American Freshwater River Pearl

lmgarden

A couple weeks ago i came across a tv shopping network showcasing Pearl jewelry. I was hesitant to watch, let alone buy, but after all it was all about pearls! This 14k yg ring was intriguing because it's an American freshwater pearl, farmed in Tennessee. The farm has since closed due to fertilizers, debris and pesticides run off from nearby farms. It was founded in 1963 and the first marketable pearls were not ready until 1985. The owner stored a selected few in a vault that were released recently by the owner's decendants. So I bought one - I figured I could return if I didn't like it. The pearl is 14.5mm and looks somewhat like a soufflé pearl, but it's bead nucleated.

I'm not sure if I'll keep it - it has nice luster with pink/blue overtones, and makes a statement. I welcome all thoughts and any information on this type of pearl!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 34
Wow, thanks MSC! I don't know much about American freshwater pearls - Interesting websites!

Happy to share, lmgarden! If you search for Mississippi River pearl you'll come up with even more information, mostly on natural river pearls.

Thanks for the info, MSC! Still not certain I'll keep it, I'll live with it for a while. Hmmm, now my attention is turning towards natural river pearls!!

Thank you, crickett! Still debating whether I'll keep it or not...

Thanks for the info, Lady_Disdain. No, it isn't very expensive - I think the small diamonds and 14k gold are a good part of the cost. Usually when I take time to think about a purchase, I usually send it back. I was mostly intrigued that it's an American river pearl, but thanks to MSC, I'm now more intrigued about NATURAL river pearls!

Thanks, MSC! Now I'm thinking natural river pearls... my gosh it never ends...

Thank you GemGeek!

You're welcome! ;)

I started collecting pearls bc I fell in love with natural river pearls, what a slippery slope it's been! This was my very first thread on PG, and I'm posting it here because I put up a lot of photos of antique jewelry that feature Mississippi river pearls (scattered throughout the thread): River Pearl Photos In This Thread

MSC, I LOVE your river pearl thread... you have an absolutely amazing collection. I had seen it before, and your thread is what triggered my obsession!! Only now it's become stronger (worse!). I have a few Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian pearl pieces, with natural pearls, but the pearls are not the emphasis of the pieces, and not nearly as nice as your collection! Thanks for all your guidance!!

Back