To Zhuji or not??

Well, now for the crazy shopaholic to chime in.

If you've been to Shanghai you've probably heard of Chenghuang Temple and the Yuyuan bazaar. There are tons of tiny shops there that sell local novelties. You'd find silk ties, scarves (not necessarily rugs), mud dolls, cloisonnes, jade and oil paintings. However, you will not get good deals on the jade. The wholesale markets in Guangzhou are a lot bigger with alot more choice. Shanghai tends towards high consumer prices. Not to say you won't luck out on some closing down sale, but I will not be hopeful. Jade is very expensive there. Then there are snuff bottles, calligraphy sets, local snacks (really don't like the Northern Chinese foodstuffs but you may want to try some) - anything you want you can find there. There is even a pearl "wholesale" market. Apparently there is higher end stuff but also at higher prices. You will need at least 2 days to finish a cursory glance at all the stores. Oil paintings will not be the highest quality for replicas - Xiamen is the oil painting capital, and Shenzhen has some good studios, but if you're just looking to buy some small stuff Chenghuang Temple/Yuyuan bazaar will have almost everything you want for a price. There are stone trinkets that are reasonably cheap - look for the stores with a fixed low price - there will be others selling for a premium while they let you bargain. I have found the same items in Guangzhou for about 1/4 of the lowest I've found in Shanghai, but that's another story. The crystal accessories aren't bad at all.

I highly recommend Xujiahui and the huge malls - Shanghai is consumer shopping haven. If you go after Chinese New Year, e.g. late Feb/early March, you will hit the sales. I'd get golf clubs in the malls when it's on sale. Retail shopping isn't bad for clothes and shoes. I prefer wholesale shopping in Guangzhou. The malls there aren't as sophisticated and there is less choice for higher end goods, but the wholesale markets are great. I spend an average of 2 weeks there each trip.

Huaihai Road has alot of retails stores, and the locals like frequenting it. I've never found anything of too much interest there. Nanjing Road is a pedestrian mall with tons of stores as well, albeit more touristy. There is the pearl city where Ling Ling is, of course, and a few larger scale jade/jewellery stores. Just have to be careful about price. Do some research and set a budget before you go.

I'd say, spend a day in Shanghai and get some comparison strands before you go to Zhuji, hopefully make a day trip or just stay overnight there as you will not likely get large quantities and it's hopeless to try and trudge through all the factories. If you do go by train, make sure it sets off from the new Shanghai South station. The older train station is a wreck. Come back to Shanghai and spend at least 4-5 days completing the shopping trip.

Hi everone,

Well here I am in Shanghai. I didn't check this thread for a day or two before I left, and had pretty much decided to go to Weitang after a first day shopping here in Shanghai. However, my budget is also about $5K US -SO now I am doing my initial shopping here in shanghai today. I have a list of quality/size/type of strands I am looking for and will try to get an idea of what is available in Nanjing Road, then I will try to head to Zhuji tomorrow. That way I will still have a couple of days in Shanghai again before heading back to Sydney.

I will let you all know how I go with my travels. I am very excited about it all - taking my pearl selling business a bit more seriously has been a bit of a dream for a while now, and with the backing of my family and support of friends, it seems to be coming to fruition.

Will keep you posted tonight on Shanghai prices!

Nerida.

Yes, it is hard to keep your head clear, in order, and not be overwhelmed while researching where to go and what to do, especially when you (I) am limited with time. I only have 4 days...I thought I'd fly through my pearl money in half an afternoon if I am going to have to buy in bulk. I don't think that would be wise. ??

I am going to take all of the information and write it down - and chew on it for a while. Thank you all for the sources. I thought Ling Ling was at the (Hongqiao) pearl market in Beijing - ok - better go back to my notes and correct that.

I am not thinking I want to wear pearls to the pearl markets in Zhuji - because I do not think I have anything to wear that is nice enough. It would be silly for me to wear a med. quality necklace in front of these experts and expect to get respectable feedback in negotiations. ?

thanks again. I am sure I am going to have more questions later and I can't wait to see what happens with the lady who is currently there now. Interesting how much we have in common. Good luck to you on your trip there.

I went to Australia, Deakin Uni - Geelong - in 96' to college as an int'l exchange student while I was attending University of Alaska.

Hi all,

Back here in Sydney, after an extremely busy 4 days in and around Shanghai. I haven't picked up my pearls yet from the airport (needed to be cleared through a customs broker first), but I will post some "representative" photos when I collect them tomorrow.

