instead of a fixed bail. Then she can wear it on a chain of her choosing, or on a pearl strand if that comes into the picture.

What a great idea! Multi-function jewellery, I like them :D

The ones currently listed under Miscellaneous Findings may be out of the budget, with the smallest one being 45 USD.

However, I know for certain that Jeremy et al will be able to source plainer ones without stones from Bella Findings House for less. PP sources most of their findings from Bella's as they are local :)

I found a tapered hanger on Bella's for about 22 USD plus tax, their Item No. 14222, in 14K WG; which should still be within budget after adding the hanging ring to the pearl in 14K WG which costs about 2.26 USD plus tax.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your purchase!

... and the classic pendant setting for 22 USD.

Hmmm, I just realised this classic pendant setting is one and the same as the first link in Callire's post, which I believe is too chunky for your liking.

It may be ok with a bigger pearl as you said, however, I would go for a small ring and tapered hanger combination myself, as it may look more balanced and it can be worn as an enhancer with a strand.

Galateia,
welcome to the forum and good luck with your buy. Waimeamomi and Dkans ideas of an enhancer put together with a pearl is great and if You can pay about say up to 120 dollars you should get something very nice in white gold. BTW, the "Classic" bail of the picture from PP is not chunky at all, all the findings are rather delicate in size. Let us know what you will get eventually...

Hi Galateia and welcome to the forum. :)
Dkan's idea of an enhancer pendant is great - your mother-in-law can then wear it with several different necklaces or on it's own on a chain.

I have to warn you that it won't stop there, though......;)
Soon you will be buying pearls for everyone - yourself most of all.

And then you'll be looking for ways to persuade the men in your family to wear them too. :D

Off Topic Warning

Off Topic Warning

Just received the regular e-mail from Lidl's about forthcoming specials, and they have CFWP necklace, earrings and ring from 08 Dec 08 onwards, all in rhodium-plated sterling silver setting :D They will make nice pressies for the few young ladies I know :D

I love Lidl's and am fortunate to live very close to one. I have been shopping there ever since I moved to Wiltshire in Oct 06, long before the economic downturn, which now makes the likes of Lidl's and Aldi's hip with those who used to shop for luxury food at M&S and Waitrose :D (where is the wicked emoticon when I need one :D)

DK :D

IMHO: Be very careful with ebay. Druzydesigns carries FANTASTIC stuff, and I got a lovely CFWP pendant from a non-name chinese seller about six months ago (and I'm still mourning the loss... the chain broke while I was on vacation).

Just received the regular e-mail from Lidl's about forthcoming specials, and they have CFWP necklace, earrings and ring from 08 Dec 08 onwards, all in rhodium-plated sterling silver setting :D They will make nice pressies for the few young ladies I know :D

I love Lidl's and am fortunate to live very close to one. I have been shopping there ever since I moved to Wiltshire in Oct 06, long before the economic downturn, which now makes the likes of Lidl's and Aldi's hip with those who used to shop for luxury food at M&S and Waitrose :D (where is the wicked emoticon when I need one :D)

DK :D

I just have to comment on this with Lidl: I did not think they were present in the UK, the same goes for Aldi, I also like to shop there, they have very tasty sausages and a lot of other things I can?t buy in our local shops... but I never ever have seen any type of jewelry selling - very funny!:) And they have very low prices as well - good thing they are here too...

Aldi? We have Aldi too. And although their staple items are groceries, they have specials on everything from pots and pans to electronics to toys to clothing to furniture. We even bought an exercise machine there. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see pearls there (although I don't think I ever have.)

Hi Galateia
dkan's idea of having PP create a custom pendant appeals to me. On this PP web-page, they show an oval shaped pearl with the chain passing right through it, so no setting is required.
http://www.pearlparadise.com/chainspendants.html

I think it looks very subdued yet classy, and you could probably afford the biggest lavender pearl that PP has in an oval shape. Even if it's custom, it is so simple they may have a return policy for this style.

Good luck.
Gwen

I'm thinking that they have to solder the clasp on... I love it! ;)

I just checked with the hubby, and he said his mother would definitely prefer the setting +pearl as opposed to the pearl on a chain.

I'm still deciding between an enhancer and the PP setting; I got a quote back (so friendly, those PP folks) that said the labour cost is included in the price of the setting, so it's totally in our budget.

The tricky thing about the enhancer, according to the hubby, is that his mother is unlikely to wear it on anything but a simple chain. He confirms she'd never wear a strand of pearls. So she's not likely to ever need to add it to anything but a simple chain, so the swappability isn't necessary.

I really appreciate all the suggestions and comments people have been making :)

Back