Opinions on size for freshadama pearls- 7.5-8.0 mm vs 8.5-9.5 mm?

vintagelover

Just ordered a PP Freshadama necklace and earrings in rose overtone in 7.5-8.0 mm for the V-day sale. Now I am thinking I should have gone a little larger, at 8.5-9.0 mm. I am fairly petite- 5'4" and 108 lbs, age mid-twenties. Any opinions on best size? Thanks so much!:)

Hi vintagelover and welcome to Pearl-Guide.

There is a significant price jump once you go over 8.0mm, but if you can afford the larger size, I would go for it. The larger strand will be about 44% larger.

Have a look at this thread for why just a small increase in diameter makes such a large difference isn size:

The fact is, most of us seem to want larger pearls as we get older.

Hi Vintagelover! How exciting to await your new necklace :) Either size should look lovely on you. When you wear jewelry, what styles do you prefer? Do you favor a bold, larger impact in color and/or size, or do you favor a petite, subtle accent in jewelry? Clothing can be part of this thought too ... do you need something bolder to stand up to prints and bright, dramatic colors, or do you mostly wear more subtle styles? Many ladies find as they grow older, they favor a bit bolder look, but you have a long way to go to get there yet :) The size you've ordered is very classic; you really can't go wrong with either of these sizes. Since you are already thinking you "should have gone a little larger", that's to me a clue :) Why not contact Pearl Paradise by phone or the online Chat feature, and ask to see a photo of both sizes together for comparison? You can also use the Search button on the top right corner of this page and do a search for pearl size comparisons; there are some excellent threads on the forum showing size comparisons in great detail. Happy Pearl Shopping!

P.S. Pearl Dreams response crossed with mine; she has great advice, PLUS a link to one of the very helpful threads on pearl sizes!

With the sale on for such a short time, waiting for a comparative photo could result in missing the chance to get the strand at a sale price.
Just a thought....

Thanks everyone! Still learning how to use this board. =)

CathyKeshi, I normally go for classic understated jewelry, and neutral clothing colors like black, beige, ivory. I absolutely love pearls but I can't help but feel wearing larger pearls in the 8-9mm range feel like its wearing me, not the other way around! However I've seen so many beautiful larger pearls on the boards here that look stunning on others, it makes me think its just in my own head that its too big. Ive also heard of the "pearl shrinkage" theory, hehe. Thanks for the great tips!

Pearl Dreams, I definitely am looking in a pair that will carry me through life! Although I will certainly be adding more pearls to my collection in the future. Thanks for the link about pearl sizing!

I was actually debating ordering the larger strand and then sending back the one I wasn't totally in love with. I am frantically biting my nails this very moment!

Pearl Dreams, do you have any overtone preference? I ordered a rose overtone, but now thinking I should order the silver rose in the larger size as well for comparison. Decisions, decisions...

I think it depends on your skin tone. I bought silver rose but It blends into my skin tone too much, doesn't pop. My daughter's skin is quite a bit more fair and the color looks good on her.

Here is the photo (on me):
Freshadama pearls indoors near open door.jpg

I prefer a cooler white nowadays (like my SSP).

Oh wow, that's a beautiful necklace! I like the size and color. My skin tone is quite fair as well. Is that the 8.5.-9.0 mm?

These pictures were taken two years ago. I talked my then 26-year old DIL-to-be into the larger 8.5-9.5mm freshadama necklace after she was thinking of getting the smaller 7.5-8.5mm. These were my wedding gift to her. I don't think these look too big at all. Being freshadama, she will be able to wear them for years to come. (BTW, the entire set of freshies was beautifully matched by Hisano to a sample of her wedding dress. I added a set of studs, because she is an elementary school teacher and I knew the studs would work better than the dangles around her students.)

Pearls2_9369.JPG

Wedding_9263.jpg

No, it's 7-8mm (not 7.5-8mm). In 2007 when I bought them they were being sold in a 1mm range.

Here's an earlier photo of the same strand before I changed the clasp and restrung it about 1" shorter.

Freshadama necklace.jpg

Another option is to keep the strand you have now and add another strand of the same size so it is a rope. I find myself reaching for ropes more than 18" lengths and have slowly restringing my necklaces to ropes. It really is all about what you like and what you'd wear. Whichever you choose, I am sure you will love it!

Vintagelover, Pearl Dreams is right about the sale of course; her advice is sage. Red is also someone who's advice I treasure; just look at her radiant (and lucky) daughter-in-law! I try desperately to keep returns to a minimum, however, I can tell you from much experience that PP always wants us to LOVE our pearls ... hence the generous returns policies as we can't "go to the store and look". If you have the slightest doubt, you could indeed order both and return one. Another thing you could do is go to a local store over the weekend, and try on pearls or any beads in a variety of sizes to get a better feel for what you will be most happy with; this of course doesn't take into account the sales ending ... All in all a delightful dilemma to have.

Oh my, so many stunning pictures of pearls! Thanks for sharing the pics of your pearls and DIL, they are absolutely beautiful! And I agree, the size and color is perfect for her.

I totally agree, CathyKeshi! And I too really hate returning, I can't help but feel guilty...but I just don't want to regret my purchase! I am also a horrible perfectionist, I'm not really into astrology but I am a Virgo after all.... =)

Definitely get both and return one. If you are not used to pearls then it's the only way you'll know what the different sizes look like on you. Personally I would go for the bigger size. I've reached the point where I think anything less than 10mm is small... lol Don't worry about returning it .. if you do it quickly then it's a very fair thing to do.

@vintage lover, just my opinion of course but if it were me and I could afford it, I'd definitely upgrade to the 8.5-9.5mm pearls. It seems the white, round 7-8mm (or thereabouts) strand is the first one everyone typically gets- then soon no longer wears.

But I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they regret their 8-9 or 9-10mm (or thereabouts) strand because it is too large on them, once they wear them for any time at all. Those are not huge pearls at all, even though they may seem large (for a very short time only, in my opinion) when you are not used to wearing pearls. But if you're like most, you'll never be sorry you got the larger pearls and they won't end up forgotten at the back of the jewelry box, either.

Either way, please let us know what you do and best wishes!

Back