keep these freshadamas?

My husband gave me these freshadamas 18" 8.5-9mm for XMAS (I picked them out!), but I am still undecided... I am looking for an everyday, quality necklace... but not sure these have enough luster? In the picture they are next to 26" 8mm akoyas, which definitely have luster. I do like the freshadamas, but am debating if I should return for another... maybe one with more rose and luster, another Akoya 18", or Hanadama. I am still learning about pearls and so unsure of the different types...
akoyas are on the inside; freshadamas are outside.... thanks!
thumbnail_IMG_4314.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4315.jpg

pearlgirlbella2, only you can decide if you want to keep them or not. It seems that they have less luster than your baroque akoyas. Have you tried wearing them for a couple of hours? Maybe you will like them better then. It might help you decide regardless. Personally luster is very important to me, more important than a perfect shape. If you don't love them, it's better to return or exchange them. And welcome to the forum.

If you love luster, you'll probably keep eying the Akoya and not really use the Freshadamas. Did you have a specific purpose for them in mind? Are they intended to fill a hole in your collection or is it just another strand? Did you really want more Akoyas but they were too expensive? Did you want to supplement the Akoyas with something different? If the first, consider returning and saving. If the second, consider looking at something more different, like Tahitians or blue Akoya.

- Karin

I thought some freshwaters like the freshadamas do have luster? I thought the pearls in the Crown were freshwaters... and I love those... I'm still not sure what those are... Anyways I'll call the store Monday and see what they suggest... I thought akoyas were more delicate and not for everyday and the hadamas are so expensive ditto the Tahitians, so I thought I'd splurge on those next year or so...

I am now rereading about the Queen's "natural" pearls probably from the Persian Gulf, which probably translates to rare and unaffordable, I'll keep reading...

If it were a bracelet, I'd be more inclined to suggest solid-nacre freshwaters for their durability, since bracelets take more of a beating. A necklace, not so much. A good akoya necklace will last you many years, even if worn regularly. You do need to take care of it. Wipe it with a soft cloth after wearing. Store it away from jewelry that will scratch it. Restring it as neeed.

My Freshadama necklace does not have as much luster as the strand of akoyas I bought at a consignment shop. TBH I don't even wear it any more. I prefer all my other pearls. That's just me.

If the necklace doesn't thrill you, return it and get what you really want, even if it means saving up for it.

Good quality Akoya shouldn't wear down in your lifetime.

The saltwater pearls grow more slowly than freshwater pearls so the nacre is 'tighter' which gives more luster. It doesn't mean there can't be luster on freshwater pearls but they can't really match good Akoya. To me, white freshwater pearls seems like something you buy when you can't afford Akoya and really want classic looking round white pearls. To me, there are other kinds of freshwater pearls that have their own unique personality and are much more attractive. They come in various natural colours, can have metallic luster, etc.

It sounds like it might be the best for you to return them, sign up for the newsletters from the various online stores and start studying styles and prices. I did that after my first (and failed) purchase. It's very fun :) Reading posts here will also introduce you to a lot of different pearl styles that you may end up liking better than the classic white pearls.

- Karin

I think ideally I need to go and try on, as buying online, returning, etc. is more difficult. I lack the patience to wait till trying on is an option... but may have to... Even with akoyas the shades can vary... as with Tahitians, and all...

I agree that the freshadama are lacklustre next to the akoya, and also with those who have said that the akoya should last a long time (decades) even with daily wear as a necklace, provided you keep them away from sunscreen and perfumes. Personally, I prefer smaller akoyas to larger freshwater pearls - I would wear and enjoy those lovely akoya as an every day necklace and save up the cost of the freshies to put towards a Tahitian or blue akoya strand. If you prefer round pearls, akoya and Tahitians are costly, but if you can accept off round or baroque (some of which, especially akoyas, often still look quite round when worn), then they become much more affordable. But of course, trying things on is the best sway to find what you like, if. It is possible.

