Online or Shanghai

pearl_lover

Hi all

I am new to this forum, have read and learned a lot from it. Just curious and seek your advice - for freshwater pearl where should I buy, Online or in Shanghai? :confused: I visit SH quite a lot and have been Hongqiao pearl market several times.:D
Thank

Depends on the type and quantity you're after. If you're after lower grade freshwater pearls in larger quantities I'd say Shanghai, but don't make a trip especially. Just as an aside on your usual trips. But for high-grade freshwaters like the freshadama, gem fresh, elite or presidential collections by our vendors here you would be hard-pressed to find them in retail rather than wholesale quantities in person. They would sell the best loose lots to the highest bidder or those with established business relations. Our online vendors here don't sell beading quality. There are a few websites that our seasoned PG-ers can recommend. I don't bead so I can't remember what they are. For South Seas and Tahitians I'd go online. Also, it depends on how good you are at picking out quality goods. I'd buy just a few single items that take my fancy in person, but I'd rather just shop online since it's been cherry-picked for me and I know exactly what grading criteria the pearls have been subjected to. I'm still smarting over the dyed pink freshwaters I bought yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite a picky consumer, but even I have my weak moments. Online, I see the grading and I'm certain what I'm getting, plus there is the option of returning whereas you wouldn't get to return the goods much in China (wholesale clothes are a different story - you can exchange sizes/defective items) or even discounted at a local retail store. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I am after top grade, freshadama, or gem quality is what I?m after. I visited some shops at Hongqiao Pearl market, say Daxi and Ling Ling, and saw couple of nice (AAA, their top tier) freshwater pearl necklaces, is their AAA similar to that selling online say PP or TPO? the price is very attractive. I have purchased AAA Tahitian earrings and pendant online after checking this forum. The overtone, at least to me, is not what it is claimed, and it is not as lustrous as my Tahitian earring purchased at local jewelry shop (I lost my earring during traveling ? too bad!:mad:). i did not return them as I had tight travel plan right after receiving them. they are nice but not as good as I expect though. BTW I wore the pendant during my visit to Mikomoto shop in Tokyo, the sales asked me where I got it and said it was very good, I hope he was not just being polite. But when I put that next to mikomoto pearl, I could see the difference.. I live in Asia and don?t like the idea returning goods to US, too troublesome and expensive.

For gem I would definitely go online. Depends on how good your eye is, it's very difficult to make flash judgements regarding quality especially when there is a huge selection to pick from. Lighting would affect the way you see color and luster. I trust the vendors here implicitly and the more information you can provide the better they can meet your demands.

Overtones are very personal - you either like it or you don't, and no amount of words will convey your expectations to the vendors. It would show up slightly different on a computer screen, and different lighting would show different overtones in a pearl though I'm sure they make every effort. Size is also very important - smaller pearls would appear more lustrous/less blemished for the same percentage of surface stated. It's good to have the opportunity to select pearls in person, but I've never had problems getting exactly what I wanted buying online. In fact, I'm so used to buying online and having the pearls already preselected by experts the dyed pink freshies I bought in person were my real disappointment.

If you have the opportunity by all means visit the pearl wholesale markets in Shanghai just for the experience. They will be cheaper compared to the online vendors just because it's closer to the source, but you may not necessarily be able to pick out the top quality. Most of the big pearl wholesalers would sell big lots of good quality pearls to their usual customers, and they would want you to pay premium for just a strand or two. The negotiation is going to be a nightmare. Also, I wouldn't mind for multicolored strands where matching isn't an issue, but for pure colored gem quality I would rather get it online because I know I can always return it.

If you have pictures of the earrings you bought locally vs the ones bought online and their grading that would be great - we always like to see pictures. ;)

I agree: the greatest difference is the peace of mind for the price that you are paying it with online vendors.

This is a little off topic. I must say, I would still buy online even if there is a brick and mortar shop. I've gone into the shops where I live and most pearls (SS and Akoya) are pretty boring even if I am willing to spend, and they are quite highly overpriced. For instance, a FW stud AA approx 9mm would have cost me about 130 USD, which means, the really outstanding stuff are quite frankly out of my range.

I agree with your thoughts about b&m stores, airdancer... I would also add that I have yet to see a retail jeweller who stocks anything like the range carried by the online vendors - meaning that you end up choosing from what they have, rather than finding exactly what you want.

Re Shanghai or online - depends on the quantities you are after. If you are just looking for a couple of strands - definitely the excellent online sellers would be best. I certainly saw some gorgeous strands in Shanghai - up to gem quality easily, but unless you were a big buyer, buying multiples of the same item, the price is very high. As Raisondetre said, negotiation would be a nightmare, and if purchasing only a few pieces, they are not going to reduce their prices by much. Also, the best pearls in China have already been sold to the buyers who get out to the growers - when lI was looking for really lovely quality in large coin pearls and baroques, there was almost nothing in Shanghai. Also, I don't think too many of the sellers in the pearl markets in Shanghai would be keen to have items returned - you would have to have a good eye "on the day" and choose wisely.

Raisondetre If you have pictures of the earrings you bought locally vs the ones bought online and their grading that would be great - we always like to see pictures. ;)[/QUOTE said:
I wish i could, i lost my peacock earrings at hotel:mad:

i will take pictures of my other pearls once i have the chance to buy another camera - my camera was broken during my trip to Japan - guess travel doesnot like me! Tried to use my cell to take the picture, the picture is bad.

Back