Spice Pearls

knotty panda

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert
Is there a difference in "spice pearls" and other untreated natural colored FWP? I love spice pearls and whenever I get a strand of natural color FWP, I refer to them as spice, but I'm not sure I'm correct. Anyone know? (What a silly question, you silly Panda! Of course someone on this forum knows!)

Chilly & Pepper? ;) Vanilla, Saffron, Cinnamon... :cool:

Only heard the 'spice pearls' denomination online, and even then, in only a couple of places. It used to be just one shop.

Is it more common than that to your knowledge?

'Sweet pearls' sounds sweet and reads intuitive for mix-color strands of freshwater pearls in their natural range of colors. Nice, but not terribly informative, like most commercial names are meant to be.

Hello!
Yes, those "spice" pearls on ebay caught my eye also, but have to admit the price has held me back. I think that the ebay stores I have seen them in (2 that I know of) seem to be the same owner or have a relationship, use that term for the dark pink/mauve/copper color pearls. However, the prices I thought quite high for approx 10mm strand of rondelle shape. some of the strands offered in the 8-8.5mm range seem to have a color range from the deeper shades to much lighter. I have asked what kind of mollusk they come from, they can't give me an answer. I think the stores use the "spice" term in an attempt to set themselves apart! Is that where you have heard the term? Are we thinking in the same direction???
Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

pattye said:
Hello!
Is that where you have heard the term?

Those would be Monsoon and Augustus Collection Ebay stores? There is an independent website in the works too.

Definitely a sales pitch. What else? Wouldn't spice anything with whatever pearls smell like :eek: , would you... And there is no 'spice' color as far as I know (that's what I tried to allude to in the previous post). Since pearls come from the fabulous spice-producing lands of colonial fairy tales, 'spice pearls' sounds inspired.

Wouldn't bet that the apparently darker colors really are. Not implying malice there, it looks as if very often colored & lustrous pearls appear way darker in good photos. I'm rather counting on that. Probably nice pearls, but of their current listings like their white baroque ones better.
And the small SS keshi (if U're a fan of seed pearls). Expensive, but...

Hi Ana,
Exactly. I missed the geographical connection, but definitely got the Food one! Yeah, love the small keishi, amazing lustre, have bought a few gold beads from them, always fun to look!!!
Pattye

Actually, I heard the term many years ago. Then I also saw a strand of what was referred to as spice pearls in a high-end jewelry retailer in Cincinnati, also, many many years ago. I seached on-line several years ago and discovered Tri-Gems has distributed a product known as spice pearls for many years. I always thought they were a specific product, but I really had no one to ask. (Silly Panda!)

Here's a link to the Trigem Spice Pearls site. http://trigemdesigns.com/gems/spice-pearls.php I know Caitlin knows who they are because she has referenced their site in several posts.

Then, about a year ago, my wholesaler came up some natural colored strands which I snapped up in a heartbeat and I have always referred to them as spice pearls.

Now I am curious. Is there a distinction between spice pearls and other natural-colored FWP?

Last edited:
Hi Knotty P,

Thanks for making that connection for me! I didn't realize TriGem also used that terminology. I have recently met one of their designers Kathe Mai, who is also involved in a new retail pearl store in my area, called TRIOS for the 3 women involved. They also carry the Sea of Cortez pearls (via TriGem), which I wanted to see in person. Amazing! I need to return a magazine they loaned me, and will ask about the spice pearls.

Thanks much,
Pattye

dirty pearls - patches of color..

dirty pearls - patches of color..

Different question about untreated pearls: I saw, browsing Internet, pearls that some people refer to as "dirty pearls", some as "having skins". basically, those were pearls with patches of different color, mostly bronze - copper - gold. What causes those patches??? I ordered some pearls like this. I want to have a closer look at them... Please,could you give me some more information???

patch2.jpg

patch1.jpg

WOW Pattye! I knew someone would have the answer or know how to get it! That mollusk question is a great one! I believe all the spices have to be represented for them to be called spice pearls. These are my temporary strands and a bracelet I made. He-he-he! I finally uploaded!

Attachments

• spice.jpg
    spice.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 39
Imanit: Not an off-reference question at all! It was your post that made me go the spice pearl route in the first place! You know, I read an article that Caitlin had posted about old pearlers who used to "peal" pearls. It was a magnificent skill and one that apparently has been lost now that everything is cultured and who can peal a plated-pearl (say THAT fast 3 times :). I wonder if your dirty pearls are unpealed.

There is a thread on the forum called "pealing pearls" and indicates there are still a few that know how to do it! However, it sounds like it is primarily done on individual pearls of potentially good value. I also have a few strands of those rather blotchy pearls, somehow I rather like them----
I thought a "dirty pearl" was one with major flaws, peeling, pits, etc????
Pattye

There is a thread on the forum called "pealing pearls" and indicates there are still a few that know how to do it! However, it sounds like it is primarily done on individual pearls of potentially good value. I also have a few strands of those blotchy pearls, somehow I rather like them----
Pattye

Spice Pearl is a trade name. I believe it was developed by TriGems. It is actually a trademarked term from Columbia Gem House. It was an attempt to romantically describe the fancy colors of Chinese freshwater pearls, in a way similar to that of colored stones.

imanit said:
Different question about untreated pearls: I saw, browsing Internet, pearls that some people refer to as "dirty pearls", some as "having skins". basically, those were pearls with patches of different color, mostly bronze - copper - gold. What causes those patches??? I ordered some pearls like this. I want to have a closer look at them... Please,could you give me some more information??

Hi Imanit,

What you are seeing there is the result of element change in the water at the farm level. In China, pearls with these stains are referred to as "copper rust pearls". The stains considered to be on the surface because they have no natural luster - they are not considered to be part of the pearl. They are, however, a part of the top layer, and they cannot be bleached aways or easily covered up. What this means is that the strand in the picture may indeed be processed, but it could not be "fixed". Even if the pearl is dyed there will be an off-color spot and an area without luster.

Thanks Jeremy. I understand that pearls with stains like this are of much lesser value, at least commercially. Only a "maniac" like me can find them interesting... For my "beading experiments", I find that they can add an extra "spice" to the design....

Back