I think you're right; I could accept the akoyas I have as they are and move on... as I am also in the market for Tahitians... and I do love baroque... I'm looking for the drop, baroque kind in a blueish variety... I've seen some on American Pearl, but they look almost too blue and am not sure about them, but otherwise can't find much around... Kamoka has a ombre Tahitian strand that is quite lovely and about $1,400, not too much in the stratosphere... American Pearl 32" rope is about the same price.... and more blue... but almost too good to be true...?

thumbnail_IMG_4317.jpgThough the akoyas I have, are very small 3-7mm, pictured here... those above are 8mm, not small but long at 26"...
also pictured here are kasumi's large 13-15mm... everything is too large or too small or something it seems....

If you want some tahitians you may ask Cees. I got my first good multicolored roundish strand from him. I have bought a lot of pearls from him. You might also ask Wendy at Pearlescence. She found my blue tahitian strand. True she cannot travel at the moment but she has several nice strands in stock. I hope that you find what you are looking for.

I think you're right; I could accept the akoyas I have as they are and move on... as I am also in the market for Tahitians... and I do love baroque... I'm looking for the drop, baroque kind in a blueish variety... I've seen some on American Pearl, but they look almost too blue and am not sure about them, but otherwise can't find much around... Kamoka has a ombre Tahitian strand that is quite lovely and about $1,400, not too much in the stratosphere... American Pearl 32" rope is about the same price.... and more blue... but almost too good to be true...?

I've found blue Akoya to be very tricky. Tried twice to get that perfect pinkish / blue colorplay that I had seen in strands on the forum but with my budget, what I got was something that was a lot more silvery, bluish in the right light and with very few pink flashes. You may want to be prepared to return if you buy blue Akoya. I live in Denmark where I have to pay extra taxes so I kinda ended p with two blue strands I am not using at all. Maybe some day... The second one, Vietnamese Akoya, is better than the first but still not what I dreamed of. Images on websites, though, can look amazing...

Hi there. Recently I had someone help me out when I received a pair of pearls earrings that were kind of "meh". I tried to love them, but it was work. I went back and forth on them (in another forum ) and someone there reminded me that pearls are special, lustrous jewels. If you don't love them, why pay all that money for "meh".

Here are my "trying to love them" pair on the bottom. My white ss buttons on top for comparison. They (the "gold" pair) just didn't bring me joy.
20201208_161839.jpg

And then I asked a pearl vendor friend what he had and he showed me these.
129762376_1655448897961228_4703980983141582242_n (1).jpg

I fell in love. I sold some rings that were laying around so I could fund this beautiful gold pair. Completely off budget. That was okay, because every time I put them on, I am so in awe of them that I have no regrets.

So, if you ask me what I would do, I would tell you to work on getting a strand that makes your heart go pitter patter.

Ohh the blue pearls... Very very tricky! I my experience the smaller sizes have more intense colors, I am lucky to have a rope of 5,5-6,5mm Vietnamese akoyas that are distinctly blue with that pink flash and the color is recognizable under all lights. I wanted a bigger necklace and only found a very silverly light blueish ones, I like this color as well but you might be disappointed if you expect the pearls to look blue..

Tahitian blue is another tricky matter... looking grey under most light conditions, I get many compliments on my “grey pearls” ughhh....when under the right light I see a lovely blue color...

I have Freshadamas and natural white Hanadamas from PP. The Freshadamas are definitely more matte, and the Hanadamas are super shiny with lots of overtones. Freshadamas are very round. The more off round you get with freshwater pearls, the more metallic, shiny and colorful the pearls.

If you want the shine and overtones of akoyas, but less expensive and thicker nacre, then you want to look at metallic freshwater pearls. They are off round, but the surface texture and color is more exciting.

I agree wholeheartedly with BWeaves. That is very sound advice.

When you say "he showed you these," was it online or in person? I think it's hard to be sure online, even though I know purchases are done that way all the time, and many times at great success... but it can be hit and miss.. and lots of sending back and forth....

Back