Feedback - are colored strands of pearls practical?

Hi Casey and Pattye,
Yes, bracelets, I think. I strung them for a necklace, but for some reason, most probably my lack of design skill, they look much nicer as bracelets.

Colours - I'm Caucasian and fair - well, I was before the silver took over ! - and I seem to suit most pearl colours. But that may be because the skin fades with age :D

Hello Jody,
Sorry to hear about your dad.
With my baroques I wear huge white fw pearl studs.
Any coloured pearls will look great with casual wear, and maybe you might try a long rope if the budget allows - when wearing a long rope, I am always touching and handling the pearls, and maybe this would be a great way to remember your dad.

Hi Jody,

If you are still unsure what colors suit you best you could go to some department stores and try some on. I find I always need to try things on to really know what I like best. Also, for me, my skin tans very easily. I am rather fair skinned when not exposed to the sun, but hold a tan well and right now because of where we are living, I have a constant tan. As my skin changes I notice my jewelry looks different on me, but it still looks good. I don't think you can go wrong no matter what you chose.

I'm really at a loss on what strand, earrings, and perhaps bracelet to purchase, hence looking at colored pearls...
<snipped>
...Any thoughts would really be appreciated....oh and FORGOT, what kind of earrings do you wear with 'baroque' pearls? Curious...

Sorry to hear about your dad. It's great to buy something to remember him by. I think if budget allows for it, get huge lustrous perfect rounds. If not, the baroque you mentioned is an excellent idea. I find these two shapes more versatile than rice as they could be worn for dressy occasions. On the matter of earrings to match the baroques, I've always thought it would be nice to have something from the necklace but as Sueki mentioned, huge freshwater pearls in a matching colour would also turn out well.

If you want a matching set strands, earrings and bracelets, however, you might wish to visit the retailers to see what catches your fancy as buying them separately might be give rise to matching problems.

I own a strand of natural color multi-color freshwater pearls (round) they are my fav. thing to wear I wear them almost every single day with all different types of clothing. They go with everything. I wish I had a picture to show them off. I might have to take one. I also own a strand of peach colored akoya pearls with a matching bracelet. The akoya strand is very lustrous and equally as beautiful. No matter what I wear I always find myself grabbing the freshwater strand over the akoyas. :rolleyes:

I have freshwater pearls on various colours and lengths, but my most favourite are a long rope of freeform baroques in varying shades of lavender. I wear them just about every day (even to take my son to school, I'm a stay at home mum too). I've started wearing FW pearl dangle earrings, but I'm lazy, so mostly I wear my favourite gold huggie hoops because I can just leave them in all the time.
I also live in the tropics so dry season when its cooler I can wear the shorter strands, but now, when I sweat (er, sorry perspire or glow) I wear a sleeveless shirt with a collar and a rope so I don't drip all over them (oh how appetising lol).
I'd say look around and see what leaps out at you
Cathy

Hi Jody,

Here is just an idea about earings for baroque pearls. These are Phillipinean FW with a soft creamy glow, they are in fact not so white as on the photo, rather creamy but I could not get it right with a camera. They pass to any colour and somehow 'adapt' their own colour to what you wear. But the shape is universal, that's what I like about them. I wear the with all the baroques of mine.

EaringsPhillippineandrops-vi.jpg

As you can plainly read, everybody has their own preference. Bottom line: Please yourself, not anybody else, and you'll thank your father and think of him often.

I do remember in a post long ago, Jeremy Shepherd (Pearl Paradise) suggested that a person can't go wrong by going for quality over size.

I lost my mother in November and was very sorry to hear about the loss of your father.
Hope you remember him with joy.

barbie

P.S. My mom left me her cappuccino machine. I had stopped drinking coffee but now make a cup every morning and think of her.

Jody:
Have you looked at PP's Freshadama sets? The 7-8mm's are not too expensive and I can tell you from experience (I have peach 6-7mm and lavendar 8mm's) once you get some you'll be obsessed. I've heard others say the whites are just as mesmerizing.
So much for my input...

Back