Sticking my NECK out here :) Asking for opinions

jody

Thoughts please.....since now I'm wondering about pearl length....

Here is a photo of my 48 year old neck with my new lovey strand of gem quality pearls from PP. It is 16 inches and considering having it made longer. Any thoughts from those in my age group about the length? Sorry, if the photo isn't too clear, wasn't easy for me to take a picture of my neck. :)

http://home.comcast.net/~jara40/Copy_of_JPEG_photos_247.jpg

Thanks!

Jody

We have similar necks :)

I do wear some 16" strands but I prefer longer. However even at the 16" length, if the pearls are nice, I think people look at the pearls and not at our necks!

One way you could draw the eye downward without lengthening the strand is by using an enhancer.

Pearl Enhancer

Pearl Enhancer

What is a pearl enhancer and how does it work?

Jody, I think you look just fine in this length. It is not a choker on you but it is a short length. They can be worn with just about anything as is. You have nothing to fear.

I guess the only thing to be concerned with is the future. Do you think you will continue to like this length 5-10 years from now?

Jody,
I agree with Silversea; the necklace looks great as it is.
And, if in ten year's time you prefer something longer, well then, you will just have to buy another :D
And then you will have two to wear separately or together as the mood takes you. And if they have ball clasps you can join them for a longer rope.

I will be 67 in a few months and I am getting wattles.:eek: Anyway, I have a 13+mm klonk CFWP choker. It was a $10 find because the pearls have chips out of them, and I strung it up and wore it to the ballet in SF. People actrually came up and commented on my lovely Tahitian..!!! I swear, it takes the eyes off my aging neck. when your gaze gets to that part- there is a lovely pearl necklace! And yours qualifies far better than mine did!

Just for fun here is a picture of my cracked black klonk. there is a pic of me wearing it in my profile.

Attachments

• 12mm blueblk crop.jpg
    12mm blueblk crop.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 25
Strand length

Strand length

Hi, I usually lurk and don't post much. I am not an expert either. This is just my 2 cents. I think it looks fine. But if you change your mind, buy a longer strand...the more reason to get more pearls.

Last edited:
What's a wattle? No, don't tell me! I probably have them, and don't know it. Ignorance is bliss!

I think the necklace looks great!

I think it looks very nice on you. If you like it, wear it and be merry! Like the other posters, I think buying a second, longer strand is a great idea. Just more options.

I think it looks lovely on you (16 inches wouldn't go around MY neck!), and your neck is LOVELY!
One thing about shorter lengths is I think they throw a sort of pearlescence up onto your face, which has to be good. Mostly I wear longer lengths as I live in the tropics and I can wear them over my clothes so they don't get all sweaty (ewwwww). Dry season I will go back to shorter ones for a while.

What's a wattle? No, don't tell me! I probably have them, and don't know it. Ignorance is bliss!

I think the necklace looks great!

Hi Knotty,

I too am wondering what wattle means but you are right, perhaps it is bliss not to know:D

Did you guys ever watch Ally McBeal? There was a character with a wattle fetish ...

Ha! Those turkey appendages are called 'pearls' or 'beads' locally :rolleyes: On that bird it isn't very obvious why, but other varieties have them very beady. Never thought of the feature as ugly much like a peacock's tail. It's just hilarious - turning the meaning of the image around!

Darn! Used to wear coral strung like that and tell everyone what the inspiration for the design was :eek:

Hi Jody,

I am late to this. The necklace looks beautiful on you as it is.:) If you would like one more opinion I think it may be nicer to have an inch or so more. That way it rests just slightly more on the collar bone. Just my two cents. Either way you have a great necklace! :)

Cheers,
Pernula

Jody, I think the necklace looks great as it is. Personally I like to wear my pearls closer to the neck. One option is to consider ordering the matching bracelet, and when you fancy a longer 'look' just attach the two together. I do that with some of my strands, and seeing the clasps is not normally a problem. Obviously this will lengthen the necklace quite a lot, but I find the extra length very flattering. I am also in my 40s.

Turkeys have highly developed wattles. Mine are that saggy skin under the chin so many older folks get. Not exactly a double chin but similar. :p May none of you ever have aging skin under the chin as you get older. ;)

Back