Firstly - Shanghai versus Zhuji/Weitang(near Suzhou)

There is a lot to be bought in Shanghai, and anyone seriously looking for pearls would be well advised to look at lots of the traders in the city before heading off to the bigger markets. There are LOTS of good traders in Shanghai - I spent quite a bit of time (and eventually money) at both 558 Nanjing Road East (remember the East - this translates as Nanjing Dong Lu, there is a Nanjing Road West just to keep you totally confused), and also the traders at Pearl's Circle at 288 Fuyou Road. This last market is in a touristy area (Yuyuan Gardens) above a very glitz-and-glamour looking jewellery store, so you need to take the escalators up to the 3rd floor - it seems not too many tourists find there way up there, surprisingly! Handle lots of pearls, and ask lots of questions - you will soon find out which traders have direct links to the growers, and are not just middle men buying cheap stock to resell to tourists. The more they think you know, the more honest they will be regarding price and quality. It is very hard though to find out exactly what price they will sell for until it is clear that you are going to buy - so that makes it a little difficult to do comparative price shopping prior to heading out of town.

I said in my last post that I was going to go to Zhuji - the cost for a private vehicle transport for the day to Zhuji and return was about 2000RMB, which I thought was a little high - or 2 hours by train and then by taxi 1.5 hours as discussed several times in this forum. It was VERY cold in Shanghai - about 1degree celsius, and unfortunately I was reasonably unwell with a flu virus, so I opted out of 7 hours travel time and went to Weitang instead. I caught a public train from Shanghai to Suzhou - you need to do this from the main Shanghai Railway Station - which as Raisondetre has said, is quite chaotic, and probably not for the fainthearted. I have done this before so wasn't too daunted! If you are going to travel out of Shanghai by train try to get a D class train - they travel at around 160-170 kph, and are very comfortable. Demand is high - it might pay to go to the railway station the day before to purchase your ticket, and this will help you orientate yourself regarding platform numbers etc. Last time in Shanghai I had the hotel do it for me and I think I was charged about 60USD for a ticket that sells at the station for around $3 - so much better to do it yourself- you can buy a lot of pearls for the difference!

Taxi to Weitang from Suzhou was about 55RMB - I had the concierge at the hotel write down the details for me before I left Shanghai so that I wouldn't get stranded in Suzhou!

How to dress? I figure that if you are caucasian and shopping in China, no matter what you wear, you are "wealthy" to them - so dress to suit yourself!! In Weitang (as I said, it was freezing, and the huge market has no heating.... most traders were sitting around in full length snow gear!) I did my usual look of black trousers, white shirt etc. etc. with the warmest long jacket I own, all of which would have looked quite "businessy". A couple of traders actually commented - saying that I looked as if I knew what I was doing - maybe foolishly, I took it as a compliment! I don't wear jewellery when shopping for pearls - I find I want to see the pearls against my skin - see how earrings hang, how colours reflect and are picked up by clothing etc. etc. so I think it just confuses the issue to have your own stuff on. Also, if you do have pearls on, the traders want to know where you bought them, how much you paid for them - maybe to get an idea of how much you will be prepared to pay for their goods??

Weitang probably has about 60 pearl traders on the bottom floor, and the top floor seems to have jade and other stones. I thought I would get a chance to browse around upstairs just for interest, but I ended up being short of time so I can't really talk aobut what is available, prices etc...

There are stores around the perimeter of the building (huge, built like a high school gymnasium but 4 times the size), and traders in booths in rows in the central atrium. If you are looking for smaller pearls, the central booths seemed to have great quality stock. I ended up in a perimeter store, owned and operated by a family who farmed their own pearls. Their college-aged daughter spoke reasonable English, and I had mum and dad both coming in to negotiate and show me various pearls. I needed to have my pieces finished - I don't string my own strands (I really must learn!!!) - and this is one of the issues for me with shopping out of town. It takes TIME! I was buying ropes - I wanted about 15 in all - and it just takes too long for these smaller operators to string that many pearls if you want to take them with you. The quality and prices were fantastic - I bought some gorgeous lavender strands of 10 - 11mm for around 500RMB AA+ quality. The ropes were AA 8-9mm and were about 300RMB for 3.5 strands. I also bought many strands of 6-7mm rice pearls - fabulous lustre - for around 35RMB (around $5.20 Australian - maybe $4 US?) and 8 - 9mm for 45RMB - for a jewellery making friend. I also bought some very unusual rectangular pearls made into 2 and 3 strand necklaces from another trader. I really do think most mid size designers and retailers would find the quality, volumes and prices that they require in Weitang. However - with only one day available for me, I found it impossible to buy everything on my wish list there, and so returned to Shanghai with only about 20% of my requirements met! I asked a couple of Weitang traders about Zhuji - mostly they intimated that the volumes required for purchase are very high. Still, I might go on my next trip, just for interest! If the maglev train comes to fruition, the travel time will be down to about 1 - 1.5 hours from Shanghai - perfect!!

