Is it Normal For White FW Pearls to Darken a Bit With Wear?

Plastic pearls will yellow. I have a double strand of Richelieu faux pearls from my grandmother. They're probably 100 years old or close to it. They are very yellow. But real pearls will yellow, too, if they are not worn for years and stored in a box.

Thanks for all the replies and helpful advice. I have washed my hands of this unhelpful vendor due to the negativity it makes me feel. I am consoling myself by wearing the lovely pearls that Wendy from Pearlescence has provided for me. They are so beautiful. My next purchase will be multicolour FW pears and I am pouring over the pics on our reputable vendor sites. :)

Wow that was a proper investigation Gemandpearlover!

Unfortunately, no coating is permanent and while some might last long - most won't. The grade of pearls you actually happen to buy is below commercial grade - it's a mixture of cultured pearls with no luster that are later covered in artificial substances (like fish scale paint) to improve the look. There are numerous solutions that can be used for this purpose, but even when using proper ones (that are used on well known commercial brands of artificial glass pearls) - the fact that you have real cultured pearl under it doesn't allow proper bond between the substances and natural imperfections create weak points that over (quick) time become places where the coating peels off. Getting natural substances trapped between the actual pearl and the artificial layer contributes to the color change.

All this said, unfortunately, some vendors call these pearls "real cultured" while in actual wearability these pearls are far below the quality of either low-grade cultured pearls without coating or artificial glass pearls. I would have started the dispute case through etsy to get your money back and wouldn't talk to this vendor any more as they seem not to care about your satisfaction. I'm sorry you had bad experience - but you surely can be calm about your new pearls from Wendy :) enjoy!

Wow that was a proper investigation Gemandpearlover!

Unfortunately, no coating is permanent and while some might last long - most won't. The grade of pearls you actually happen to buy is below commercial grade - it's a mixture of cultured pearls with no luster that are later covered in artificial substances (like fish scale paint) to improve the look. There are numerous solutions that can be used for this purpose, but even when using proper ones (that are used on well known commercial brands of artificial glass pearls) - the fact that you have real cultured pearl under it doesn't allow proper bond between the substances and natural imperfections create weak points that over (quick) time become places where the coating peels off. Getting natural substances trapped between the actual pearl and the artificial layer contributes to the color change.

All this said, unfortunately, some vendors call these pearls "real cultured" while in actual wearability these pearls are far below the quality of either low-grade cultured pearls without coating or artificial glass pearls. I would have started the dispute case through etsy to get your money back and wouldn't talk to this vendor any more as they seem not to care about your satisfaction. I'm sorry you had bad experience - but you surely can be calm about your new pearls from Wendy :) enjoy!

Oh my gosh Laguna thanks for that wonderful and detailed reply. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it and I wish everyone could read what you posted before buying pearls on Etsy or Ebay. Your advice to take on the vendor is spot on and I will consider it. I just made my first Pearl Paradise purchase a few minutes ago and am so excited. If not for this forum and members like you I would have given up on FW pearls. So thank you for the education and the support. You are wonderful.

Gemandpearlover , thank you and I'm sure your excitement will be overwhelmed with the quality of Pearl Paradise purchase!

Just as a note, I wouldn't advise against all Etsy vendors (not so sure about Ebay, Ebay is more difficult these days) - Etsy is just a platform, and there are enough honest sellers that carry good-quality pearls and decent customer care standards. I think pearlescence has an Etsy shop as well - it can be just a form of convenience to reach the customers.

So just being on Etsy doesn't make a seller bad. But while just starting and learning about pearls, for your own comfort and joy, choosing big vendors for whom customer satisfaction and quality pearls is their business and it has been so for years (pearl paradise, pearlescence, cortez pearl, Marc Harit, Amsterdam Pearls, many others) will guarantee you are getting a product worth having and long-lasting :) you can also check here on pearl-guide - I think there's been a list of reputable Etsy sellers that many members bought from and were satisfied with their purchases (and most of those vendors sell from China, so being in China also doesn't mean bad right away in terms of pearls :) ). Please don't give up on pearls and hope to see your future purchases in happier threads like "Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!" :)

Quite a few forum members have etsy shops; we are generously allowed to post the links to our online stores with our signatures.

Hi Pattye. I would never hesitate to buy from you or Wendy, or other reputable vendors who have Etsy shops. You guys are the best. :)

I was just warning newbies (like me) that just because a vendor sells on Etsy does not mean they are getting the quality that you or other reputable vendors provide. As a newbie I think I am not alone in thinking Etsy is a bit more reliable in quality than Ebay but for me it is a lesson learned.

Last edited:
Back