First Natural Colored Freshwater Pearl Purchase

MSC

Natural Pearl Lover
I've purchased cheapie dyed CFWP in the distant past, but became disinterested in FWP and got more into naturals in recent years. I found a vendor recently on Etsy (CINDERRUBY) that was selling natural colored light grey FWP, so I pulled the trigger.
What do you all think, do they look like natural colored greys? I've never seen natural colored greys in person before so I have little visual comparison.
il_fullxfull.874768725_jp6d.jpg
il_fullxfull.874996500_8mjr.jpg

I have a strand from Catherine Cardellini and they look similar, in her listing she didn't say dyed pearls, so I'm hoping mine are natural colour too. Yours are lovely enjoy.

Catherine Cardellini is Cathybear here on P-G.
I see she has a profile on Etsy under her own name but there are no items for sale.

The shop owner of CINDERRUBY is listed as Frank Lee of Arlington VA, in the sidebar; Catherine C. is in Australia.

I have been under the impression that all gray fw pearls were dyed, but maybe they are not? The strands certainly display a variety of tones. I'd be interested in what Jeremy has to say about this.

Last edited:
The pearls are certainly pretty ... I too will be hoping to hear Jeremy's opinion.

Andrea, Catherine is from Australia, she has she own website with lots of lovely pearl pieces.

I think the grey fresh waters, thou not actually dyed began as the less desirable peachy colors and have been treated or chemically enhanced to produce the grey tones.

You've reminded me with this thread. I got some grey pearls which I was told were natural colour undyed or otherwise un-colour-treated in any way. I must dig them out from the pile! They looked (from memory) like pearls which had had a nasty shock; rather more lacking in any colour at all rather than having grey colour, if that makes sense.

Hmmm very curious... I hope you can find those pearls of yours, Pearlescense, please post photos if you do!
Kat, those do look distinctly lavender to me. Looking forward to having these in hand so I can post some in person photos.

You know this thread has made me remember the vintage Lake Biwa pearls a number of us bought from TPO back in 2008. I subsequently resold mine because the color didn't work with my graying hair, pretty as they were to look at. They were supposed to be lavender (and the photo posted by the vendor looked lavender) but the 2 strands I received were decidedly silver-gray. No hint of lavender, not to me.
And they were supposed to be natural color.

Here is the thread with photos:
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?2921-Lake-Biwa-Pearls

I have bought from Cinderruby before. Just some white ripples, which were a pretty good price. Those grey are pretty. Id love to hear if they were actually grey and not treated

Here are a couple of very quick pix of the natural colour greys...some looking almost natural white now I've got them back here, while others are delicate lavender/lilac. There's one strand with a touch of pond slimeyness too.
nat col 1.jpg
nat col 2.jpg
They were described as new and natural grey but I would call some natural white (it is a soft white. no overtones) and others are a lovely very pale lilac. Very pretty Never seen anything like. Others may?

I always assumed whole gray strands are dyed or irradiated. The gray natural colored freshies seem hard to come by and are usually placed in multicolored strands. The natural gray one I see usually are metallic in color - either rainbowish, with green, peach or lavender hues.

Not a fan of dyed pearls but if they are nice i will buy them. :) I got an affordable light gray strand to match 14mm studs below. The studs I find beautiful. :)

image.jpg

I also bought dark grays which are deadringers for Tahitians.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Btw, my reference as gray is South Sea kind of gray, or gray body color . Some natural whites have a grayish/bluish/lavender overtones and may appear gray? Would like the opinion of others as well. :)

Back