Junk pearls?

cblebrun

My mother in law told me that these are not real pearls because they are not knotted between each pearl. Is that true? There are no knots but the clasp is sterling. I was wondering what kind of pearls these are...

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 30
The pearls are real, as in cultured fresh water pearls, however, the quality is not great.

Just because there are knots between each pearl does not necessary indicate they are real, or vice versa.

Sterling silver clasp is quite cheap to buy, against its presence is not indicative of quality.

DK :)

cblebrun,

Welcome! Yes, cultured freshwater pearls from China, and possibly pretty red garnet beads, too! Many imitation pearls are knotted to make them look more "real." And as DK mentioned, genuine cultured pearls are not always knotted, either. Your pearls are all nacre; they didn't form over a bead, which is why they are more egg shape than round. I hope you will enjoy your pretty necklace.

Agreed, Chinese freshwater pearls that are solid nacre. These will be very durable.

I've used garnet beads in my stringing but they tend to have more inclusions than the red beads in your necklace. I'm thinking they are glass beads.

Hi, would you please give us a picture on a white paper towel? to see the pearls and beads better, for fun.

Hi there, It's very common to string pearls and stones and metal beads together on beading wire or thread to make a fashion necklace. The way is it constructed has nothing to do with whether or not they are real pearls. They are real pearls as has been pointed out above. The are inexpensive pearls fashioned into a fun pretty necklace. Enjoy !

Back