New to Forum, Excited about Pearls!

Al Wine

Hello Everybody,

I just registered today and I am very excited about all the pearl discussions going on here. This is the best pearl forum and I would like to congratulate the administrators for their great job :)

I am somewhat new to the world of pearls. I became fascinated when my husband bought me a very beautiful necklace. I had never really thought much about pearls before. Now I am looking for ways to learn more about the industry and to become an educated consumer.

I don't know at this point if I would actually take my fascination all the way to becoming a pearl jewelry designer, retailer/wholesaler, or none of the above :-DDD There is just too much to learn and be aware of before embarking on such journeys so I am happy I found this forum!

I have a small project now to share and perhaps get helpful comments. I bought this gorgeous freshwater pearl strand/necklace, but it feels a little stiff. I am wondering if I could re-string it and add a clasp. If so, how? Any suggestions??

Thank you!View attachment 67323View attachment 67323 DSC00003.jpgDSC00010.jpg

Hi and welcome to PG!

The necklace looks like it doesn't have any knots between the pearls-- that would definitely make it stiff.

I see it's an endless strand. I count 105 pearls. Adding 104 knots would make it a little longer, about 1.25 to 1.5 inches longer.

Do you want to restring it with a clasp, which would enable you to wear it doubled (assuming it's long enough to do that)?
Or do you prefer to restring it, knotted, as an endless strand?

There are instructions for both methods in this tutorial:
[h=1]Stringing Tutorial with photos: Stringing on Serafil, Beaders Secret & Power Pro[/h]

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Be warned...pearls are such a wonderful slippery slope and we are a loving group of enablers.

Welcome, and check out the Lowly Beader's section of this forum. There are several threads on how to knot pearls.

Back