Older pearls recently started peeling

Brownowl

Hi, I was given a set of pearls 40 years ago and the box was branded as Mikimoto. I wore them rarely as the set was a bit small. I had always stored them away and recently noticed that some of the pearls are now peeling. I was horrified as I had always planned to leave them to my daughter. Does this peeling, after 40 years now mean that they are fake?

Where did you store them? Pearls are best not stored in a safe-- there is not enough moisture. (I wonder if that could make them peel?)

I have 40+ year old akoya that I plan on handing down to my daughter, too! Please do post lots of pictures on a white background. Close-ups of the drill-hole area of the pearls and any area you are concerned about will be useful for us to see. And close-ups of the clasp and any marks on the clasp. If the box is original, it would be nice to see pictures of the box, too. Sharp photos are the best so we can see what you are seeing.

We're happy to "take a look" and there are many true pearl experts on this forum. Welcome!

Older pearls recently started peeling

Hi, I was given a set of pearls 40 years ago and the box was branded as Mikimoto. I wore them rarely as the set was a bit small. I had always stored them away and recently noticed that some of the pearls are now peeling. I was horrified as I had always planned to leave them to my daughter. Does this peeling, after 40 years now mean that they are fake?

On closer inspection the entire strand looks in very poor quality. The photo shows the original clasp which was changed out about 15 years ago when I also had the double knotting done. They have been stored away and I had no idea I was doing more harm than good.
I expect that all will confirm these are indeed fake. At least I had the joy of thinking I was given a gift of beauty for many years.
Not sure the attached will display properly. I've not used this type of blog before.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 204
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 197
Hello, I don't have the original box. From memory it was pale blue. It came as a set with the string of 'pearls' plus a brooch with pearls. I gave the brooch in the box to a friend and had always stored them in one of those little silk purses in a jewellry box.
I've worn them only once in the last 25 years, at my wedding. They started out as the palest of cream but have darkened considerably over time to this cappuccino cream colour.

Very sad to say that they are artificial pearls. Thanks for supplying the photos. :)

Oh, join the disappointed club. I've been a member for decades. My grandmother gave my sister and I "ruby" rings with huge cushion cut rubies. I thought I'd been given a treasure fit for a pirate's treasure chest. They were totally fake.

The good news is, you can buy pearls that you and your daughter will love for a very reasonable price. Searching and researching is half the fun. And we here are all good at advising and helping you spend your money! The least expensive would be freshwater pearls which are all nacre (no peeling, no bead -- pure nacre through and through). There are pros and cons to all round(ish) white pearls but they are all beautiful in their own way. Let us know if you decide to investigate the world of pearls.

Sympathy on the fake pearls! My FIL believed the strand of pearls he gave my MIL were real. After they had both passed away, I discovered the pearls were fake. Like yours, they had yellowed as well.

BAS is right. Cultured Chinese freshwater pearls are quite affordable. Even if you don't desire to wear pearls yourself, you can get a very nice strand for your daughter without breaking the bank.

Thank you

Thank you

Oh, join the disappointed club. I've been a member for decades. My grandmother gave my sister and I "ruby" rings with huge cushion cut rubies. I thought I'd been given a treasure fit for a pirate's treasure chest. They were totally fake.

The good news is, you can buy pearls that you and your daughter will love for a very reasonable price. Searching and researching is half the fun. And we here are all good at advising and helping you spend your money! The least expensive would be freshwater pearls which are all nacre (no peeling, no bead -- pure nacre through and through). There are pros and cons to all round(ish) white pearls but they are all beautiful in their own way. Let us know if you decide to investigate the world of pearls.

Thank you everyone for your kind responses and comments.
I know that when I do invest in a set I will be sensible enough to encourage my daughter to wear and enjoy them.
Have a happy Christmas everyone. I really like this blog and will follow it with interest.
I have much to learn.
Best wishes

My first strand of pearls many years ago was fake but I still loved it and used it a lot :)

- Karin

Many years ago our family dentist would allow the children to select a prize from his treasure chest after a successful dental visit. One year our dear son selected an adjustable ruby ring. Over the dinner table DH and I are talking about the fake jewelry the dentist has, and our DS became quite agitated. "We need to call the dentist right away!". "Why?" we asked him. "He thinks these are real rubies and sapphires, and we need to let him know that they are fakes!"

It's sad when you have to destroy another illusion of childhood. That dental treasure chest was never the same for DS again.

Many years ago our family dentist would allow the children to select a prize from his treasure chest after a successful dental visit. One year our dear son selected an adjustable ruby ring. Over the dinner table DH and I are talking about the fake jewelry the dentist has, and our DS became quite agitated. "We need to call the dentist right away!". "Why?" we asked him. "He thinks these are real rubies and sapphires, and we need to let him know that they are fakes!"

It's sad when you have to destroy another illusion of childhood. That dental treasure chest was never the same for DS again.

Oh what a lovely story and what a child friendly dentist you have.

Back