Freshwater Barogue's - expensive?

suzannelowrie said:
In Zhuji I bought two strands of super-baroque pearls that looked like chewed gum...

What I imagine... are 'reborn' squarish pearls. "Chewed"? Harsh word, but descriptive :p I have seen such things (assuming what I have in mind is close to what you have) made into near waist-long ropes tight in front in a designer shop in spring. Rather fab looking, must say :cool: Those pearls were strung with large spaces between them, almost as long as the pearls themselves - I cannot quite remember now what was keeping them apart, must have been seed pearls knotted into the rope somehow. Clearly, the price did not reflect the cost of materials - rightfully so, just not in the range of one-season-in-next-season-out fashion for me :eek:

I'd bet no one will laugh at anything. Besides, it must have been 'Modern Jeweler' who glorified both these pearls and a few other types that are anything but mainstream valuable. They are as serious design material as anything.

while mulling over my large triple strand freshwaters i ordered double strand white freshwater baroques on impulse. hopefully they will be LARGE (asking for 12 mm, what else :D )

anyone has a pic of their multistrand FWP baroques? or several strands of them worn together which you can show?

Here is me wearing my 17" together with the 19". The 21" arrived yesterday, and I'll try to get a photo of all three together over the weekend.

wearing my 17 together with the 19

Thanks, Perle,
I love the pearls. The photo doesn't do them any justice. But I took it myself, camera held at arm's length, and hoped for the best.
Now I must go up the wooden hill, or those neck wrinkles will be even worse tomorrow...

Sueki, I didn't think multiple strands of baroques would look good. I was totally wrong! I love them!

Thank you Knotty.
I love them and I love the look of two or three worn together.
I am older now, and dainty jewelry no longer does anything for me.
I came to this forum as a lover of classic, round, perfect akoyas.
These pearls give a modern, up to date look to the classic two or three row akoya necklace.
Good heavens, these must look good as even my husband has remarked on how lovely they are - and this from a man who virtually NEVER notices my jewelry. He probably doesn't even know the color of my eyes bless him !
And two or three rows of these pearls is the closest I am ever going to get to rows of large, expensive pearls.
Oh, and I am no longer a lover of the classic, round akoya look, having seen so many amazing pearls on here.
You folks have really opened my eyes....

Sueki, I've been trying to find details about your pearls here in previous posts and failed... I understand they are from PearlParadise... and the length of the strands is given here, but how about the size of the pearls?

Thanks! :)

Hello Valeria,
Oh, sorry - I didn't mention the sizes of the pearls.
I'll find the paperwork and get back later on.
The last necklace - 21" - I may have to measure the pearls themselves as Pearl Paradise made the necklace for me from two strands and a bracelet from the remainder of the strands.
I actually ordered two further bracelets which were intended as gifts - but all three look so good together that I am keeping them !
Sorry to my sisters.......

Here we go then.
The smallest pearl is approx. 8mm. long and 10mm. wide.
The largest: most are in the region of 12mm. by 10mm. and 12mm. by 12mm. The longest pearl is 14mm. by 10mm.
I've measured them with my tape measure and have tried to be as accurate as I can.
One of the strands is still on the web-site, ref. number : FWN-000270.
Pics. of all three together and apologies if they are too much.

Attachments

• 0022.JPG
    0022.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 0024 (2).JPG
    0024 (2).JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 0028.JPG
    0028.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 0035 (2).JPG
    0035 (2).JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 37
Those look great together. Are those the baroques that were a monthly special recently? I bought a strand and had two of the pearls made into earrings. I love them ( both necklace and earrings) and wear them all the time.I think mine are 11.5.

Hi Sueki,

Those are just fabulous! Three strands is not at all over the top--the baroques are stunning and look gorgeous on you! Plus anyone would know you are wearing "Real Pearls" that look like $10,000+!! There's something about a baroque pearl that really enchants the eye---

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Hi Casey and Pattye,
Thanks for your comments. Casey, yes, these are from the monthly specials selection.
Pattye, thanks. Three strands isn't, I feel, at all over the top.
But I do have a long neck, so maybe that has something to do with the look.
You are right - they look and feel a million dollars.
I forgot to mention the feel-good factor in my previous posts.
I've been wearing them all day, and while out this afternoon everyone I met was smiling and polite - even other drivers on our crowded roads.
Maybe it had something to do with it being a beautiful day, but I like to think it was those pearls......

I love those three strands together !!!
I tried to buy one from PP, but I had too many requests how they should look ( no flat sides, no chalky sides, no brown/dull pits/lines ect...). Kirsten really tried to find this "dream" strand for me, but in the end she said that I won't be happy with any of them.... I wonder if I did not project the image of me as being unreasonably picky..... Seeing how great they look on your slender neck I'm sorry I never got at least one like that.... Off I go to PP site to look again....

Sueki said:
I've been wearing them all day, and while out this afternoon everyone I met was smiling and polite - even other drivers on our crowded roads.
Maybe it had something to do with it being a beautiful day, but I like to think it was those pearls......

I'd 'blame' the pearls too... no surprise there: they are perfect! :D

imanit said:
I love those three strands together !!!
I tried to buy one from PP, but I had too many requests ...

Dunno what's up with the largish freshwater baroques :rolleyes: , especially the ones with plump, classic shape as opposed to thinner, twisted 'reborn'/'ke(i)shi' forms... They tend to have small, nagging issues and getting a no-excuse strand is anything but obvious :eek:. These tend to turn up quite a bit above the prices of the PP specials: about .9-1.5k for similar size (i.e., thanks, just looking). Larger than this, I only managed to find pearls priced separately or used as part of a slightly graduated strand - going up to 15 x 12mm or so, larger than I would be looking for en masse.

Now, I am used to see one season's freshwater 'heroes' and novelties becoming bread & butter for the next. Which makes the higher prices for a piece of classic, enduring style unappealing. Who knows...

Hi Sueki

I think three strands of freshwater baroques is the new one strand of classic rounds that our mother's/grandmothers wore.:p

You carry it off beautifully...

Hi Ivona,
My only requests to Mia were that I would like large, snow-whiteness and high lustre. And three strands that match reasonably well together.
Originally, all three arrived together, and Mia had chosen very well indeed. But I didn't like one of the strands.
It was beautiful, just not as beautiful as the other two. Thankfully, it was a standard 18 inch necklace, and so I was able to return it.
This return I swapped - and paid the extra, because I now needed two strands - for the 21 inch necklace and a bracelet made from the remaining pearls.
The 21 inch was chosen by Elia I believe.

What a beautiful look! How's the weight of the necklaces? I get dull headaches when I wear too-heavy necklaces. :(

Oh, thanks for your comment Caitlin,
I think you're right.
My grandmother had a two row akoya necklace, and these baroque freshwaters are, to my mind, the modern version of the classic.
They seem to have a younger, more up-beat look. And, as I said, they are the only way I will ever be able to afford huge pearls !

Back