Going to Zhuji May 2016 and have many questions...

Remulus

Hi all!

Have traded pearls for over 20 years and are newly registered to this forum. Have read it many years as unregistered. Thought it was time to be active!

As stated in the title I´m going to Zhuji and the Pearl City in May 2016 as a offspring of a purchase trip to Yiwu for my company. The Zhuji visit is not the primary goal.

The last 10 years I have bought pearls from a Hong Kong trading company exhibiting in Vicenza (Vicenza Oro http://www.vicenzaoro.com/) One of the world's top 10 jewellry fair by the way. Some do mean it is the number 1, http://blog.whereinfair.com/top-15-jewellery-watch-exhibitions-trade-shows-in-the-world/ but I´m not my self sure about that.

Today, january 2016, I pay around $150-180/kilo for 10-10,5 mm freshwater pearls, commercial to A, ringed-circled, fair-good luster and $300-400/kilo for A-AA off round-near round with luster good-very good. Sorry to say, but a fact, that the quality my customer are ready to pay for is that low.

I can nowadays buy one by one strand, hand picked and since 5 years pay by invoice. No cash and carry anymore. I buy for €3-5 000 each time, normally two times a year.

My budget in Zhuji is $3000 cash and carry, and know that it´s low. Perhaps I can increase it to $5-8000 depending on the answers I get. Normally when I get to fair´s I buy to much (fell in love with to many jewellry), so $4-5000 would certainly be nearer the truth.

Questions:

Is it even worth a try to buy pearls in Zhuji with that low budget?

Are the pearls cheaper in Zhuji compared with what I pay today?

Are my thought that I can buy higher quality in Zhuji for the same money as in Vicenza, correct?

Does anyone have any company name or recommendations for me?

Does anyone have experience of doing business in Zhuji?

Any other recommendations when doing business in Zhuji or China?

Some other recommendations, perhaps to go to another place in china to do business in pearls?

Anything, whatever it is, advice would be appreciated.

Will post many pictures and tell about my experiences of the trip here later and hope that you will enjoy it.

Hava a nice day!

Sorry to see that that I do not get any answers to any one of my my questions or any advice to give me. In spite of that, I will give you a report of what I see and learn when there. See you...
Have a nice day!

Sorry. We get a lot of posts and the few people who have experience with Zhuji must have missed yours. I hope you have a wonderful trip. :)

So sorry we missed this!
Is it even worth a try to buy pearls in Zhuji with that low budget?
If you are really only focused on the lower end, yes. If you are looking for quality, your budget is too low to do much purchasing.
Are the pearls cheaper in Zhuji compared with what I pay today?
That is a loaded question because prices depend more on you than the seller or the venue. The sellers in Zhuji would love to (and try to) sell you pearls at the same prices you are paying anywhere else. They expect you to negotiate and they will ask for retail to start.
Are my thought that I can buy higher quality in Zhuji for the same money as in Vicenza, correct?
No. Well ... yes and no. What you are seeing in Vicenza is more akin to the pearls that go to Hong Kong, where they are purchased and then resold at Vicenza. The best material comes from the larger processors and they send most, often almost all, to Hong Kong.

Most dealers in Zhuji specialize in commercial grade. There are larger companies in Zhuji, in fact most of the big companies are based there, but they will only be interested in selling to you in Zhuji if you are buying a lot.

If you are looking for quality, a smaller budget would do a lot better at the show in Hong Kong.

Does anyone have any company name or recommendations for me?
In Zhuji? Shanxiahu and Angeperle are two large companies. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of smaller family businesses there that sell pearls. A recommendation is difficult because you can do well or poorly with any of them. It depends on you.
Does anyone have experience of doing business in Zhuji?
Yes

Any other recommendations when doing business in Zhuji or China?
Go to Hongqiao market in either Beijing or Shanghai first. You shouldn't go to Zhuji without benchmark pricing at least, and they are much easier places to "get your feet wet" before venturing to Zhuji (or actually Shanxiahu, which is the town close to Zhuji where the pearls are).

You might also consider getting an interpreter that is NOT associated with pearls or any pearl company. Anyone you contact in Zhuji or Shanxiahu that is related to the pearl business will be taking a cut, even if you go to multiple companies. You just won't know it and you will overpay because you have someone who is "on your side," but not really.

Lastly, everything is negotiable. But the vendors are very smart. If you negotiate them down to 25-30% of their original asking price, they will price additional lots accordingly. They may also offer you a small lot that is a really good deal - below market. If you offer them 10 cents on the dollar, they will know you don't really know/understand pricing.

Thank you all for the answers!

It was with a little despair I wrote my text yesterday. Sorry. Leaving tomorrow evening for Shanghai, the 4:th of May.

Thank you JSheperd for your answers. It´s so true that everything is negotiable. Especially the price. Even in Vizenca, in spite of that the European way of doing business mostly is fixed prices or perhaps at best 10% of.

When I buy pearls there it´s fixed prices on labels, but sometimes possible to negotiate a little. It´s normally not possible with vendors from Europe.

I wil not even try to buy the highest quality. The budget is, as you stated, to small for that. Sorry to say, but do not have costumers ready to pay for that.

The price I´m willing to pay will at highest be around 50% of the price in Vicenza. If it´s not possible to get the pearls for that, it´s not even worth the effort to try. It will then be to costly with travel expences, transport and shipping.

Perhaps the trip to Zhuji, or more correctly Shanxiahu, only will be a tourist trip to see and learn more about pearls.

Promise to take a lot of pictures and write about my experiences when I´m back the 18:th of May.

Have a nice day and thank you again for all the answers!

If you are not used to haggling in China, I would suggest you first get some general practice before you start seriously with pearls. On my trip to China years ago I found that just a few days of practice helped a lot. (I am from Southern Europe, so I had had some exposure before.)

Have a great trip, and we look forward to your photos and stories.

If you are not used to haggling in China, I would suggest you first get some general practice before you start seriously with pearls. On my trip to China years ago I found that just a few days of practice helped a lot. (I am from Southern Europe, so I had had some exposure before.)

Have a great trip, and we look forward to your photos and stories.

I completely agree! Negotiation is expected and they are very good at it. You will hear the phrase "no, lose money" over and over again. Expect the initial quotes prices from just about every vendor to be around 3 times what they are really expecting to sell for.

Great advice, Jeremy!! Thanks for the insight into wholesale buying! Safe travels, Remulus - looking forward to your travel report!

Thanks...is the Hongqiao pearl market worth a visit? Are there any particular vendors I should visit, or alternatively not visit?

JP - there is an earlier post about the HongQiao market. I think Jeremy bought his first pearls from LingLing on the 4th floor? They are still friends so you can mention Jeremy sent you. If you do a search you should be able to find that earlier thread!

Hi all!
Just want to tell you that I´m allmost alive after the trip to Zhuji and Shan Xia Hu Town and the Pearl market. Took the bus from Yiwu 07.00 am and was back around 21.00 (9.00 pm) at the hotel after a amazing and VERY tiering trip and experience.
I have seen pearls in quality and sizes that I only heard exist on the Earth but never seen. My budget is blown totaly. Bought more than 20 kg (40 Pound) of pearls and especially a amazing necklace of 12-15 mm Edison pearls of AA1 quality.
Have so much to tell about the trip and will, later. This is just a teezer and message that I´m still alive.
God what I love pearls! Even more after this trip.
Have a nice day and thank you again for all the answers!

This is acually the third time I try to post this, and if there is double or triple of it, I kindly ask a moderator to remove the others, China internet is not good. Sorry...

Glad you had a successful trip. I can't wait to hear (and see) more.

Back