I went to LingLing in Nanjing Road first - and did do a bit of buying there - I will post piccies and prices tomorrow - but did find them a bit overpriced on the more interesting shapes. One thing I was looking for were fabulously big coin pearls - about 17mm if possible - and LingLing had some gorgeous oval shaped ones that started at around $4000 Australian and ended up at $950!! She also had a gorgeous strand of keshis that I couldn't negotiate below $1000. Don't know what you all think, but I think that is extremely high!! I did get good prices on the pieces I bought, and was generally happy with the experience. I also bought a few pieces from Daxi pearls - also on the second level - some rectangular coin pearls with great lustre - for about 80RMB per strand, and was very tempted by their highest quality 11-12mm for around 5000RMB - they were just gorgeous, but out of my league for the moment!

I ended up doing most of my buying from Lisa's Pearls on the 3rd level - for me, they ticked all the boxes - owner of the store came to deal with me after my second visit; very nice quality with their own farms; lots of staff, which meant that my pieces could get made quickly (overnight for about 60 pieces); and some good cheaper lines of nice designs - pearl lariats, interesting necklaces - all for between 35 and 100RMB per piece - these will resell well. They also worked with me to do some lovely single pearl pieces on both leather and 14K gold chain, with 12 - 13mm white and dyed black FW's. Interestingly, although this store was unknown to me, on my second visit I met an Australian designer who has always bought her pearls there - buying similar volumes to me!!

All in all - it was fabulous to buy in person - the quality of what I have brought home is far better than what I have been purchasing online and via email communication. The trip was very educational - both about doing business generally, doing business in China in particular, and in improving my knowledge and confidence as a pearl seller. However, I do feel that I will need to go back to buy in person when I need more pearls. I just don't think pearl buying is something you can do without handling the product yourself. Next visit I will take more time - I think a total of 7 days away rather than 5. My other advice would be to do as I did and keep a spreadsheet of your requirements/budget/expenditure to date with you whilst away, and update it each evening - it is very easy to overspend!! Isn't it always?? Also - check with customs before you leave - in Australia, for purchases over $1000, tax of 10% is payable on entry, plus 5% duty on finished jewellery products, and work this into your budget up front. Organise a broker before you leave home!

Sorry to have prattled on so long - hope this may be of use to others who are planning similar trips!

Nerida.

I'm glad you had a good time. The experience sounds positively like heaven! My time will come ... it'll be warmer in a couple months.

I think Lisa Pearls is the one that pilfered all the photos from PP. Glad you found what you want. I'm hesitant to buy from them if that's the case, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend them.

AAhh!! I just googled Lisa's Pearls and yes, you are right - the site is a copy of PP's - I think the photos of their actual products are their own, but all the photos on the main pages, and the layout of the site is lifted directly from Pearl Paradise's site! Not good form at all! Also the "Care of your pearls" page is word for word identical - right down to the lovely single Tahitian pearl at the end of the text! Annoying!

Still, you make decisions armed with the information you have at hand, and I certainly found them to be much more ethical than others seemed to be, and much more obliging. Rupeipei's staff were almost as indignant as those at Asprey jewellers in London, and for much less reason!

I think I will email Lisa.... if she does want to run an ethical business, she needs to rethink her web site. If she doesn't want to run an ethical business.... well then that's her decision, but she won't get many recommendations from here!

By the way ksrizz - there is parking available at the markets at Weitang - maybe also in Zhuji?

Nerida.

Hi Nerida,

thank you for very nice reading! How I envy you to be able to get there in person! Very informative, if I ever should go there, I am certain to read your post beforehand:D.

The only thing I would have liked is to have a conversion for RMB versus US $ or AUD, but that I can look up myself, just being a bit lazy!

Keep on posting and I am looking forward to your photos, thanks!

Thanks Nerida, and everyone. This thread has been very interesting. I like to travel vicariously! ;)

Nerida,
Thank you so much for all of the information and where you went and how you faired. It sounds like Weitang was your best experience had you had more time. Yes, too, it seems like if you have a smaller budget, to go and pay $1 or $2 more per strand doesn't seem that 'hurtful' - given more convenience and more selections.

