Fun stuff on the way!

Sea Urchin

And by "fun" I mean "cheap" haha. (So far, that is).

I decided to try out Wen pearls and ordered a white fireball pearl and a bunch of those wildly colorful metallic bead nucleated pearls. Everything was on sale and cost so little that it might not turn out to be anything I want to use, though. We shall see!

I've decided my pearl tastes are too boring so I'm thinking about getting the flameball studded with tiny gemstones that go with the overtone colors (If the quality of the pearl is high enough). I asked to have it drilled at the top of the ball part, not through the "flames." Mine is on the top right of the first card (card 001, pearl #1).

wen1.jpg

Here are a couple of examples of what I'm talking about:

flamewgem1.jpg

flamewgem2.jpg
The diamond studded one above was done by Hisano, as part of a lovely set for a special event.

I hope it's okay to use these images. If I'm getting on anyone's nerves, please let me know. And if anyone has other ideas about the fireball pendant, please share!

Below is one of the groups of other pearls I had mentioned. At that price, I went ahead and got 18 pairs and asked for them to be drilled all the way through for a bracelet. I need less than half of them so I thought that way I could pick out the best ones. They are 10-11mm:

wen2.jpg

Last edited:
Please post tons of pictures when you get them from the postman. Good luck with your projects!

i saw one fireball that i SWEAR looked just like the shell of a snail.......
my brain filled in the body/head *no i didn't get it but boy i sure saw it finished*

i second pareltje's post photos request please
i am going to try to knot some freshwaters and i just can't seem to actually push the buy button

Vi,
Maybe you have not yet seen a strand you love? When you see a special strand that you love, it will be easier to hit the buy button.

Sea Urchin, your idea to gem-stud the flame ball is really wonderful. I have been so tempted to try that on several less than perfect pearls I have (which have fantastic color/overtone). Kind of a way to hide the blemish. I have only seen diamond "studs", but would love to find some gemstone varieties as well. Please do post photos when your pearls arrive.

Vi,
Maybe you have not yet seen a strand you love? When you see a special strand that you love, it will be easier to hit the buy button.

the problem is.......... when i see one i love..... the price is more then a new kitchen.........
i don't know how i manage that either cause i don't think i knew what i'm looking at yet

Oh, here's another one, JP. Now I'm thinking the shape of the fireball I picked out might not be the best for "studding," though.

gem1.jpg

Sea Urchin, your idea to gem-stud the flame ball is really wonderful. I have been so tempted to try that on several less than perfect pearls I have (which have fantastic color/overtone). Kind of a way to hide the blemish. I have only seen diamond "studs", but would love to find some gemstone varieties as well. Please do post photos when your pearls arrive.

so basically it's bezel set stones..... with the pearl drilled and the bezel glued in?
that should not be too hard to find either premade or get someone to do them?
*pearls with.......ohhhhhhhhh sunstone or opal or rubies.... or various colored saphires...

Sea Urchin so exciting and I love the idea, Hinsanos pearl is beautiful.
And yes please, many pictures when you receive the pearls.
Maybe I should take a look at Wen pearls and see if I can find something exciting to myself.:rolleyes:

How creative! Please keep us posted with lots of photo updates!

Love the idea of gem studded fireball! There was one on PP sale last year, that just screamed at me to make it into an octopus, with gem eyes, but it got away before I could adopt it. Good luck with your project, Sea Urchin. Trulyviolet, yes ... you'll know when you see the right pearls, but handling pearls in real life does help ... I'm not that far away, if you want to play with my pearls over lunch some day ...

Here's another example of gem studded pearls: super gorgeous freshwater keshi pearls and tiny diamonds. These happen to be prong set, but could have been bezeled, and were my first delightful "designed just for me by Hisano!!!" purchase from PP, and I still love these. There are a few diamonds on various sides so no matter how the pearls turn, you can spot a bit of sparkle. Subtle, easily worn casual with jeans and flannel :), but sparkle nonetheless.

DiamondKeshi.jpg

I wonder if pierced nose studs would work, or pierced earrings for babies?

Cathy, that's lovely and I bet it's even lovelier in person. :)

Last edited:
Thanks, Sea Urchin ... and yes, those keshi are really incredible in person. The luster and orient is just like soap bubbles in the sun.

I've decided my pearl tastes are too boring...

Sea Urchin, way to step out of the box! I thought my pearl tastes were too boring also....so I thought I was really stepping out of the box with pink/ lavender rounds. LOL!!!:confused:

Love the idea of gem studded fireball! There was one on PP sale last year, that just screamed at me to make it into an octopus, with gem eyes, but it got away before I could adopt it. Good luck with your project, Sea Urchin. Trulyviolet, yes ... you'll know when you see the right pearls, but handling pearls in real life does help ... I'm not that far away, if you want to play with my pearls over lunch some day ...

Here's another example of gem studded pearls: super gorgeous freshwater keshi pearls and tiny diamonds. These happen to be prong set, but could have been bezeled, and were my first delightful "designed just for me by Hisano!!!" purchase from PP, and I still love these. There are a few diamonds on various sides so no matter how the pearls turn, you can spot a bit of sparkle. Subtle, easily worn casual with jeans and flannel :), but sparkle nonetheless.

View attachment 45933

Those keshis are TDF, Cathy! Wow!!!

I've been pleasantly surprised with my purchases from Wen! Her photos are very accurate IMHO!

View attachment 45933

very sparkly!!!! i think maybe those pearls are more eye catching then if it was a necklace of diamonds

Thanks Pareltje and trulyviolet. Honestly, the diamonds are very small, and very subtle sparkly accents ... or maybe it's just that I can't see them when I'm wearing it LOL. But the luster and the orient of the keshis outshines the diamonds by far, and I'm okay with that :)

Back