Natural (colored) Golden Freshwater Pearls

Nicole

Hey, someone point me to the thread if this has already been discussed.

I would love to see (and own) natural colored golden CFWP. I believe that I've read here before something to the effect that any pearls of a natural golden color would be bleached white because it would be considered an undesirable color. This is so annoying to me. I would love golden FW pearls included in a multicolor natural colored strand. I don't really like the look of white pearls in a multicolored strand, but goldens would be really pretty.

And larger goldens! These would be so awesome! If golden South Sea pearls are so popular, why not 10mm+ golden freshwater pearls?

I don't think I'm so completely outside of the mainstream on this. I hope that the Chinese pearl producers will eventually take a chance on letting some of the goldens keep their natural colors, rather than sending them immediately to the bleaching jars.

Has anyone seen any?

Nicole

Hi Nicole,

I know such pearls exist - I've been looking at some natural colour strands from one of Ebay sellers, and among them were these, for instance. You will probably be able to find something similar or better from the vendors participating in this forum.

No idea what's real and what is not on FleaBay. Obviously, there is a yellow end of the 'peach' range of freshwater colors, but I a still waiting to see a freshwater pearl the color of gold. Speaking of metals; you can find 'copper' and pinkish silver colors that really stand out, in my opinion.

Also, artificially colored 'golden' freshwater pearls can be quite persuasive. Not all have psychedelic, cartoonist yellows.

One seller bothered to show natural and painted yellows side by side. well, I am assuming the SS are naturally colored. Got to trust somebody, in the end.

You might want to guess first & click after to see what's what ;)

95cc56dc8d2ecddcfd4ae202eb6f03d1.jpg

Since all this talk is about pictures, take it with a grain of salt. A big one.

Also, may I confess that the peach colors look more attractive to me then the yellows? Well, that's that. I like that color in any gems, especially for spring.

I like the peaches too, especially in a pastel shade with lots of pretty overtones. I've seen a few that could almost be called orange that I really like too.

I like the peaches okay, as well. But I'm just saying that if natural goldens are being produced, but bleached to white before we even get to see them, that's annoying. Especially if some are then being dyed back to a natural-looking gold color! Also, I think that natural goldens would look nice in a multicolor strand with natural peach/pinks and natural lavenders.

I also wonder about other potential natural CFWP colors that may be out there, maybe routinely bleached-out and dyed over. Are there natural silver/blue/greys, natural champagnes?

Do you think that consumers generally are uninterested in yellow/golden colors to the extent that they should all be automatically bleached to white? I understand that most of the demand is for white pearls. It's just disappointing to me to think that this demand has to be at the expense of beautiful natural colors.

If this is even the case. I might be way off here. I don't know what colors CFWP are before they are bleached.

Nicole

That'd be crazy! (to bleach golden pearls). It is such a popular color... but ya' never know.

The variation of colors in natural freshwater pearls is not very apparent online methinks. In nature you can't really escape them, although by the time selected and classified hanks look relatively monotonous as well - at least compared to the medley of shapes, sizes and colors harvested. Not sure if this makes for a cynical story about sales or just another annoying necessity :eek:

I'm keeping fingers crossed: lots o good things happen around this forum. Including new ways to appreciate pearl colors ;) [nothing covert: just thinking of PP's impending offer of exotics. it's a start...].

I think I've seen some "golden" freshwaters. I'm recalling though, a color that was not very attractive. I *think* I've seen some lavender pearls that tended to have "golden" areas on them. I'm thinking of a color that was more "golden" in the sense of uh..baby doodoo than gold. Am I dreaming or can someone confirm this shade of "golden" pearls?

Those freshwater goldens have been calling me for a while. Yellow is my favorite color. I thought they were treated, though. I'm pretty sure they are. I hadn't seen that Stachura color comparison before. Thanks for showing that. Anyway, I'm also getting either the claret or black cherry. I'll let you all know how they are!

The painted freshwater goldens look pretty good, but I have to point out that those GSS look like "yellow" rather than true golds. While that is part of the spectrum of gold, yellow SS aren't worth quite as much as true GSS and apart from a comparison of colors with the freshwaters, it wouldn't really be fair to say that the painted freshwaters are true gold. A bit pedantic, but we have to compare like with like.

I actually like the gold pinks and wouldn't mind seeing some freshadamas in that color. Some of those have amazing orient as well, though that can be due to the shape as it's mostly off-rounds and drops I've seen. Might be a bit washed out for freshadamas unless there are enough to form an overtone by itself. I'm just not a fan of true peach. A strand each of golden pink and salmon pink from the pink family and true cotton candy pink and true violet/eggplant freshadamas would be a dream come true. I can hope though ...

ETA: I would actually consider this more gold than pink, and I actually like it better than yellow golds.

Last edited:
Back