Borsheim's...

... shocking, but... where are these larger round freshwaters anyway?

Nice clasp, however, I do not believe it justifies to be 46k USD!

I can get a very decent baroque South Seas for that price!

DK :)

I can get a very decent baroque South Seas for that price!

... but they wouldn't be pink.. would they. ;)

It seems reasonable to say that round, fine freshwater of comparable size should stand up there with the SS as a real alternative choice in all respects. Not that I want them to be priced like that, obviously not!

Freshwater strands offered 'round here don't go so large. I'm wondering whether these really are so scarce that seller can choose to do anythng at all with them: price a step over the 10mm, or hold onto them until SS buyers notice.... :rolleyes:

I can't believe that price! :eek:
I could buy half of pearlparadise's white south sea necklaces for that amount. Don't get me wrong, I love freshwater dearly, but I'd never pay that much!

Quite astounding - I wonder if anybody would actually buy them. They are surely lovely, and as said above, quite impressive with their size but come on...

I could buy half of pearlparadise's white south sea necklaces for that amount.

Well....

http://www.pearlparadise.com/detail.aspx?ID=1706

or if a double strand is a must...

http://www.pearlparadise.com/detail.aspx?ID=2261

Some choices, if anyone would be considering the three side by side, check in hand :cool:

Obviously, I am wondering whether any freshwater pearl necklace was bought as a bona-fide substitute of SS in the same size and top quality. Offline - can't begin to guess: I've never found such an offering, but have seen mixed saltwater & freshwater ropes offered along all-saltwater ones in a couple of respectable places. And fine singles around 15mm too...

If you remember, there was a similar listing from Rau Jewelry back a while.

http://www.raujewelry.net/display.php?jewelrytype=PL&pageycat=stones&page=2

These two can't be the only such 'bets', I would think.

If these prices become mainstream, it's bye-bye freshwaters for me. But in the larger scheme of things, the pearls are exquisite... It isn't inconceivable that once it becomes clearer how far can cultivation go with consistent size and quality, the tops will get such recognition anyway. Just a thought... (not even wishful thinking, as I'm not betting on such predictions myself)

Last edited by a moderator:
Freshwater strands offered 'round here don't go so large. I'm wondering whether these really are so scarce that seller can choose to do anythng at all with them

The vast majority of large freshwaters that size are sold in commercial shows. They may have patchy luster, and often chips missing. The dyed black are the worst. I think the skins are delicate and something happens when they are dyed. I have only seen white and black that size. The price is rising, but I spent around $10 dollars a strand 3 years ago.

the black one in the center has 12mm pearls. The white one is much larger in the front. It has patchy luster

Attachments

• smallPattyes 008.jpg
    smallPattyes 008.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I guess the bottom line is you can put any price you want on something. If people start seeing it enough, they come to accept it. I went looking at PP for my favorite South Seas strand which was a big, bluish silver baroque strand that was listed for 21,000 I believe (or maybe it was 11,000?). Anyway it's not there anymore (or maybe I only dreamed it). That's my kind of 5 figure strand.

Wow- some of the prices for the FW on the Rau site are outrageous! Round multi-colors are not antiques by any stretch of the imagination, and never worth 18K!! :/

The vast majority of large freshwaters that size ...may have patchy luster, and often chips missing.

Yeah! The fine ones are simply not there.. anywhere! (or just about). And when one strand does pop up, it's any body's guess what it should cost...

... but they wouldn't be pink.. would they. ;)

No, however, I don't particularly like pink pearls, and shall never pay through the nose for them.

'Bet the folks at Borscheim's never thought of that one :)

Crr...raa..azy! That listing makes all freshwater anywhere look like a bargain, and every other seller a fool: can't have them both... ;)

40k for a ring and 28k for a strand of Freshwaters?!!!

The ring will be too big for my small hand. I would probably spend that much to get a nice 2.5ct+ Emerald Cut diamond and set it in a blingy diamond halo setting instead.

How they can justify 28k for that strand of Freshwaters is beyond me!

Back