New Chinese Ripple Look A-Like Kasumi Pearls

suchi, I bought the other strand of purples. Hope they’re as pretty in person!

I really hope so. She listed 2 more strands yesterday. But i liked the first two better. I have asked her to send me a picture of the strand before shipping (she is knotting it in red thread for me). Will post the picture here once i receive it.

Red thread, I would not have thought of that. Can’t wait to see how it looks when finished.

Question: Are these considered Kasumi-like pearls? I never really been into ripples/Kasumi, but this caught my eye and I was wondering what category this goes into :).
View attachment 66521

Yes, imo, these would be considered "ripples" or kasumi-like freshwater pearls. Their nacre isn't completely smooth. I find the ripple pearls fascinating, and the color of these seems very intense.

I look forward to seeing your strand, Suchi, every one is so unique!

Abi, I’m fairly certain they’re “Kasumi-like” ripples. I think I recognise the photo from Etsy - I toyed with buying a similar strand, but looking through that vendor’s other listings, I was a doubtful about the colours shown in the photos, which seemed improbably vivid. Of course all vendors show their products in ideal lighting, so you never know for sure until you open the box...

I look forward to seeing your strand, Suchi, every one is so unique!

I will post a pic once Yunlan sends me before shipping. This is the listing picture.
Kongs1.jpg

Abi, is that strand from diypearls in etsy?

Nice oil-slick colors. Very intense. I hope they look that intense in person. You'll need to view them under different lighting conditions. I find my ripples look best in the shade in the early morning or sunset.

Abi, that photo appears to have been color enhanced. Look at the color on the blue tag. I would ask to see a photo without any filters/enhancements. I'm sure there is color on that strand, but I'm also pretty sure it won't be quite that vibrant in real life.

Sushi, beautiful strand. You have to show us photos when it arrives.

Bweaves: This is what was in details: 10-12mm baroque pearl strand,natural color,42cm(18')
This pearl necklace is very beautiful in color,

----------------------------------------------------
Pearl shape:baroque pearl
Pearl size:10-12mm
Pearl color:natural color(as the picture)
Pearl luster:high luster
Pearl body:these are a few flaw
Strand length:18'
Pearl hole size:default 0.9mm straight hole

JerseyPearl and Katbran: Thank you for making me realize! I nix on that then!

Suchi: Wow, what amazing colors! Look forward in seeing it when you receive it!

Thank you for your input about the picture, your expertise is always appreciated. I think I shall hold off for now, the strand I posted are from a different vendor I've never bought before, so I am reluctant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one of these strands and they are actually very nice irl.
Vendor photo
Screenshot_20190326-201106_Etsy.jpg
My photos
20190415_113226.jpg

Wowza!!! Those look great.

Thank you! These are from same seller that Abi asked about. I would say that they are pretty close to the light box photo. Depending on the lighting sometimes the cool purples show and sometimes the warm copper or bronze shows.

Oh, these colors are amazing! I don't own any kasumi like pearl necklaces but you all are making me want some (notice I didn't say one???)!

My experience with Kongs pearls has been mixed, but mostly positive. I have purchased white freshwater (non nucleated) metallic strand, which is very nice. I have purchased a tahitian strand which looks good when worn and nice wearable (on the smaller side) size, but the colors were hugely saturated in the vendor pics. Other than that, i had a purple strand from Kongs (again colors were enhanced in the pictures) which i took apart and made into 3 bracelets for myself and colleagues. My experience is her freshwater pearls are good (although need to keep expectations lower as compared to site pictures).

Bailey your strand is to die for!

Back