I still think I am going to try and go to the pearl markets near Zhuji. My husband and I have planned 2 days there. One day for bartering and the next day for purchasing. I can string my own and also use that nylon coated stainless steel which works very well for smaller pearls, pieces / styles. I usually use 2 or 3 types of pearls too, so I can purchase in bulk and add in stones as I purchase them online or from the markets here. So, our needs are a slightly different, nevertheless, I think we are both having a ball with our pearl 'hobbies'.

I would very much like to see pictures...and if anyone has other pictures of the S. pearl markets near Zhuji - I would appreciate having a look at what enviornment I am going to be in while there. Right now my imagination runs wild and doesn't have much to go on...yet, the thoughts constantly run through my head.

It also sounds like Ling Ling is bery proud of her pearls....maybe the little bit of advertisment has given her plenty of business from the US (and other places around the world) - Sharon's in Beijing went from a GREAT source to the poorest choice out there because she takes advantage of people's ignorance, vulnerability, and trust. However, again, it is just that the West ... has different business ethics and perspectives...I couldn't look in the mirror with such practices, but I was raised that this was wrong, they weren't...

anyway, I have a lot of general opinions, they are free, you can ignore them.

thank you again, I'll note all of the places you stopped and it will give me a lot to think about as I travel....

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, although I will probably never have the opportunity to shop China, it is great to hear all the details regarding the negotiating and all!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Yes, I feel very lucky to have had the opportunities I have had to go to China, particularly this last trip which was pretty much just for pearl shopping! I have a very obliging husband!!

Ksrizz - I would still definitely try to get to Zhuji if I were you. Your needs are different to mine - you don't need them strung, and you probably buy many more of the one type of strand than I ever would. It will be hard to negotiate to a final price though on one day, planning to purchase the next - I hope that works out OK for you. It should be warmer by then too, although if you went to University in Alaska, the cold probably wouldn't be an issue for you!!! I was pretty happy to get back to sunny summertime Sydney yesterday!

I just picked up all my goodies from customs, and will try to do the photography tonight or tomorrow evening.

By the way - 1 AUD = 6.3 RMB = 0.87 USD at the moment.

The market in Weitang is still small compared with Zhuji. Most of the pearls in Weitang are also from Zhuji's raw pearl providers.

In Zhuji, you need a large volume. Then you can get good or reasonable price. But it does not mean that you can get all you need at one time. The factories hesitate to process the pearls. But if they finish one product, they try to sell them as soon as possible.

Photos from China trip...

Photos from China trip...

I thought it was time I added some of the pictures of my Shanghai purchases. Totally new to all this, so not sure if it is going to work....

The first is of a couple of beautiful baroque strands - about 11mm x 13mmView attachment 2744

Next is of two (very different) lavender strands - bought from the grower at Weitang.. These are 10 - 11mm
View attachment 2745

Some strands of gorgeous square coin pearls bought in Shanghai
View attachment 2746

I bought lots of ropes - I think I mentioned that earlier - these whites are 9 - 10mm 17 3WM 60 inch 9-10mm AA+ white pearl rope.jpg

And in Weitang I found just a couple of strands of these beautiful silvery (treated) rectangular pearls....had them made into a 3 strand necklace - varying lengths thanks of Sueki's thread about 3 strand necklaces - thankyou!! The photo really doesn't do these justice - I think I need to experiment a bit more with lighting, and camera settings. These pearls just shine!22 14 WM  3 strand silver grey rectangular pearl necklace.jpg

I will see how these pictures look before I get too carried away - have lots of others to show you all!

Nerida

Last edited:
Hi Nerida,
thanks for the lovely photos - keep going and post more.

I like the luster in the first two strands, they also have fine orient and the square coins as well as the silvery rectangular strands I find enchanting!

Of course every other of your purchases looks very nice and for a newby in pearls you seem to have done extremely well, I wish I could travel to Zuhij as well, just to see all the pearls there are...

A few more photos:

Pretty pink rope - 9 - 10mm, AA18 3WM Pink rope.jpg

Three 11 - 12mm treated black strands - different overtones - the bluish one is lovely - dreadful photo, though - sorry!
View attachment 2750

First one with copperish pink overtones
View attachment 2751
Second with the blue tone
View attachment 2752

Last one with plum pink overtones - this one is much more lustrous than shown in the photo..

And some treated black "rice" pearls
View attachment 2753

Might do another group soon of the other rices and circled ones....

Thanks for your interest, the photos from Tuscon in the other threads are making me wish I was there too...

Nerida

Is there ever such a thing as too many pearls??

Last edited:
Nerida -
Thank you for sharing your purchases with all of us, and please do post pictures of the rice and circle pearls! I can hardly take my eyes off the darker lavender strand. Your pictures are really making me wish I'd had an interest in pearls when I visited China...

Back