keshi pearls

P

pmorna742

I have some keshi pearl strands, sizes are approximately 15x10mm - 10x10mm. I'd like to know how to grade keshi properly. Some of my strands have very thick nacre (all nacre, I know), but others are more like what I've seen described in some places as "petals". So, which are generally the more prized? Personally, I prefer the delicate nature of the latter, but would the fact that the other keshi have a thicker nacre make them more desirable, generally speaking?

Thanks in advance

Morna - who's so dippy with technology that my "smiley" will very likely be en route to the moon by the time anyone read this!

Hi Morna,
All other things being equal the fatter the keishi the more it is valued .

DFrey

Hi Morna,
The Keishi should have high lustre on all sides, no black spots or pits, no chalky sides or spots for the best quality. I have quite a few of the petal pearls also, love them!! And plenty of both high and lesser quality, but still pretty, keishi. I think I have seen them graded-AAA, etc, but no explanation. The lustre is so often exceptional on them a few flaws are forgivable in my eyes! I especially love the lavender/purple.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Pattye: Are the lavendar/purple natural colored? Just curious. Who else would ask a question like that other than a forum member :) , right?

Hi Knotty,

Yes, that is a natural color, also pinks, peaches too! Of course, they are also sometimes dyed in many shades, but it is pretty easy to distinguish between. The peacock can be lovely also, but dyed, of course. (I am talking freshwaters here, just to be clear.)

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Hi Morna
I guess if you want to grade them you want prices too. I'd recommend checking out Care Ehret (Drusy Design) on eBay autions when she has fw keshi. The prices she gets for petals and other keshi will help you price your own pearls...

Last edited:
keshi - thanks

keshi - thanks

To all of you who responded to my question. I bought the keshi at the Hong Kong Jewellery Fair earlier this year. What a mesmerising sight all those pearls were!

I'll (try to!) post a couple of photos of the kind of jewellery I make sometime.

Morna PS why does my smiley not follow onto the end of my text?

I am very found of keshis too,
I have a strand of some hollow ones, Jeremy explained by the past how they happened to be hollow, they are big, sound nice, seem to be less expensive though as beautiful as heavy ones.
Small keishis seeds look terrific too when strung together twisted or not.
Not only big pearls are beautiful...;)

Attachments

• Big-T-Keshi-collierPG.jpg
    Big-T-Keshi-collierPG.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 5_akoyas_untwistedPP.jpg
    5_akoyas_untwistedPP.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 5_akoyas_twistedPP.jpg
    5_akoyas_twistedPP.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 34
I love the necklace made of the tiny keshis and large pearl clasp!

I would like to know where the line is drawn between baroques and keshis.Some pearls I've seen labeled keshis look an awful lot like baroques to me and the other way around.

Hi Casey
Baroques describe all off round pearls, keshi grow in pearl sacks that had a pearl already harvested, or sometimes as a part of the culturing process. Most keshi are crinkled and wrinkled, though they too are baroque..

Last edited:
That makes sense. I had thought it was just the corn flake looking pearls that were grown in an already used sack.
So a keshi is always a second generation.
Thanks Caitlin.

Back