Metallic Edison Peal Smash for Those Who Enjoy a Good Pearl Smash

Gemandpearlover

I'm new so let me know if these type of posts are not in the spirit of this forum and I will stop posting them. The OCD in me needed to know if these metallic Edisons were worth stringing. :) I took two that I believed had thin nacre and smashed them. I am not going to lie- I have enjoyed breaking things since I was a wee kid.

According to my not so scientific methods (I compared the nacre thickness to a 1.2mm filter needle and the metrics on a wrapper of a a medical bio-occlusive dressing) the nacre is roughly .0.8 to 1.2 mm thick.

And now the picture. :)

IMG_0528 (1).jpg

The good news is that now that I am done buying learner pearls I have reached out to a recommended and respected forum member and will be buying a couple strands of metallic white FW pearls from her. So no need to smash pearls because I trust that she is great. :)

Cool! Thanks for sharing the findings of your experiment!

As far as I'm concerned this sort of post is precisely what this forum is about. :)

Interesting to see the inside of pearl, the "hollow" side. I always wondered if the inside was beautiful like the outside. Not so much, evidently. ;)

That's pretty thick nacre. Very interesting. My natural white Hanadamas only have .45 mm of nacre according to the certificate.

Thank you Pattye, Pearl Dreams, BWeaves and CricketBug.

CricketBug my pictures aren't that great but the bead looks like mother of pearl. It has a lovely rainbow play of color when held to light.

I bet the inside would be pretty if it were polished up. Even better if tiny gemstones were glued in.

This is a perfect post for pearl guide! Thank you for sharing :)

CricketBug my pictures aren't that great but the bead looks like mother of pearl. It has a lovely rainbow play of color when held to light.
I was particularly curious about the hollow part of the “shell”, although it’s interesting to note the MOP-like bead, too.

Well, the nuclei are usually made from mussel shells, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they have a mother of pearl look to them.

How cool and fun! Almost reminds me of a nut!

Gemandpearlover, thank you for this brave experiment!:)
Just a point: the nacre of this kind of nice pearls is often thick, but not metallic in all the thickness, just a few layers separated by more or less pale colour nacre.
I think these pearls are produced by farmers watching carefully the right moment to harvest, especially about water temperature, or/and a chemical factor (?).
Then, pearls show a metallic surface of thin conchyoline effect as the last layer mussel has made before harvesting.

Last edited:
Gemandpearlover, thank you for this brave experiment!:)
Just a point: the nacre of this kind of nice pearls is often thick, but not metallic in all the thickness, just a few layers separated by more or less pale colour nacre.
I think these pearls are produced by farmers watching carefully the right moment to harvest, especially about water temperature, or/and a chemical factor (?).
Then, pearls show a metallic surface of thin conchyoline effect as the last layer mussel has made before harvesting.

Yes- the thin metallic nacre is exactly what I noticed on the pearls that I replaced. I at first thought all the nacre was very thin and I was seeing the bead because of missing nacre on those pearls. But like you explained- it was the metallic nacre that was thin. Might be pretty pearls today and not so pretty pearls in the future.

Maybe you are right, Gemandpearlover, it's truly a question of day to harvest.
I don't know how quickly the mussel produces conchyoline on its pearl, but perhaps even less than one day for such a thin layer to do this special enamel effect.
More conchyoline would turn the pearl in strange tones of lavender/brown yellow, like many freshwater flameballs sold now.

Back