Advice on normal imperfections on top AAA pearls

MattMitchell

Hi,

I've been reviewing the forum and using it to guide my recent purchase of some "top AAA" pearl earrings from one of the recommended vendors (huge thanks to the community!). The sales process was excellent and the staff seem really friendly.

However, the pearl earrings have now arrived and they have a number of blemishes, which is I understand normal for freshwater pearls. However, it's very obvious and pronounced on one of the pearls, and I'd like to seek some advice from the community on whether this is typical for this quality of pearl, especially for earrings?

On one pearl there are some pinprick dimples over it which is fine, but then there is a rather large and obvious dimple/dent/inclusion. On the other there are some pinprick dimples and then a chalky mark / scratch and minor dimple. The second seems reasonable enough from what I understand, but is the first with its obvious bump typical?

A couple of pictures for reference:

pearl3.jpg

pearl1.jpg

Pearl2.jpg

I've reached out to the vendor for some advice, who said that some level of blemish is unavoidable but they'd check with the team. They haven't yet got back to me, so I'll have to follow up again. Sadly if I need to exchange I'm looking at $135 of shipping expenses overall and a late anniversary present...

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Matt

Last edited:
Hi MattMitchell,

As there is no standardized grading system for pearls, you should look at the grading criteria of the vendor you bought the pearls from-- to see how that specific vendor describes their AAA freshwaters.

That said, I would expect better for AAA freshwater pearls. It is possible an error was made when your order was filled. If so, I would think a reputable vendor would pay for return shipping. I urge you to follow through with the vendor; send them photos if you have not already done so.

It's disappointing that your anniversary present will be late, of course.

Hi MattMitchell,

As there is no standardized grading system for pearls, you should look at the grading criteria of the vendor you bought the pearls from-- to see how that specific vendor describes their AAA freshwaters.

That said, I would expect better for AAA freshwater pearls. It is possible an error was made when your order was filled. If so, I would think a reputable vendor would pay for return shipping. I urge you to follow through with the vendor; send them photos if you have not already done so.

It's disappointing that your anniversary present will be late, of course.

Hi Pearl Dreams,

Thanks so much for the quick response :)

I want to be careful not to reveal the vendor, who I believe are acting in good faith trying to help me out right now, but from what I understand on these forums they are meant to be one of the top grading standards.

At first contact they indicated perfections of this nature were normal, but perhaps I described it poorly, and given your feedback I'll take your advice and send the photos through to the vendor and see how I go.

Will follow up with the outcome.

Thanks again,
Matt

The divot /indentation in particular seems unsightly to me. If it were further back toward the finding I might not mind it, but not in that location. JMO.

$45 USD / $60 AUD was the original FedEx cost to Australia (to have express delivery in time for the anniversary, otherwise it would have been $25 USD). I multiplied that by 3 (i.e. original cost, return, second shipping) as a baseline when I still thought I might be able to get a replacement in time.

You're both correct that this is higher than it needs to be now that the date will be missed.

Return cost to the US via AusPost (6 business days) looks to be ~$25 AUD uninsured, or ~$50 if insured. The vendor has also now got back to me and indicated that they will pay the next shipping charge for free if they agree that the pearls have an imperfection that is worse than expected, so that will be excellent if they do, and not too much additional expense overall. Thankfully I have a very understanding wife :)

Thanks for the feedback, and I'll post back with an update once it's all sorted.

Last edited:
If you didn't have to pay the import tax, it may be worth returning them to the US and get a replacement.
In my case, when I purchase jewelry/gemstones from the US I'll have to pay import tax prior to receiving the package and see the jewelry piece I ordered myself. If I'm not happy with it, I may be able to return it but there's no way for me to get my import tax refunded by the state after the return. That's why I'm trying hard to purchase only from local vendors as much as I could, and be very selective when it comes to buying things from abroad like US. I do make exceptions once in a while and purchase special and unique items from abroad, things that are not easily available in Europe.

I just noticed that I wrote 20$ ..its a bit higher than that for regular post. Your explanation of the costs makes more sense to me now. Certainly Fed Ex from Australia is ridiculous .. it's like 120$ without insurance.
Fortunately there would be no duty at the moment for purchases under 1000$ .

I think that anyone would appreciate the effort and thought that you put into your anniversary present. Not your fault that the pearls were not as you wished. I'm sure they will find a perfect pair for you. Ask for photos of any imperfections before they are sent.

Eric, we in Belgium have to pay import tax and/or administration cost for all things coming from the USA, that I know from experience. For jewelry the customs charges 21% import tax (of the price of the item) plus about
€30 administration fees. Once I bought a beading kit from the US, I was charged €15 for inspection fee.

Wow, if 21% import tax don't account VAT (20% in France, that we must pay for any amount), that's worse than us! We have not to pay fees, but 2.5% custom tax above 150 euros purchase's price, so 22.5% with VAT... And an artist as me can't recover VAT:(
I didn't know you are in Belgium, thus you speak frensh, don't you?:)

Last edited:
Yes, importing into the EU is hugely expensive in terms of VAT and also duty, plus the shipping company adds in their brokerage fees.
Of course, once in the EU goods can move around and across borders without any more taxes.

Last edited:
Pearls are not produced in America either. I do not see the point of what you are saying.
Many times the prices vary because there is another layer of wholesale - every layer will roughly double the price.
Look for retailers who go as high in the supply chain as possible.
What is VAT in France and is there another tax on precious metals? Or the French company is some sort of subsidiary which is having to 'buy from the parent company.
I have findings made especially for me in the UK and I can charge much less for them than a German company operating a subsidiary charges for them, even when they are made in exactly the same factory in the UK. depends also on what the company thinks is a reasonable price

I wanted to tell that we must pay so much to use many foreign raws materials, that it's not encouraging to do it in Europe.
Gold VAT amount is 20% and frensh gold sellers must pay 10% as additional tax, but I don't know if it's available for jewellers.
About my bails, I buy them in UK, and their package comes from German (where they are also more expensive).:confused:

All the tax and duty kicks in in the UK at £18
I have no idea where all the money goes (well I do but that is getting into politics)

Don't have much choice about paying because all my materials are non-UK (cloggau gold by the way, if you ever see it advertised as welsh gold..there is about one molecule of welsh gold per ring. It's homeopathic welsh gold)

We have also gold, in Frensh Guyana, but I don't believe that it's really more profitable than your welsh gold! Anyway, to work gold, in France, is to enter in a maze of rules, with a cash drawer to fill at each corner...
As I have still said, I think that it's so more a shame, that artists can't report any frees, VAT, taxes, on that we buy to work. It means, at last, that we are paying taxes on taxes!

Last edited:
Back