Three strand freshwater - pearl sizes

Solitude

Hi there

I am new here and I know very little about pearls. I am planning to order a three strand fresh water pearl necklace. It will be my first pearl jewellery. The other day, I went to a jeweller and they showed my a few strands:

Strand 1: 8-10mm
Strand 2: 10-11mm
Strand 3: 11-13mm
Strand 4: 12-15mm

I have two options: using strand 1, 2 and 3 or 2,3 and 4. I am not sure about the look since the strand with the largest pearls didn't look good in the 'group', if you know what I mean. The graduated look was only obvious on the strand with the largest pearls. Sorry, I don't know how to explain this.

I guess my question was what mm difference would look nice for a three strand necklace?

Would appreciate if someone could advise me on this.

Thank you.

Wow those are massive pearls for a triple! Do you have any photos?

All those strands are so huge, I'd only do a single of any of those strands myself. Those pearls are going to be heavy. My neck has a weight limit.

I would look into using strand 1 as the largest one and then ask the jeweler to pick out two smaller strands to go with that. It can definitely get too heavy if you use large pearls, bigger freshwaters weigh quite a lot

Thank you for replying.

hanadama - no photos yet, sorry. Yes, they are massive!

BWeaves - I tried the 12-15mm on its own and it looked nice. The jeweller suggested me to get a single strand since they are big pearls. Also, they said I'd wear it more often than a triple. Never thought pearls would be heavy on the neck!

raggdoll - using strand 1 (8-10mm) as the largest is a good idea I will ask this today.

Right, today I am going to the jeweller again and will ask for smaller pearls for a triple strand. I will take some photos too and report back.

Solitude, Welcome to P-G. I agree with the others, a 3 strand as invisioned will be heavy! However, some of the ladies here have individual strands, each with their own clasp, which can be layered nicely for a 2 strand look. You might consider this an option.

Back