I need help, too!!!

M

mikediamond

I'm buy a pearl strand for my girlfriend.

Would you recommend:

18" Cultured Freshwater Pearl Strand (9-10 mm)
$125.99

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=171298&CategoryID=21244&LinkType=EverGreen

or

14k Gold Cultured Freshwater Pearl 3-Piece Set
Classic elegance with an uptown twist. This set includes: necklace (17-3/4" - 18"), bracelet (7-1/4" - 7-1/2") and earrings (7.5mm - 8mm).
$108.99

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=126454&CategoryID=21244

Would a girl want 9-10mm or 7.5-8mm?

Or would a girl rather receive a set?

Any other recommendations?

What a girl wants!

What a girl wants!

I think it would depend on the age of the woman/girl. Most women would prefer a necklace and earrings. If the woman/girl is under 50, she would probably like earrings that dangle with 2 pearls. Just a thought:)

so would a 7.5-8mm SET be bogus?

for the same price, i can get a 9-10mm (necklace only).

should i just stick with the 9-10 necklace?

I would buy from a vendor on this site. I think they would have better value for the buck.

For the quality of pearl you are going to find at Macy's at those prices, you should really try eBay. You will get a better deal. Macy's is high retail, so you should be able to pick up the same strands on eBay for $30-$40.

litaloo11 said:
I think it would depend on the age of the woman/girl. Most women would prefer a necklace and earrings. If the woman/girl is under 50, she would probably like earrings that dangle with 2 pearls. Just a thought:)

I am way unbder 50 and LOVE BOTH my studs and dangles!!!!!! Size Depends on the Woman I look awlful in biger ones. IMO they look fake on me sometimes duty requires me to wear the bigger ones but I am uncomfortable in them... I do not tend to wear anything bigger than a 9 mm if I can help it.

As for 7 mm set NO not fake just smaller.. there is a price jump so you will pay more, sometimes lots more for less a necklace verus a set...

How would she ware them? daily, Opera, Once in a while? what does she like? Is she a jeans and t-shirt gal or does she look fantastic 24/7? look at her existing jewelry does she like exact matching sets? same stone cut size etc.... or does she have pieces that all have the same gemstone in them??? It really does depend on the woman.

I agree with Zeide I have seen lots of Macys jewelry (at Macy's) and not impressed.. you are paying for naem not quality aas with most big name stores..... Chek out the vendors here.. is also a good Idea.. but honestly do you know she even likes pearls? Some women hate pearls..

Good Luck!

I'd say you'd be wasting your money shopping with Macy's for gemstones, especially pearls. Department stores are good for things like toasters and microwaves but I've never seen good quality pearls.

If you shop with a reputable pearl dealer then it is a pretty safe bet that no matter what you choose it will be a good value and of good quality. The best in the biz simply don't put their name to low quality goods - Macy's isn't so choosy ;)

I need help too!!!!

I need help too!!!!

jshepherd said:
For the quality of pearl you are going to find at Macy's at those prices, you should really try eBay. You will get a better deal. Macy's is high retail, so you should be able to pick up the same strands on eBay for $30-$40.

Thank heavens my hubby wouldn't dare buy me a piece of jewelry.

MikeDiamond... just go over to PearlParadise.com and buy your lady a quality FW pearl necklace. Seriously, if she knows pearls and you hand her the box with a department store name on it (regardless of however big and well-known that store is), she will say thanks and in all likelihood will not appreciate it. (I doubt she will tell you).

The prices are not outrageous and you are assured of quality and top presentation.

Good Luck.

jewel457 said:
MikeDiamond... just go over to PearlParadise.com and buy your lady a quality FW pearl necklace. Seriously, if she knows pearls and you hand her the box with a department store name on it (regardless of however big and well-known that store is), she will say thanks and in all likelihood will not appreciate it. (I doubt she will tell you).
I second that. I bought a friend of mine a pearl set for graduation and she was thrilled with it. My mother liked them so much she got a set for herself. The fw pearls from Pearlparadise were way, way better than the ones I had seen elsewhere, both at department stores and at jewelry stores.

My friend is quite petite (4'11"), so I got the smaller size fw that they carry, and Kirsten (the VP) was kind enough to have the necklace custom-strung a bit shorter than normal. It was... perfect!

