Opinions on size for freshadama pearls- 7.5-8.0 mm vs 8.5-9.5 mm?

Okay so after much deliberation and anxious nail-biting I pulled the trigger on the 8.5-9.0 mm freshadama necklace and earrings! Can't wait for everything to arrive...will update when it comes! Thanks all for your help and warm welcome. =)

Thanks everyone! Still learning how to use this board. =)

CathyKeshi, I normally go for classic understated jewelry, and neutral clothing colors like black, beige, ivory. I absolutely love pearls but I can't help but feel wearing larger pearls in the 8-9mm range feel like its wearing me, not the other way around!

Vintage lover, I think we have the same taste! I'm in my late twenties, I mostly wear black, grey, white and navy and I find the larger pearl strands too over the top for me!

My 6-8mm Tahitians are perfection, I love the size. I also have a rope of 7.5mm round metallics and the size is great. My largest strand is an 18" strand of 8-10mm oval Tahitians. I just can't do it. I really feel that they are too big on me but I'm totally up for wearing them in a rope with some smaller pearls.

That's just me though. Most ladies here do prefer the larger pearls. Regardless, I don't think 8.5mm is too big!

Good luck with the decision! Please share photos when they arrive!

Hanadama, yes I think we definitely do have similar taste! Thanks for sharing some of your favorite pearls! I will definitely share photos when they arrive.

I have a lot of 7.5 - 8 mm pearls in both akoya, Hanadama, and Freshadama. I love that size pearl. Big enough, but not too big. The classic size. When I went a mm up in size, the pearls almost double in weight, and that weight is noticeable. So keep in mind if you want these to be easy to wear, or heavy and make a statement.

You can always order more than you want, just to see them in person and then send back what you don't want to keep.

It also depends on length and number of necklaces too. Personally, I like larger pearls for short strands but smaller pearls for longer strands. And my style is pretty simple so I only wear one necklace at a time. I guess personal preference trumps all else. :)

Worst case scenario, I end up keeping both! :p For the 8.5-9.0 mm strand, I ordered a silver rose overtone, and for the 7.5-8.0 mm, I ordered a rose overtone. Both in 16", though I have to agree I also like the look of a longer strand for smaller pearls. Perhaps if I decided to keep both, I could add an inch or two to the smaller pearls? Hehe...though it is pricey to keep both! But tempting if I like both of them...

I'm excited to see your pictures and hear your impressions of these two strands, vintagelover! Good luck!

Hello all! Just wanted to update you on the pearls..sorry to take so long! Unfortunately no pics yet...I received both strands, both beautiful in their own way! I decided I couldn't just pick one! Heh...I thought the 7.5-8.0 mm was perfect for everyday, but I decided I would prefer it in a longer length! They were 16". I do think I prefer smaller pearls in a longer strand, and larger pearls shorter! I decided to have it sent back to add 2 inches. The 8.5-9.0 mm pearls were absolutely stunning, perfect size and length (16"), so thanks for the wonderful recommendations! However, there was one pearl with a VERY noticeable dent in it, so I had it sent back to replace the pearl. Will really try to take some good pics when they both arrive again! Sorry for the delays! Thanks again for all your help!! ;)

Okay I will post some pictures I have anyway! I wasn't happy with how they came out..sorry I don't own a good phone or camera! Also not sure on what I'm doing in posting pictures..hopefully they come out okay!

7.5-8.0 mm (rose overtone)
7mm2.jpg

8.5-9.0 mm (silver rose overtone)
9mm2.jpg

Thanks for the photos! Just an FYI, the best background for photographing or examining pearls is white-- even plain paper towels are fine. A dark background (like the boxes pearls come in) just swallows up the luster.

I think there may be a bit of distortion due to the camera as well, which is making the pearls look more eggy / less round than they are, am I right?

All in all they look very pretty.

Its funny looking at the pics now so large I really notice that certain pearls are off-round...but I never even noticed when I tried them on! Except for the one pearl in 8.5-9.0 mm strand...

They are probably not that off-round in person. The camera can distort.
But it's true that pearls that are a little off-round look rounder when worn on the neck.

Hmm I am a bit worried now I got a bad batch! Lol...but I swear I keep looking at it in person and they mostly look round! It must be an illusion of the eye. But I totally see the off-roundness in the pics.

Don't look at the pictures. Lay them flat on a table and look at them there with your eyes.
They are not going to be 100% round-- there is no bead inside. But if they look round on the neck, isn't that what matters?

Just wanted to show a few neck shots as well! Sorry for huge pics...
7.5-8.0 mm 16" rose
freshadama 7.5 mm.jpg

8.5-9.0 mm 16" silver rose
freshadama 8.5mm.jpg

Back