Starting a new business

I have recently started a new business and would like to carry pearls.

Can anyone tell me how to import Freshwater Pearls from China to the US? Is there a reputable vendor in China you recommend?

Or is there a place I can buy Pearls wholesale in the US?

I would like to import because they are so much less. I have found two websites www.topearl.com and www.cnepearls.com has anyone every dealt with these? Is there someone else you recommend?

I want to import legally and need any advise you have. I understand alot of people import illegally.

Can anyone tell me what the procedures are for getting through customs? What is the procedure for paying customs duties.

One vendor told me it is forbidden to import pearls but that they code the box imitation beaded strands and declare a low value. What do you know about this?

Do you have any other advise for me to get started?

lookingforpearls said:
One vendor told me it is forbidden to import pearls but that they code the box imitation beaded strands and declare a low value.

Good Heavens !
I hope not, as I buy most of my pearls from the U.S., and they will have been imported by the vendors.

lookingforpearls said:
One vendor told me it is forbidden to import pearls but that they code the box imitation beaded strands and declare a low value. What do you know about this?

What I know about customs in the U.S. would fill a thimble. I have made many purchases in HK, shipped to the US of gemstones and pearls. I know of no US import restrictions. I do know I am not charged custom fees as I do not purchase finished jewelry. I think what you were told is correct, however, the word "imitation" was translated incorrectly. I could be wrong.

But my question to you is, why not call customs for a definitive answer? If your goal is to import according to custom regulations, then they should be able to advise you better than we. We can only share our experiences.

As far as a vendor is concerned, I can highly recommend BigWell Pearls as a source, Mr. Vigor He. While I have not been able to purchase a large quantity from him, I found him to be very forthcoming in his dealings. Additionally, he also has sources you can purchase from in the U.S. whereby you can by-pass your customs concerns.

Good luck!

There are no import restrictions into the United States. If the pearls are unstrung, there is no import duty either. If the jewelry is finished there is a 5.5% duty.

Vigor is an akoya pearl trader out of Xuwen but I don't think he deals in freshwater pearls.

Yes, he's a trader. His member profile mentions that he handles freshwaters.

Last edited:
Hi Lookingforpearls,

From the websites you listed, I'm wondering if you want inexpensive finished jewelry?

Integrity pearls.com who posts here sells both loose strands and finished pieces, they are just one that came to mind-----

It would help if you give us a better idea of the quality you want. We have a number of online sellers who handle Very High Quality finished jewelry, but at extremely good prices.

Can you tell us a bit more about your new business?

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Hi
I am not at all clear about what kind of pearls you want to sell, finished or loose- as they call the ones on a string with no clasp. Cheap or good quality. Pearls are so varied and so complex a subject that it would be really helpful to educate yourself thoroughly or you will get taken again and again. (partly because most jewelers know nothing about pearls either)

REally educate yourself on freshwater pearls if that is what you want. There are terrific bargains out there, but not for the unknowing or the gullible.

I have seen topearl's site and they make really cheap and in my opinion, ugly jewelry with no sense of style. They use commercial grade pearls. If you buy from them, the prices will be low and all customs will be part of the price.

I would never give them my email address as they are the most persistent spammers ever seen on this site. They have desperate salespeople looking to snag anybody into spending foolishly.

You will never get what is in the picture because they sell in volume and only use one picture. Besides, you pay the same price as the next person looking online for cheap pearls, so how will you make a profit?

I buy only loose pearls and make up my own stuff. I personally like commercial grade pearls and buy them at the big gem shows in Tucson in Feb and at the smaller show in Sept. where the prices can't be beat.

I also use a couple of eBay sites I think have good prices. They both shop in China and sell direct to Americans. Integrity Pearls and the Pearl Emporium.

I made one order from Mandy Yue (member Mandyshan) earlier this year. She even set up a Paypal account so I could buy from her. She worked so hard to get my business that I would say I think she is a person you can negotiate with. She is right in the heart of that pearl town in Zhuji. I would trust her more than topearl, anyday.

She sellls in quantity, but made an exception for me (that is, I only bought 20 strands) and may be willing to do it again to get business.

Last edited:
Looking for Finished goods

Looking for Finished goods

Thank you for all of your response. I am looking for finished pearls that I can sell immediately. I want decent quality but want my retail prices to be low so that I can move alot of stuff.

Do you all have contact information on the recommendations? Pearl Emporium and Integrity Pearls, have you all bought alot of pearls from them. Are there any other recommendations? Is there someone in the states that you all would recommend as well.

As far as importing... can someone give me the procedures to make smooth and legal transactions. Say when I find a good vendor, determine what to buy, negotiate, pay for the goods then what??? How do they code the paperwork for customs as far as what is in the box? It makes me nervious as I don't want to get had.

Thank you all so much for all of your help.

Hi Again Lookingforpearls--

I guess what some of us are trying to say is that there aren't one line answers to your questions. It's not a "cut and dried" business. The most expert person here on the forum will not be able to answer your questions in 3 paragraphs or 3 pages.

You are going to have to know a lot about pearls to negotiate a good deal and to be able to evaluate what you are buying. If you really want to learn about pearls you will find the info here on the forum.

Reread what Caitlin wrote about 15 times and internalize it---you will be on your way!;)

Pattye

Commercial

Commercial

I would think the quality would be commercial as I want the price to stay low. The prices of topearl and cnepearl are what I am looking for. Is there an online retailer that is trustworthy and you all have purchased from. I do want the items to be already made into jewelry.

Question

Question

I was also wondering if jshephard would be interested in talking with me via email in more detail about this. Thanks

I understand Mr. Shepherd has written a book. Perhaps it will help you and answer your questions.

knotty panda said:
As far as a vendor is concerned, I can highly recommend BigWell Pearls as a source, Mr. Vigor He. While I have not been able to purchase a large quantity from him, I found him to be very forthcoming in his dealings. Additionally, he also has sources you can purchase from in the U.S. whereby you can by-pass your customs concerns.

Good luck!

I can second that, knowing that Mr. Vigor is on the look-out for importers of pearls (in this case perhaps Akoya pearls too....)
:).
If you want to contact him, here is his e-mail address:
vigorhe@hotmail.com.
Good luck!

Buying pearls in US

Buying pearls in US

Sueki said:
lookingforpearls said:
One vendor told me it is forbidden to import pearls but that they code the box imitation beaded strands and declare a low value.

Good Heavens !
I hope not, as I buy most of my pearls from the U.S., and they will have been imported by the vendors.

Sueki, would you be able to share who you buy your pearls from? I would love to purchase from someon in the US.

online stores

online stores

pattye said:
Hi Lookingforpearls,

From the websites you listed, I'm wondering if you want inexpensive finished jewelry?

Integrity pearls.com who posts here sells both loose strands and finished pieces, they are just one that came to mind-----

It would help if you give us a better idea of the quality you want. We have a number of online sellers who handle Very High Quality finished jewelry, but at extremely good prices.

Can you tell us a bit more about your new business?

Pattye

Pattye

Would you be able to provide the online retailers for me? I am looking for decent quality that has a substantial profit margin. I have a home based jewelry business and I also do jewelry shows. I would be interested to see what the retailers you mentioned can provide. Where are they located are they in the US or China, if China do you know what are the correct procedures for importing is. I look forward to hearing back from you . Have a great day.

Back