7-8 mm should be fine for pretty much any average-size girl, I would think, unless she has a strong preference for chunkier jewelry. If she is extremely tall or short, then you may want to go larger or smaller, respectively. The problem I faced was that a larger size would have made it look like the pearls were wearing her. Small pearls on a tall person, on the other hand, will simply disappear.

Something like this
http://www.pearlparadise.com/detail.aspx?ID=58
should be just fine. The price is a bit steeper than the Macy's set, but I can pretty much guarantee you that it'll be more than worth it. Plus they offer a 90-day return policy.

One other thing that isn't mentioned too often (and, frankly, most guys would never think about - I know cuz I didn't) is that, though the main color of the pearls may be white, there are different overtones, or secondary colors, that affect the look of the pearl, and certain overtones tend to go better with certain skin tones. The difference isn't huge when you look at the pearls by themselves, but when placed against the skin, some pearls really "pop" while others kind of fade. I would suggest calling Pearlparadise and seeking their advice on which overtone would go best with her skin tone.

Hope this helps.

Don't buy retail

Don't buy retail

I agree with mikehrz. usually the 7-8 mm size is a good size for any woman (even petite -- i'm 5'3") and its a size that is substantive w/o being chunky or too small -- makes a good impact across the room w/o being over the top or overpowering.

Personally when I get sets I don't like bracelets -- mainly because I find it gets in the way of work/life (esp with typing) and I'm afraid of damaging them. but then again I'm not a big bracelet fan.

As for macy's, it is really not worth it to spend that much money on retail. I've ordered from PearlParadise before and their pearls are very beautiful and customer service is great.

I have a pearl necklace that I purchased from macy's couple of years ago and they don't look nice. The main problem is that (1) the shape is going to be peanut shape with nubby growth rings around the pearls or large dimples and (2) there is almost no lustre. top of the line pearls will have a "mirror like" lustre -- meaning when you hold the pearl up to your face you will see your head's outline reflection... my PearlParadise pieces all exhibit this characteristic.

If you want to purchase from macy's or other retail stores my best advice to you will be to go in person and look at the pearls in the store -- the pictures on the internet look nothing like the real thing (which macy's confirms: "Photo may have been enlarged and/or enhanced." )

I will post up pics of my macy's strand and my PP earrings later today (after work) so you can see what I mean.

Hope this helps.

Lochi.

wow, you guys have been great help.

i think i'll order from pearl paradise.

and just for the heck of it, i'll go to macy's and check out their $125 pearl strand, and i'll report back to you.

Hi Kheri
I just went to your website to look at the pearls. What do yu mean by AAA+? I am especially confused by your tahitian AAA+ for $148?

Last edited:
I would also add that quality does not come with the price. This is not even true in the retail world. Quality comes from education and sourcing. Retail prices are always high, but how often do you find pearls in any retail jewelry store that are even marginally nice?

On the Web that golden rule is false.

One thing to look for when purchasing online is something that is missing from the pearls shown on Macy's website - grading. Generally speaking, if you go to a website looking for pearls and they do not tell you what the grade of the pearl is, it will be a low quality pearl.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you will almost never find a higher quality Freshwater pearl from someone other than those who deal in pearls. Department stores are good for clothing, some accessories (like belts and ties and scarves) and housewares. If I want tools I go to a hardware store. If I want lawnmower I go to an outdoor equipment store. If you want pearls, you should go to a pearl store.

Pearls_by_Angela_Carol said:
Generally speaking, if you go to a website looking for pearls and they do not tell you what the grade of the pearl is, it will be a low quality pearl.

... and what they, who-knows what they're saying (with the grades).
There was a nice thread about this: HERE.

Clearly, some shops know what they are saying, some don't and some know and have no interest to tell you :mad: Since there's no knowing which is what without independent grading (for example)... But hey, what else is new! ;)

For better or worse, there isn't any independent grading for pearls (gemology labs do at most identification, and no one else took this task up just yet). IMO, a forum like this that allows outsiders' opinions freely is a pretty good barometer at least for pear sellers and their in-store grading gains weight too. Sure I can't check this, but this reasoning is one excuse I find myself for having fun posting that much on jewelry-related websites (they do some good!).

My 2c

Diamond equivalent to PearlParadise.com

Diamond equivalent to PearlParadise.com

I used PearlParadise.com to purchase these pearls.

Now, I'm looking for the Diamond equivalent...

Does anybody know a good/cheap/quality place to purchase diamonds?

Back