Blueish lavender pearls

SpookyAL

https://www.etsy.com/listing/524485371/very-fine-natural-bluish-lavender-color

Hello new friends. Im a lurker here usually but im so into pearls and this forum i decided to pose this to the hive mind. I found this strand on etsy and want to know if the price is good bad or otherwise for these pearls. Im obsessed with blueish lavender pearls. Just ask the kind and patient Erin from Pearl Paradise. Anyhoo you responses are welcome and aeaited. Annalisa

The pearls you linked don't look dyed, for what it's worth. And the seller accepts returns, in case you find they are not quite right for you.
But that isn't what you asked.

This isn't a color of pearl I shop for, so I'm probably not the one to ask. I think there are more blue/purple pearls out there than there used to be, but they are still not abundant. What does your own research show you? Can you find a better deal on something similar? Are you willing to wait and keep looking? Or are you in love with that particular strand?

When I've found pearls I loved, I just went ahead and bought them. And I never regretted it afterward, nor second-guessed the price. A thing is ultimately worth whatever you are willing to pay, assuming you don't plan to resell it.

If I'm ambivalent, I wait and keep looking.

The pearls you linked don't look dyed, for what it's worth. And the seller accepts returns, in case you find they are not quite right for you.
But that isn't what you asked.

This isn't a color of pearl I shop for, so I'm probably not the one to ask. I think there are more blue/purple pearls out there than there used to be, but they are still not abundant. What does your own research show you? Can you find a better deal on something similar? Are you willing to wait and keep looking? Or are you in love with that particular strand?

When I've found pearls I loved, I just went ahead and bought them. And I never regretted it afterward, nor second-guessed the price. A thing is ultimately worth whatever you are willing to pay, assuming you don't plan to resell it.

If I'm ambivalent, I wait and keep looking.

Thank you for responding. And really good advice ..it's not like I have a few thousand hanging around but she does do layaway. Hmm more to think on..thank you

il_570xN.1179597454_no4h.jpg il_570xN.1226818161_7c37.jpg il_570xN.1226818165_8r1u.jpgil_570xN.1226818167_rjll.jpg

Sorry for the link before here are the pictures

oh and just for fun...here is my lavender freshadama 7.5-8.0mm from Pearl Paradise and my large (12-16mm) necklace that my mom bought for me on Maui. IMG_0405.jpg IMG_0273 2.jpg IMG_0272.jpg IMG_0329.jpg

Oh great idea thank you ..and thank you for the comment about my pearls..im a newbie but im learning

I think they are not dyed and they look quite nice however looking at all the store prices - pretty steep. But I think it says they run a jewellery store in Boston so maybe that accounts for the B&M prices. ( to me the prices seem high .. though I'm only familiar with the pricing of Freshwater/SS/Tahtians).

If you want these you could always send an email and make an offer...they dont have many sales for being on ETSY for a couple of years...maybe they would consider less.

Last edited:
Annalisa, The store owner has a wide variety of gems and pearls, including some pretty awesome natural abalone pearls, plus her Graduate Gemologist degree. So I would trust that her description of the pearls is accurate. That is a rare color and I wouldn't say she is out of line on her price.

Pattye, Thank you for your comment. I have another question for you. Do you feel the price is not out of line for retail or for wholesale? I'm going to keep looking and I'm just trying to see what prices I should be looking at for a rare color like this bluish/lavender in larger size pearls. that are round and have excellent luster/orient. (Those are my ideal) in wholesale prices. I have a friend going to china soon and I want to arm him with some info for me.

Well, I'd call it more of a retail price, but not a high retail price. It's difficult to compare strands and evaluate without seeing in person. Rounds are always going to be significantly more expensive than near round or off round.

Does your friend know anything about pearls? Would he be able to send you photos to see before purchase? And would they be returnable?

You have lovely necklaces, and yes, you do go for purple!

So good to know, thank you. Yes, my friend has done this before for me and he shares pictures and such. He goes with a friend of his who is a flight attendant. So he gets to travel fairly often. Honestly I am eyeing Pearl Paradises freshadama in their largest size but that will take some time to save up for..lol a girl can dream..lol I was just so surprised to see a whole strand of blue-lavender in this etsy shop that I wanted to turn to the experts here.

I'm a bit leery of pearl vendors I haven't heard of before and also, color is tricky and may look somewhat different in person. However, I think it looks like a lovely strand at a good price. Please post pics of whatever you get!

I will thank you all for your help. anymore thoughts are, of course, greatly appreciated.

hmm Katbran, i may try this just to see what she says.

I figure there is nothing to lose.. a nice polite note with an offer that is reasonable shouldn't offend anyone. Others seem to find her prices ok ..and again I have no idea on most of those items . It's easy to forget that some vendors are buying from people who are wholesaling from higher up the food chain and therefore the costs might be dramatically higher. If the colour appeals you could try them and see what you think-you have a strand of Freshadama to compare them to after all.

The pearls look very pretty in the photos, but I second the inquiry for more pictures in different lighting conditions. You can also ask other pearl vendors if they have something comparable and see what their prices are for something similar. As far as price, I"m not sure since I don't know much about freshwater pearls or this color. Good luck!

Katbran and Pearl Dreams, can you provide some clues about how you tell dyed vs. natural color pearls, from the photos?

Thanks so much
Linda

Linda, I was just looking at the strand as a whole and seeing slightly different colors. I would expect them all to be the same color/tone/shade if they were dyed.

Back