Everyday Pearl Ring- tough

eclecticgrl

I am looking to get an everyday pearl ring that is going to take lots of "abuse". I am currently a CNA/nursing student, so I use lots of hand sanitizer, soap, etc..

I realize this ring will probably have to be replaced over time, but I really just want something that I can look down at every day and smile. What would you recommend for toughness? Freshwater? Possibly keshi?

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend you not get a pearl ring, to be honest.

Pearls can be eaten away by abrasion from the constant washing of hands several times a day, and eaten away by acids. Just getting some salad vinegar on your hand and not rinsing it off right away can eat through nacre. I have no idea what hand sanitizer (which I assume is alcohol based) would do to a pearl if it was subjected to it several times a day.

Once a pearl is starting to be lose it's surface due to all the washing and sanitizers, it may not look very nice. It may not make you smile.

I would recommend a non-bead nucleated freshwater pearl. It is nacre all the way through (although lower layers may not be a pretty as the original surface layer). And it is the most inexpensive pearl, so you are not out a lot of money if it doesn't last as long as you'd like it to last.

What about a bracelet? It will be far enough away from your hand that it won't get the constant washing and hand sanitizer on it. But you can still look at it. If you get one strung on elastic, you can even push it up your arm so it's out of the way when you wash and sanitize your hands.

Consider also that a pearl - or any gemstone setting - is a potential contamination risk. Most nurses I know don't wear anything except a plain band. Also important that you can dry the skin under the ring otherwise you will soon have skin problems.
Plus, unless you are going to have a very small pearl you are going to have problems putting gloves on and taking off without tearing them - another contamination risk

I would say if you really want a pearl ring, maybe go for a band with embedded tiny freshwater pearls. You would still have your pearl ring but probably wouldn't take a beating as much as one main pearl on a band would.

I'm also onboard for the bracelet idea. you'll get to look at more pearls that way ;)

Good luck on your studies!

What type of pearl colors are you interested in?

Consider also that a pearl - or any gemstone setting - is a potential contamination risk. Most nurses I know don't wear anything except a plain band. Also important that you can dry the skin under the ring otherwise you will soon have skin problems.
Plus, unless you are going to have a very small pearl you are going to have problems putting gloves on and taking off without tearing them - another contamination risk

I agree 100% with this. Get a pearl ring by all means, but wear it when you are not at work. Then toughness won't be such an issue, either.

Equally unsafe from a contamination point of view. I would not want a nurse wearing any pearls anywhere near me
Or doctor

Thanks for all of the replies. It has given me a lot to think about. I may just stick with my small gemstone ring for work.

Yes, I do plan on buying a nice ring or bracelet for outside of work. Possibly a Christmas gift to myself ;) I'm leaning towards the beautiful Kasumi pearls at Kojima.

Thanks for all of the replies. It has given me a lot to think about. I may just stick with my small gemstone ring for work.

Yes, I do plan on buying a nice ring or bracelet for outside of work. Possibly a Christmas gift to myself ;) I'm leaning towards the beautiful Kasumi pearls at Kojima.

Ooooo, Kasumi, Kojima, good choice!!!

One other idea, not necessarily for work every day, but: one nice BIG pearl pendant worn on a LONG chain is a fun thing to wear, easily removed if needed, and you get to see it too!

Most hospitals have dress codes that are pretty strict about jewelry (and nail polish). Most do not let you wear any jewelry (except small stud earrings) or nail polish due to contamination concerns. So buy a ring for outside of work, or maybe a pair of small stud earrings.

When I was a nursing student, jewelry of any kind except a watch was not allowed. Rings, in particular, could scratch a patient.

I'd go with cmd's suggestion of getting pearl earrings instead of a ring. That way, you get to wear them off duty or while in lectures, check your reflection in the mirror or some glass window, and smile back! I work with my hands all the time, so no bracelets and rings for me save for my wedding ring. I can only imagine the dress code and jewelry restrictions in hospitals.

I agree that stud earrings would be a much better bet. And if there are mirrors above the sinks, you'll get a beautiful look each time you wash your hands. Nursing is no place for a pearl ring or bracelet.

If I were wearing my pearls, I'd clutch them! The thought of wearing a pearl ring and not taking it off every time I got near any sort of abrasive or corrosive substance fills me with more horror than is probably appropriate. :eek:

Back